• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a little help with D'Artisan jeans

RBales

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on some SDA jeans, and I have a couple questions. Since this is a purchase I've been wrestling with for some time, I figured I would make sure I got it right the first time.

I'm looking at the SD-101 and I'm not sure what size to get. Most of the info I've read says that the tagged size is the size the jeans will shrink to after a wash, is that true?

Also, I have a Nudie SSDS in 32" waist and it fits well. It stretched a lot and now I can wear it with a somewhat longer crotch, which I like, but I'm sure I could have fit into a 31" waist as well. What size would you guys recommend for the SD-101? A 32? Or maybe a 31"? And I should soak them in warm water before wearing, right?

Sorry for so many questions guys, I just want to get my first japanese denim purchase right. Thanks!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

DrTolo

Reaction score
This is a difficult question because everyone has their own preferences for fit, as well as their own practices for washing. I cannot give you objective advice, but I can tell you what I do personally, that has always worked for me.

First thing you must understand is that the amount of shrinkage is completely based on how often you wash. For example, I try to go at least 60 wears between washes, more before first wash, so they just keep stretching (sometimes as many as 4 sizes!) Second thing is that the amount of stretching that occurs is completely based on how tight the jeans are, and how you wear them. The length is the only dimension that you have no control over (trying to stretch out length is a poor decision imho), so just assume you will lose at least 2 inches in length after the first wash.

Do you have access to Studios Ds? Can you try them on? If not I would just play it safe and go 2 sizes down. The way they do the sizing is they account for 2 inches of shrinkage, so yes, theoretically a 34 is suppose to shrink down to a 32. However, if you can try them on, I would buy the smallest size you can get on, because they do stretch A LOT. I am personally a fan of jeans fitting very snug in the rump, and the knee, because then you get great natural wear patterns on the front pockets and behind the knees. If you buy jeans that are WAY to tight at first, they will eventually stretch to the perfect fit in those areas.

Last of all, don't stress to much over sizing. As long as you love em, and wear the hell out of em, they will look great. Just don't baby them. The only real thing you need to worry about is spilling anything on them that is going to make you want to wash them, but short of that, just live your normal life and wear them almost every day. The key to keeping them smelling fresh is just to NEVER throw them on the ground over night. Always hang them up to air out, and you could go years before first wash if you really want.

Good luck. Post pics!

RBales

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice DrTolo.

I'm planning on going at least 9 months before washing them. My nudies are at about 3 months now and they're just starting to take off, but I've heard that D'Artisans need to be worn for longer to get the great fade that I've seen on some of the pairs on the other SF.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to try on a pair, since my dad's in japan on business and he's the one who will be bringing them back for me. It sounds like you like your jeans tighter than I normally like mine, so would you recommend I go only one size down and ask my dad to get me the 31s? Or would one size down mean I need to ask for the 33s?

moykky

Reaction score
They are true to size. I wouldn't size down. Size 34 is going to shrink down to 34, NOT 32. I'm normally 29/30 on most jeans and did buy size 30, which shrinked to tag size after warm soak. I wanted a little bit relaxed fit, hence the 501 repro but sd-103 was really fitted (if not tapered). I sold them and got size 32 (which also shrinked to tag size) because I wanted a bit loose fit. Too bad I didn't take pictures of me wearing the sz 30... I would take sz 31 if I were you. Jeans will always stretch bigger but very rarely will shrink in time...
smile.gif

DrTolo

Reaction score
RBales,

I don't know how Nudies are cut, so it would be difficult for me to use them as a frame of reference. I will repeat though that the size you buy is dependent on how often you wash.

If you buy Studio D size 32, they will be cut like a 34 before they ever touch H20. If you don't wash for 9 months, they will stretch to at least a 35, maybe more depending on how you wear them. As soon as you wash, yeah they will shrink, but if you wear 'em wet until they dry, they will stretch right back out to a 34 or a 35.

If you intend on washing regularly after your first wash, you should definitely just go true to size and buy a 34 if you are a 34. But if you are going to try to go as long between washes as possible (which I would recommend to not only get the best wear patterns, but to extend the life of the denim), you should go 2 sizes down, and that will still be safe. I'm sure they will be hard to button at first, but do some squats every time you put "˜em on and they'll fit great in 3 days. You will be very surprised at how much they will stretch.

RBales

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I had my dad pick up the SD-101 in a size 31 from store in Osaka and he should be bringing them for me when he gets back from Japan, probably at the end of October or so. I'll post pics when I get them. Thanks for all your help!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how much are they in Osaka just out of curiosity?

btw where are you from in WI?

RBales

Reaction score
My dad said he paid about $200 for them. Whether or not this is a good deal, and even whether or not this number is accurate (my dad doesn't always like to give out dollar amounts) I can't speak to, but $200 is still far less than any other stateside option I've seen. And I'm from Madison, about 20 minutes from Context (though I admit, I've never even been in the store
redface.gif
) I feel ashamed.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RBales
My dad said he paid about $200 for them. Whether or not this is a good deal, and even whether or not this number is accurate (my dad doesn't always like to give out dollar amounts) I can't speak to, but $200 is still far less than any other stateside option I've seen.

And I'm from Madison, about 20 minutes from Context (though I admit, I've never even been in the store
redface.gif
) I feel ashamed.

Ah, I'm from Madison originally as well, although I've been out here in CA for the last six years or so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads