• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neckties discussed in Kiplingers Personal Finance

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The September 2006 issue of Kiplingers Personal Finance has a one-page article on how to evaluate the quality of a necktie:

http://www.kiplinger.com/personalfin...6/09/ties.html

They also highlight a brand in each of 3 categories:

"Cool and Fresh": Vineyard Vines. These handmade ties have patterns that include pineapples and fall leaves as well as dolphins, flip-flops and fireflies. They're made of Korean silk.

"Best Value": Pronto Uomo. Sold by Men's Wearhouse, these look and feel like high-priced haberdashery. Made of Chinese silk, they feature a sturdy keeper tab.

"Top-Knot Ties": Drakes London. One of these lets you look like a king for a princely price. Handmade of heavy British silk, they have a lush feel, crisp design and bright, saturated colors.

I think they're right on the mark about Vineyard Vines and Drakes makes excellent ties, but I have no experience with Pronto Uomo. Although it may be asking you to risk admitting you shop at MW or an equivalent, does anyone have an informed opinion about Pronto Uomo ties? What are your thoughts about the other categories? What are your candidates for top honors in each category?

(Cross-posted on AskAndy and StyleForum)

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I must've missed the Vineyard Vines memo. What exactly is it that they do that almost all mid to lower priced tie brands don't do?

They have cutesie designs (whales, butterflies, etc.) beloved by the Trads. Their ties don't appeal to me, but I own several of their pocket squares, solid with contrasting border, that I find very versatile.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I must've missed the Vineyard Vines memo. What exactly is it that they do that almost all mid to lower priced tie brands don't do?
Successfuly copy Hermes designs, color schemes, lining thickness, and silk quality.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. How do I tell if a tie is well made?

...(on lesser ties, the label doubles as the keeper)...
Like those crappy Charvets.

Aureus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72

Regardless I'd much rather have a seperate keeper and personally won't buy any tie that does not have said feature.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72

There may be exceptions, but the keeper=better ties is a pretty good, and well-accepted, rule of thumb.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aureus
Regardless I'd much rather have a seperate keeper and personally won't buy any tie that does not have said feature.

I agree with you and was only half-joking. I don't get why Charvet cannot use a damn self-keeper when they sell $160 ties. I am not a big fan of their ties anyway.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Darn, and to think I've been shopping in the wrong places all these years.
I think a good deal of us would agree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads