• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a good braise or roast recipe

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm hosting for 12 tomorrow night, and I thought I'd copy Manton and solicit input for ideas. I'd usually just go with a rosemary, kosher salt, and olive oil dressed pork or beef tenderloin, but I want to try something new.

Anyone got any good roast ideas? I've never tried a standing rib roast but I'm concerned about getting the right quality meat around here - there's a meatpacker near me but the smell in there never inspires confidence, and I don't think they do much butchering on-site.

Can I braise for that many people at once? I considered oxtails...

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you should ask. I braised some beek shanks last night, but you could easily adapt this to oxtails. It's a really simple recipe too (serves 4). Adapt accordingly.

generously season with salt&pepper, brown 4 shanks in some veggie or canola oil
slice 3 onions
cut up 2 carrots, 2 stalks of celery, and 5-6 cloves of garlic
saute the veggies after you've browned the meat, deglaze with a bit of red wine
put meat first, then veggies in a pot, cover with beef stock
put in a bouquet garni of thyme and rosemary, plus 1 bay leaf

simmer covered (very low) for 3 hours, until fork tender
reseason if necessary
take meat out, keep warm, then reduce liquid (skim fat off the top, add some heavy cream here to thicken, if desire)

serve over polenta, mash potatoes, or another starch of your choice (had mine over pasta last night)

for 12 people, I'd think about 24 decent size pieces would do. you'll just have to brown them in batches. it's best to find bones with marrow in them, so you can enjoy this over toast.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've got a great recipe at home I did just a little while ago with oxtails (look in the Dinner thread). It's pretty much what Dark just said. I'd toss in a few leeks too (make sure you split vertically and wash sand/grit out). I would also take an entire bottle of hearty red wine, reduce by half, use that as the base of your braise liquid and top off with beef stock. Also, I prefer oven vs. simmer for braising.

Get those tails good and browned, for maximum flavour, prior to braise.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
THIS!

That's a great recipe - I've done something extremely similar with fresh ham a number of times, and it is always a great hit. I got my recipe from a NY Times article some years back.

Problem is, I've done it for most of the people in this group a few times before already. Don't want to get too repetitive.

Can I braise longer for better results? Just turn down the heat a bit and let it go longer, or will that screw things up? Also I'm a bit concerned about having 24 oxtails all crammed into one pot. I guess I can split it into two, but then I won't have room in the oven for both...

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
Flour the oxtails a bit before browning, and brown in batches. After that, you don't really have to worry about space.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is my favorite braise/roast. Awesome.
photo6k.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
12, hmmm.

Try two legs of lamb. Should be enough. Easy to do. Very tasty.

limester816

Reaction score
THIS!

hopefully someone can answer this.

going to try the pork shoulder roast recipe this weekend, but the recipe calls for the shoulder to be left salted overnight before putting in the oven the next day.

im a noob... do i wait for the pork shoulder to warm to room temp before roasting? or is it ok to start roasting cold (i would assume wait for it to get to room temp)

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THIS!
LOL I was about to post that exact article. Pork shoulder is fantastic but make sure you brown it. Short ribs can also be done if you have a pot large enough to braise all of them.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) roasts always do better when they start from closer to room temperature. and if you start it straight from the fridge, it'll take a bit longer (it can take an hour just to get from 50 to 75 degrees.
2) you don't need to brown this first, you brown it at the end with high heat.
it's fantastic (if i do say so myself).

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you brown it afterwards, isnt it falling apart?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
How do you brown it afterwards, isnt it falling apart?

it's a roast. you cook it slow to start, then turn up the oven temp at the end. this is for pork shoulder that comes with the skin on it ... you get both really moist pork and great crisp cracklings. i make this 3-4 times a winter.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

let's not even get into consomme.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads