• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a car... Q5?

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a new car and I can't make up my mind. I don't want a sedan, but basically anything else is fair game. I like hatches, wagons, and smaller SUV's. I have a deposit on a 2.0 Q5 premium plus that's scheduled to come in on March 21st but I'm starting to second guess it for some reason. I'm young and don't have a family so that's not a concern. I was even thinking about a coupe or 2-seater or something but I usually don't like too many that are in the same price range as the Q5. I was set on a GTI or Golf TDI for a while. I was also thinking the Subaru route. (Forester XT or Outback) Anybody like the A4 Avant? Give me some thoughts and suggestions.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My best buddy has a Q5, and loves it. They have a good offering of tech options and handle well. However, given your age and marital status, why not consider an A5?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Q5 is what we were going to get Mrs. Piob based on the vehicle itself. A very nice ride. The problem is depreciation and Audi's lease terms. They might be running a subsidized lease program now though.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you got the money, get a Land Rover LR 4...drinks gas like a thirsty horse, but has distinguished looks and style

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Q5 isn't a car, it is a mommie-wagon.

Logan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
I need a new car and I can't make up my mind. I don't want a sedan, but basically anything else is fair game. I like hatches, wagons, and smaller SUV's. I have a deposit on a 2.0 Q5 premium plus that's scheduled to come in on March 21st but I'm starting to second guess it for some reason. I'm young and don't have a family so that's not a concern. I was even thinking about a coupe or 2-seater or something but I usually don't like too many that are in the same price range as the Q5. I was set on a GTI or Golf TDI for a while. I was also thinking the Subaru route. (Forester XT or Outback) Anybody like the A4 Avant? Give me some thoughts and suggestions.

Instead of sitting at your computer asking questions, go out and drive the damn cars.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Logan
Instead of sitting at your computer asking questions, go out and drive the damn cars.

I've been test driving cars for months. And I like a lot of different stuff for different reasons.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
A Q5 isn't a car, it is a mommie-wagon.

Yea that's what bothers me about it. It's all yuppie soccer moms driving them in my area.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Q5 is what we were going to get Mrs. Piob based on the vehicle itself. A very nice ride. The problem is depreciation and Audi's lease terms. They might be running a subsidized lease program now though.

Yea Audi depreciation is awful. Are reliability issues the cause for this?

CHenry

Reaction score
Pretty much. Unlike BMW, whose older cars have a larger market, older Audis just don't, and repairs on Audis are expensive, especially major transmission work.

I have owned an A4 bought new. The depreciation after just a little over two years was really terrible, but I was ready to unload it regardless as it was at the shop every month and Audi never really could get the bugs fixed properly, essential fuel system features like the fuel level gauge was broken and despite multiple parts replacements never worked right. They are not cars you should want off warranty.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHenry
Pretty much. Unlike BMW, whose older cars have a larger market, older Audis just don't, and repairs on Audis are expensive, especially major transmission work.

I have owned an A4 bought new. The depreciation after just a little over two years was really terrible, but I was ready to unload it regardless as it was at the shop every month and Audi never really could get the bugs fixed properly, essential fuel system features like the fuel level gauge was broken and despite multiple parts replacements never worked right. They are not cars you should want off warranty.

That's what I keep hearing. This Q5 is an '11 so I'd be good for a while but that's part of what is causing me to second guess. That and the fact that it is a yuppie soccer mom car lol. But I like the seating position of SUV's and the added headroom. This makes the Q5 really attractive to me.

darkknight

Reaction score
if you're young, get a coupe. you'll love it.

btw, do audi's still suck? everyone i know who has one ends up hating them at one point.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd stick to the GTI or TDI Golf route. Both fun cars to drive and are pretty reliable with VWs new maintenance plan. VW CC is pretty bad ass too.

Or if you want to go a different route. Look at the Subaru Legacy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads