1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Need a good sneaker to travel with (only one I'm taking)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TimelesStyle, Mar 23, 2011.

1. transient

transient Senior member

i'd just go with chucks

Wrong. No arch support.

2. Threak

Threak Senior member

I went backpacking in Mexico last summer, with a brand new pair of merlot high-top chucks on my feet and LL Bean Iron Works Boots strapped to my pack. It must be because I've been wearing chucks regularly for a while, but comfort/support is never an issue. I'd wear the chucks on most days, and the boots for hiking, rainy days and horseback riding.

The chucks, as well as the 3Sixteen jeans I was wearing, came back beautifully distressed. I'd just given the jeans their second wash before leaving, and they didn't have all that much fading. Then we get caught in a surprise downpour while visiting some ruins in Oaxaca. After hiding out in one of the pyramids for a few minutes, we realized there was no avoiding getting wet, so we continued our tour in the pouring rain, getting completely soaked from head to toe down to the bone, my feet sloshing around in those chucks and squirting water out of the side eyelets with every step. Luckily I had a ziploc bag in my camera kit that I threw all my electronics into; even the inside of my camera bag ended up full of water (I tore a hole in the corner to squeeze the lens out, so I still got some awesome pictures). The iPod in my friend's purse died.

We ended up rinsing everything off in the hotel shower and hanging it to dry with the help of a fan on full blast. I took a second pair of jeans (the plan was to keep the spares clean for anything I needed to dress up for, and getting the raws dirty), so I had something dry to change into for the night.

Wherever I go this summer, it'll definitely be chucks, boots, and raw jeans all over again. And a ziploc bag. And maybe an emergency poncho.

3. dmash

dmash Senior member

I wore black leather low top chucks for almost my entire Europe trip. Didn't have a problem.

Why does everybody (Americans) think that you need fucking New Balance or Asics if they're going to be walking everyday?

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

If I were traveling to anywhere on the globe, maybe save Everest, I'd honestly just wear the same shit I wear everyday, black leather jacket, white v neck tee, a black cardigan if needed, once-raw indigo jeans, and white MMM GATs. At this point I feel like nobody anywhere would even question this.

5. MichaelPemulis

MichaelPemulis Senior member

man. chucks are super uncomfortable for sneakers.

they are certainly timeless, but they are like chocolate covered malted milk balls, or ribbon candy. The candy world has evolved since those things were first made. Now chocolate and candy is actually delicious.

Kind of like how shoes used to be made, particularly sneakers, compared to how they are made now. lol.

6. Dairy Phobic

Dairy Phobic Senior member

I wore black leather low top chucks for almost my entire Europe trip. Didn't have a problem.

Why does everybody (Americans) think that you need fucking New Balance or Asics if they're going to be walking everyday?

because chucks are really uncomortable, unless your feet are flat as a board i guess

7. jet

jet Senior member

I used to same the same ish as you guys until I went to ny in 07 and me and my girl walked about 10 miles a day. NBs def needed.

Wore out the crepe on my apc boots just that weekend alone.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I used to same the same ish as you guys until I went to ny in 07 and me and my girl walked about 10 miles a day. NBs def needed.

Wore out the crepe on my apc boots just that weekend alone.

People from Orange County don't realize that in most cities, people walk everywhere. 10 miles a day is pretty typical if you are doing tourist stuff, maybe 5-6 if you are a local on a shopping spree, and maybe 3 or 4 if you are plain commuting. Unless you have special, soft feet, you can do it all in regular shoes. Chucks are sort of extreme (no padding whatsoever), and I used to do this when I was younger. At 36, though, I can go for entire weeks in sneakers with just a bit more support, as in, any designer sneaker out there, pretty much.

9. yoyodunno

yoyodunno Senior member

wear two pairs of socks if you find your feet hurting.

10. anteater

anteater Member

You can never go wrong with Clark's Wallabees.

11. dmash

dmash Senior member

People from Orange County don't realize that in most cities, people walk everywhere. 10 miles a day is pretty typical if you are doing tourist stuff, maybe 5-6 if you are a local on a shopping spree, and maybe 3 or 4 if you are plain commuting. Unless you have special, soft feet, you can do it all in regular shoes. Chucks are sort of extreme (no padding whatsoever), and I used to do this when I was younger. At 36, though, I can go for entire weeks in sneakers with just a bit more support, as in, any designer sneaker out there, pretty much.
    THIS. Even though chucks don't bother me whatsoever. Guess my feet are stronger than most [​IMG]
    because chucks are really uncomortable, unless your feet are flat as a board i guess
    No I actually have a pretty large arch due and used to be a sprinter. I just don't like looking like a tool wearing jeans and New Balance when I'm traveling.

12. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

I think I'm going to go with Converse, since these are actually pretty comfortable on my foot for longer walks. I've only had the regular canvas lace-ups, but am thinking about getting one of the following:

Slim sole leather
    Slim sole canvas slip-on (nice when going through airports)

Any appreciable difference in comfort between these and the classics?

13. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

By slim sole, you mean something like these, right? You might want to add an insole or consider something with a slightly thicker sole if you're walking miles a day on pavement just for shock absorption and cushioning. Also, the contrasting cap toe maybe isn't so great.

I also find chucks borderline-unwearable without an insole, since I have really high arches, but I can walk all day in them with an insole. Then again, I also wore cowboy boots that were maybe 1/2 size too tight for the vast majority of a two-week vacation, and it didn't bother me.

14. Robertito

Robertito Senior member

I'm thinking these would be good for use with Chucks - has anyone tried them, and if so, what do you think of them?

http://www.superfeet.com/

15. heartlessphil

heartlessphil Senior member

don't wear 400$ shoes if you're gonna wear em 15 hours per day during 2-3 weeks... You'e gonna destroy them. Buy some cheap vans era or shoes that can take a beating and still look decent like boat shoes. You might end up going to some places you had not planified (like i did in my 4 weeks in France) and you'll be happy to have cheap shoes lol.

I usually bring one clean pair for going out at night and one pair to walk around during the day. Best bet!

Nothing's more ugly than 300-400$ shoes that are dirty, creased or the sole has a banana shape. imho.

16. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

Some cheap canvas slip ons like dunlop volleys are your best bet. You will trash your shoes and your feet. There is nothing more painful than walking for hours on concrete in heavy boots.

17. zach_a

zach_a Member

Perhaps some JP Racearounds - I've found them to be tremendously comfortable, nice and light, and easy to pack. Navy canvas meets your dark-color criteria (Converse did something odd with the leather version... and white or gray canvas is going to be more than a little filthy traipsing around Europe)

18. jet

jet Senior member

new balance

19. Razele

Razele Senior member

new balance
    Ugh Jet is your NB love just some big joke that you'll eventually bust on people? I hope so

20. jha222

jha222 Senior member

+1
    Common Projects Achilles Low - white, my man.