• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a little help decising what suit to wear to wake and funeral

Closer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I used to be very styleforum active. I used to buy a new suit almost every week. For the last 2 years, I have not really been buying suits or even wearing suits for that matter.

Anyway, I have to attend a wake and a funeral. The father of the CEO of my company has passed. I was invited by the boss's family. Anyway the wake is tomorrow. The funeral is Thursday. The wake is indoors. The funeral will be partly outside in Houston weather. I have a few choices. These are known SF brands.

Choice 1.) Dark grey Piombo, 2-3 roll suit. This is my favorite suit. Problem is that it is in a winter weight fabric. I am considering wearing it to the wake tomorrow night. It will be a 80 degree evening in Houston, but the wake will be indoors. This is definitely not an option for the outdoor funeral.

Choice 2.) Cantarelli, dark grey, totally unlined, unconstructed, 2-3 roll, with patch pockets. This is my favorite summer suit. Considering wearing this one to the funeral outdoors or possibly wearing this to the wake and the funeral. This suit is very comfortable in hot weather.

Choice 3.) Costume National, black, wool/silk, partially lined summer suit. This suit is very comfortable in hot weather too. The problem is that it is Costume National from 3-4 years ago. It is a 2 button with a very, very high button stance. The button stance really bothers me on this jacket. It looks OK unbuttoned. It looks like crap with only the top button buttoned. It actually looks better with both buttons buttoned. I really despise having both buttons bottoned though. The suit also seems a little fasion forward for the occasion.

So... should I wear a winter weight Piombo suit to the wake, and the Cantarelli to the funeral

Or .... wear the Cantarelli to both

Or .... wear the Cantarelli to the wake and the Costume National to the Funeral

help me pick the lesser of 3 evils please

GradSchooler

Reaction score
I don't know. Unstructured suit to a funeral seems a little disrespectful to me. I tend to think of unstructured suits as being more appropriate for party/casual settings where you can let loose a little. Unless this is a very untraditional funeral, I'm not sure that's the appearance you want to give.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I would think that a funeral would be the last place that someone would nitpick a seasonal weight of a suit or a 3/2 vs a 2 button. Wear something respectful and sedate, black, and dont think twice.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Call me crazy, but I would think that a funeral would be the last place that someone would nitpick a seasonal weight of a suit or a 3/2 vs a 2 button. Wear something respectful and sedate, black, and dont think twice.
I'm with Spoo on this, even if it's the same suit for both days.

Octoberfile

Reaction score
I smell an opportunity to go out and buy yourself a nice brand new black suit to replace the costume national that's about ready for the goodwill drive.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
lxHCll.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads