• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neckties: A Discussion Thread

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would anyone have any suggestions as to good ties to pair with a black suit? I realize black suits are controversial to say the least, but I’d appreciate if anyone has any helpful advice. I already have a black/white PoW check which looks pretty good, but I’m wondering how I can inject a bit more colour. The context would be weddings and events so pretty formal.

Greys would also look good, along with ties that introduce some colour like blue but on a neutral background.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Look at the various wedding ties at the Sam Hober site along with a silver grenadine in one of the finer weaves. Black is considered a normal color for suits in Asia IIRC and I'm sure you could get suggestions from the Asia-based members here that are something besides "don't wear black suits except at funerals".

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opinions on this pink ties? Strongly considering it. Am I wrong to think that it would look good with navy and lighter grey suits?
IMG_9511_1080x.jpg
IMG_9512_1080x.jpg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to either talk me in or out of this tie? There's an ongoing 20 % sale on it, so now would be the time. I like the tie as it offers something different from my current green based ties. Yet, I'm not sure why I'm hesitant. Might be that the size of the motifs are to large making it look busy? Dunno.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to either talk me in or out of this tie? There's an ongoing 20 % sale on it, so now would be the time. I like the tie as it offers something different from my current green based ties. Yet, I'm not sure why I'm hesitant. Might be that the size of the motifs are to large making it look busy? Dunno.

well, I think the market already took care of the decision for you as when I clicked on the link, it said sold out.

If you’re sourcing it elsewhere, however, let me try to talk you out of it.

It’s an ugly tie. Worse, it’s banal. The pattern is too big and reminds me of something from the 90’s. It’s too gaudy to fit into a biz formal category and as for something casual, there are far more interesting options.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, I think the market already took care of the decision for you as when I clicked on the link, it said sold out.

If you’re sourcing it elsewhere, however, let me try to talk you out of it.

It’s an ugly tie. Worse, it’s banal. The pattern is too big and reminds me of something from the 90’s. It’s too gaudy to fit into a biz formal category and as for something casual, there are far more interesting options.
Yeah, it's a pattern you either love or hate. I want to like it, but there's just something about it keeping me away. I think it's the size of the motifs.

Not that I'd admit to liking it after that rant, haha. Thanks, mate. I'll keep away.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s very helpful, cheers!

A silver grenadine in the fina weave from David is the way to go! I'm actually wearing this exact tie today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads