• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a good tailor in Northern NJ

blaidan

Reaction score
I am fairly new to the thread and recently purchased a new sportcoat and a couple pairs of pants. I need a good tailor in Northen NJ, Essex County. If any one is from the area I could a use a name of a tailor that actually knows what he's doing.

Thanks.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can try Carlos at Summit Tailors in Summit, NJ (Union County I believe). I used him for working buttonholes on a suit that he did a very good job on. He's a little on the expensive side though. I take my regular alterations to Angelo Custom Tailor in Clifton, NJ (Passaic County I believe).

Maggio

Reaction score
What do you consider expensive? Just wondering because the guy I use (D'Alessio Tailoring Shop in Nutley) seems high, but I am not sure that he actually is. He does a good job, however, and I continue to go to him.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to post actual prices that might be innaccurate, I just remember noting at the time that he charged more than other tailors charge for the same thing.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you are so close to nyc, why not just use nyc tailors? I messed around with NJ tailors for far too long...

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
you are so close to nyc, why not just use nyc tailors? I messed around with NJ tailors for far too long...

Just because they're in NYC doesn't mean that they're better.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Just because they're in NYC doesn't mean that they're better.
No. The fact that they are better than any tailor I've found in New Jersey means that they're better.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. The fact that they are better than any tailor I've found in New Jersey means that they're better.

You've tried every tailor in New Jersey?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
You've tried every tailor in New Jersey?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW I think NJ is the best place to be and am proud to call it my home. My Manhattan pad is just a place of convenience. NJ 4 life

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience with NY tailors has been the same as my experience with NJ tailors. It's kind of like shopping at an outlet store - somewhere in a huge bundle of crap there's a gem. In NY, there's just a bigger bundle of crap to sort through.

Personally, I don't go to NYC to go to a tailor because it's inconvenient and expensive. I have to either take the train - which means that I have to lug a nice suit or bunch of suits around with me to the train, then into NYC, onto the subway, then walk it wherever I have to go. If I drive I have to pay all the tolls, inevitably get stuck in traffic and waste a whole day just going to the tailor. I don't really think there's any alterations tailor in NYC that's that much better than the good tailors in NJ that it's worth all the hassle.

Now if I were going to a tailor to get a bespoke suit made - that would be a different story.

EDIT:

BTW I think NJ is the best place to be and am proud to call it my home. My Manhattan pad is just a place of convenience. NJ 4 life

Now if I had a pad in NYC, that would take away a lot of the inconvenience issues.
smile.gif

montmorency

Reaction score
zjpj83, if you're anywhere near Summit, you should visit Carlos at Summit Tailors. You may very well find him to be equal or superior to any NY tailor you have ever used. I used a number of tailors when I lived in NYC and have used a few in NJ too, but Carlos is the best I've ever found.

kyle parks

Reaction score
There is a Tailor Shop in Denville, NJ. Two guys own the shop and will take care of your tailoring needs. These guys are excellent and have the knowledge that you can trust. I have been using B & J Custom Tailoring for 10 Years. They have made me suits, shirts and altered clothing that I bought else were. My wife and I are big people and finding anything to ware is no simple task. Barry, the owner, told me what I needed to look for when I bought clothing. His suggestions were right on the money and it saved me a lot in tailoring cost. I appreciate their honesty and the pride that they have for their skill. Kyle Parks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads