• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a decently priced tux.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all im looking for a tux for prom. It looks like im going to need to buy because there is nothing in my area that has ones that fit. I would like a slim fitting one. Preferebly $400 or less. Thanks for any help

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sad to say I live no where near a H&M or Zara

JPYPSU07

Reaction score
Express actually had a decent one this winter. You might be able to find one laying around for $100 on sale somewhere. It will be fine for prom.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might try Jos. A. Bank. Some of their tuxes are classically appropriate and quite reasonable when bought at a sale price, which JAB's stuff is offered at with amazing frequency.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't forget you'll still need a shirt, studs, waist covering, shoes, and self-tie bow tie.

Otherwise, just wear a suit like 99% of other people there.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
You might try Jos. A. Bank. Some of their tuxes are classically appropriate and quite reasonable when bought at a sale price, which JAB's stuff is offered at with amazing frequency.
I went this route once and it worked out well.

MLIW

Reaction score
You might be able to find something suitable on ASOS.

Great site

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I went this route once and it worked out well.

I did, too. However, IIRC, they offered only a notch lapel and the waistcoat was much higher than usually seen with black tie. The in-house tailor, though, did a good job with the sleeves and pant legs.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NakedYoga
I did, too. However, IIRC, they offered only a notch lapel and the waistcoat was much higher than usually seen with black tie. The in-house tailor, though, did a good job with the sleeves and pant legs.
True, the jacket I bought was notched lapel and, even worse, three button. I needed it right away and there weren't other viable options except renting. I ended up wearing it only once so maybe renting would have been better, but the fit was superb.

modsquad

Reaction score
I bought a Joseph A. Banks for about $250 and it's worked out ok. I clear the velvet rope at parties and it seems to fool most of the guests. Mine is shawl collar, which I like, but I've seen sales on their higher end peak lapel for about the same price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads