• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need a new topcoat for Canadian winter

LEVOOSH

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2009
Messages
466
Reaction score
193
September hit and its starting to get cold here in Toronto. I'm looking for a nice topcoat, double or single breasted, pretty conservative cut, would love it to have some kind oif interesting texture, maybe a herringbone, with a budget of between $500-$700 dollars CAD. If anyone knows of a good MTM option, it doesn't need to be an off the rack purchase, but I'm probably well below anything of quality MTM at this price point.

Hopefully with that budget ill have some options but keep in mind that in Canada we are limited to no Nordstrom Racks, Off Fifths or the like and Holts last call is a joke.

I'm a young lawyer so it would be for everyday commuting by bus and subway from fall through the heart of winter.

Just looking for some suggestions or if someone has something in B&S that I haven't seen, please let me know.
 

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
4,688
Reaction score
66
Originally Posted by LEVOOSH
September hit and its starting to get cold here in Toronto. I'm looking for a nice topcoat, double or single breasted, pretty conservative cut, would love it to have some kind oif interesting texture, maybe a herringbone, with a budget of between $500-$700 dollars CAD. If anyone knows of a good MTM option, it doesn't need to be an off the rack purchase, but I'm probably well below anything of quality MTM at this price point.

Hopefully with that budget ill have some options but keep in mind that in Canada we are limited to no Nordstrom Racks, Off Fifths or the like and Holts last call is a joke.

I'm a young lawyer so it would be for everyday commuting by bus and subway from fall through the heart of winter.

Just looking for some suggestions or if someone has something in B&S that I haven't seen, please let me know.


Does your work take you to the US? If it does you can usually find them on sale within your price range.
 

HankRearden1

Active Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2010
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by LEVOOSH
September hit and its starting to get cold here in Toronto.


As a fellow Canadian living on the prairies I find this hilarious; did it drop below 10C in Toronto? Kidding aside, it is tough to find a warm topcoat that looks professional and I'm interested in suggestions to this dilemma.
 

Bull

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 12, 2010
Messages
1,285
Reaction score
3
I'm going to get flak for this, but take a gander at Banana Republic. Yes, yes, yes, I get it - BR is shit. But I never hesitate to mix hi and low and BR fall coats have always served me well. There. I said it.
 

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
654
Originally Posted by LEVOOSH
Holts last call is a joke.

I've managed to find a nice overcoat or 2 at Last Call so I wouldn't rule it out entirely.
 

Bull

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 12, 2010
Messages
1,285
Reaction score
3
What's Holts?

#CanadaEh?
 

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
2,952
Reaction score
45
On the prairies you don't need a topcoat you need an artic parka. Layer underneath it. Is it already below 10C ? Yikes. Reminds me why I moved.

The problem is the budget. Best to buy stuff like this when it's hot out and everybody wants swim wear.

If you can make do until after boxing day that might be your best option.
 

HankRearden1

Active Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2010
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Nicola
Is it already below 10C ? Yikes. Reminds me why I moved.

It was 4C this morning


I wear a Canada Goose parka when it below -30C. Warmer than that I usually get away with my DB Crombie coat.
 

denning

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
1,292
Reaction score
167
Originally Posted by Nicola
On the prairies you don't need a topcoat you need an artic parka. Layer underneath it.

Part 1, Not necessarily true. Part 2, fully agreed. If you have prairie antifreeze in your veins then you don't need to go full parka. I live in Winnipeg and wear topcoats year round, even in the January -40 degree weather. Wear a scarf, wear a sweater and you are good to go. The most important things are the hat and the gloves. It's about keeping the extremities warm.
 

HankRearden1

Active Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2010
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by denning
I live in Winnipeg and wear topcoats year round

Ahh a fellow Winnipegger, thought I was the only one on here.
 

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 28, 2010
Messages
1,873
Reaction score
99
Is there not a Brooks Brothers in TO? I was in there the other day here and they had some decent topcoats in the 700-800 range but they have a big promo right now with $200 off of $800.

+1 on BR. I agree much of their clothing is shit but I have had some good luck with their jackets/coats. At least a few years ago.
 

LEVOOSH

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2009
Messages
466
Reaction score
193
Thanks guys for the responses.

Brooks Brothers is an excellent suggestion..totally forgot that they're here. I'll check it out.

Trini - the problem with last call is its such a pain to get up there. I went last night and being unsuccesful after trekking up there sucks.

Re: BR - im pretty sure that they have something that would function well as a fall topcoat, but I want to get through the winter here with just my suit jacket on most days, maybe a light sweater and I'm not convinced from what I've seen there previously that they would have anything truly warm enough.
 

trader

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2008
Messages
582
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
Is there not a Brooks Brothers in TO? I was in there the other day here and they had some decent topcoats in the 700-800 range but they have a big promo right now with $200 off of $800. +1 on BR. I agree much of their clothing is shit but I have had some good luck with their jackets/coats. At least a few years ago.
is that 200 off 800 on anything? probably still doesn't work out to less than shipping from the states though. ill have to head down and check it out there's lots of topcoats at harry rosen outlet now. some nice current season EZ samples all in 40R (from what I saw a month ago)
 

Wrenkin

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2006
Messages
820
Reaction score
134
Originally Posted by trader
is that 200 off 800 on anything? probably still doesn't work out to less than shipping from the states though. ill have to head down and check it out

there's lots of topcoats at harry rosen outlet now. some nice current season EZ samples all in 40R (from what I saw a month ago)


I don't know if they're still doing it, but for old stock Brooks in Vancouver had this semi-permanent "take 15% off 'currency adjustment'" sale, in recognition of their absurd initial pricing strategy. The new fall stuff is actually priced much more in line with US Retail + Shipping, so it's hardly worth it anymore to go online, especially if you're worried about duty.
 

vilinx

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
J Crew has topcoats with a Thinsulate lining. I wouldn't make it through a cold winter without this.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,641
Messages
9,454,563
Members
198,152
Latest member
ja55mon
Top