• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a math text book recomendation

ms244

Reaction score
I have my qualifier on monday, on the old exams I have it states that I am allowed a math text book of my choice.

Would someone here perhaps know of a good reference I could use? It should cover the following.

Taylor and other series derivations

Directional derivates and vectors

Comprehensive laplace table

ODE of all sorts

Eigenvalues and vectors

Matricies

Linear Algebra

Lagrange Methods

Newton's Method

Um, probably some other stuff I'm missing
shog[1].gif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
I have my qualifier on monday, on the old exams I have it states that I am allowed a math text book of my choice.

Would someone here perhaps know of a good reference I could use? It should cover the following.

ODE of all sorts

Eigenvalues and vectors

Matricies

Linear Algebra

Lagrange Methods

Newton's Method

shog[1].gif

It will be difficult to find a single book that encompasses all that,

The first set you list is related to vector calculus and differential equations.

Matrices might be represented but it will be sparse. lagrange/newton's method might be skimmed over, but you'll want a real numerical methods book for that.

I have Cullen's Advanced Engineering Mathematics. It's pretty badly written but it touches on most of the things you mention.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=x7uW...mbnail#PPR9,M1

ms244

Reaction score
I think it will be focused more on the latter part of undergrad math, so it should reflect that with perhaps the stuff that was in calc 3 and diff equations being more prevalent.

I emailed the guy who is in charge of the math portion of the exam but he is out on travel. Must be nice.

Reaction score
Click the link, it has the complete table of contents.

Best bet is an engineering-level math book, because all you mentioned are tools we use regularly, so most if not all should be covered. Stay away from basic calculus or mathematician level tomes.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Edwards and Penney's "Differential Equations and Linear Algebra" as it at least briefly treats all those topics IIRC, having both the Calc end as well as the Matrix stuff. Runge-Kutta, too. I used it in my Linear Methods/DiffEq mashup course that was post Calc III. http://wps.prenhall.com/esm_edwards_...-/t/index.html

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make your own textbook of color copies and have it bound.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I agree with Zill-Cullen's Advanced Engineering Mathematics. Pretty sure it hits everything you need.

injung

Reaction score
Is there even a book that covers all those subjects? When I took those classes we had 400 page books just for each of the things you mentioned.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Yes. It's called "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Zill and Cullen.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it is still printed, but my highschool math text, a two book set covers what you listed and more.
Mathematics: the core course for A level
Further pure Mathematics

Both by Bostock and Chandler

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ODE of all sorts

Eigenvalues and vectors

Matricies

Linear Algebra

Lagrange Methods

Newton's Method

shog[1].gif

Originally Posted by 65535
It will be difficult to find a single book that encompasses all that,

The first set you list is related to vector calculus and differential equations.

Matrices might be represented but it will be sparse. lagrange/newton's method might be skimmed over, but you'll want a real numerical methods book for that.

I have Cullen's Advanced Engineering Mathematics. It's pretty badly written but it touches on most of the things you mention.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=x7uW...mbnail#PPR9,M1

I think it will be focused more on the latter part of undergrad math, so it should reflect that with perhaps the stuff that was in calc 3 and diff equations being more prevalent.

I emailed the guy who is in charge of the math portion of the exam but he is out on travel. Must be nice.

Originally Posted by 65535
Click the link, it has the complete table of contents.

Best bet is an engineering-level math book, because all you mentioned are tools we use regularly, so most if not all should be covered. Stay away from basic calculus or mathematician level tomes.

Originally Posted by Huntsman
Perhaps Edwards and Penney's "Differential Equations and Linear Algebra" as it at least briefly treats all those topics IIRC, having both the Calc end as well as the Matrix stuff. Runge-Kutta, too. I used it in my Linear Methods/DiffEq mashup course that was post Calc III.

http://wps.prenhall.com/esm_edwards_...-/t/index.html

Originally Posted by tiecollector
Make your own textbook of color copies and have it bound.

Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I agree with Zill-Cullen's Advanced Engineering Mathematics. Pretty sure it hits everything you need.

Originally Posted by injung
Is there even a book that covers all those subjects? When I took those classes we had 400 page books just for each of the things you mentioned.

Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Yes. It's called "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Zill and Cullen.

Originally Posted by Merlino
In college I used this book for my first couple math courses:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematical.../dp/0199249725

I really don't remember whether it covered all of the topics you mentioned, though.

Originally Posted by T4phage
I don't know if it is still printed, but my highschool math text, a two book set covers what you listed and more.
Mathematics: the core course for A level
Further pure Mathematics

Both by Bostock and Chandler

NERD ALERT

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but we rock it hard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads