• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need a good stylist for reasonable px in Midtown NY

KhouriC

Reaction score
I am sick of getting haircuts that i need to grow out to get a half-way decent looking style.

I have thick semi-wavy (when longer) hair and lately it has degenerated into a poof. Normally i just do a flip up in the front but i am looking for something a little more mature. I know the shape of your face plays into what type of hair cut one should get so i have a rounded face with prominent cheek bones and dimples.

any suggestions on stylists and or styles? thanks in advance

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The man for you is definitely Giuseppe Franco.

KhouriC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
The man for you is definitely Giuseppe Franco.

i assume this is a joke since there is a youtube video link, pity i can't watch it since my work blocks that site.

seriously though, any suggestions

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KhouriC
i assume this is a joke since there is a youtube video link, pity i can't watch it since my work blocks that site.

seriously though, any suggestions

What is reasonably priced?

datasupa

Reaction score
i have a similar question.

i have no knowledge of any sort. what kinds of knowledge should i acquire?

thanks in advance.

KhouriC

Reaction score
What is reasonably priced?

lately, i have been paying about 35 for a haircut that is alright but there is another place near my work that i was thinking of trying that starts out at around 60.

What are the price ranges for "good" mens haircut? What is exorbitant?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lately, i have been paying about 35 for a haircut that is alright but there is another place near my work that i was thinking of trying that starts out at around 60.

What are the price ranges for "good" mens haircut? What is exorbitant?

I get a nice haircut I enjoy at Salon Ishi on 55th and Park. $80 + tips. But that usually comes out to about $100-$105 so probably too high. I'm sure if you hound around you can get a great value for $60, but I don't know where.

redtree00

Reaction score
MetroStyles, if you were getting your hair cut by Chantal I am sorry to tell you that as of January 1st she is no longer working at Salon Ishi.
She is now at the Phyto Salon off Lexington Ave. Price is the same, $90.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redtree00
MetroStyles, if you were getting your hair cut by Chantal I am sorry to tell you that as of January 1st she is no longer working at Salon Ishi.
She is now at the Phyto Salon off Lexington Ave. Price is the same, $90.

No, I get it cut with Victor. Was Chantal one of the cute ones?

jleeo225

Reaction score
How about Bumble and bumble on 56 st between Lex and 3rd?

KhouriC

Reaction score
Wrap-up: Made an apt at a place called "Vijin" in the concourse of Rockefeller Plaza. It is a Japanese hair salon and i had Kumiko. Bottom-line, I am pleased with the cut.

Cost me 70. 57 for the cut itself, 10 for tip and 3 for the girl who washed my hair. This is the only part i have a question on; did i tip too much, too little?

Nice thing was after having my hair washed and cut, my hair was then washed again to get the loose hair out. Also, they let you take your dress shirt off and wear an in-store cover so you don't get hair on your clothing.

This is the most i have ever spent on a cut but in my opinion it was worth it. Only downside is the time it takes to get the hair cut, about 45min to an hr and the english barrier. Those R's and L's are killers for the Japanese to pronounce.

Score from 1-10 (10 being best) based on value, customer service, and actual cut: 8.

Next, I might try Bumble and Bumble since it is a lot closer to my place.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wrap-up: Made an apt at a place called "Vijin" in the concourse of Rockefeller Plaza. It is a Japanese hair salon and i had Kumiko. Bottom-line, I am pleased with the cut.

Cost me 70. 57 for the cut itself, 10 for tip and 3 for the girl who washed my hair. This is the only part i have a question on; did i tip too much, too little?

Nice thing was after having my hair washed and cut, my hair was then washed again to get the loose hair out. Also, they let you take your dress shirt off and wear an in-store cover so you don't get hair on your clothing.

This is the most i have ever spent on a cut but in my opinion it was worth it. Only downside is the time it takes to get the hair cut, about 45min to an hr and the english barrier. Those R's and L's are killers for the Japanese to pronounce.

Score from 1-10 (10 being best) based on value, customer service, and actual cut: 8.

Next, I might try Bumble and Bumble since it is a lot closer to my place.

Welcome to the world of higher-end haircuts. Once you do it, you never go back, much to your wallet's dismay.

I usually tip 19% to the stylist and $5 to the hair-washer. $1-2 to the woman who takes my coat/shirt and gives me the robe. Although I have no idea what norms are, this is just what I do.

redtree00

Reaction score
No, I get it cut with Victor. Was Chantal one of the cute ones?

Chantal is the older lady that worked out of the second floor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads