• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neckties: A Discussion Thread

winghus

Reaction score
Can we all agree that serious people don’t tie their ties like this?
Yup, I was severely disappointed to arrive at my grandson's wedding and the groom and groomsmen were all wearing matching ties in this knot and the MoH was so proud because it had been her idea. She had to go buy extra long ties to do it.

Moose22

Reaction score
Yup, I was severely disappointed to arrive at my grandson's wedding and the groom and groomsmen were all wearing matching ties in this knot and the MoH was so proud because it had been her idea. She had to go buy extra long ties to do it.

Her idea. Their fault. If someone told me to wear that knot I'd respectfully opt out. Maid of honor most definitely should be in charge of groomsmen anyway.

Just in general, never let a woman tell you how to wear your tie. That's how you get stupid knots, precisely matched pocket squares, unflattering colors, and end up looking like a 1980s prom date. But since younger people often never wear suits other than a wedding they likely haven't had the experience to know where less is more and more is far, far less. I guess there's a bright side, they get to live with those ridiculous photos for the rest of their lives and they can be ridiculed by their children like they did when they discovered a photo of their father with a mullet.

winghus

Reaction score
Her idea. Their fault. If someone told me to wear that knot I'd respectfully opt out. Maid of honor most definitely should be in charge of groomsmen anyway.

Just in general, never let a woman tell you how to wear your tie. That's how you get stupid knots, precisely matched pocket squares, unflattering colors, and end up looking like a 1980s prom date. But since younger people often never wear suits other than a wedding they likely haven't had the experience to know where less is more and more is far, far less. I guess there's a bright side, they get to live with those ridiculous photos for the rest of their lives and they can be ridiculed by their children like they did when they discovered a photo of their father with a mullet.
My son-in-law (father of the groom) did indeed have a magnificent mullet in the 80s.

Moose22

Reaction score
My son-in-law (father of the groom) did indeed have a magnificent mullet in the 80s.

To be fair, though I've never had a mullet, I've never had a good haircut in my entire life.

I have avoided the embarrassment of ridiculous-trends-dating-me issue by refusing to allow my picture to be taken. It is best to leave my lack of photogenic qualities untested, as I have a face for radio. I politely decline and exit any of those ridiculous group shots at work events or family affairs, and specifically ask photographers taking candids at events to not take my photograph, so there are very few portraits of me the last 3 decades or so. But the horribly tailored brown corduroy jacket my mother insisted I wear in my high school yearbook photo is out there, somewhere, just waiting for me to reach fame or infamy so someone can dig it up.

The problem with nobody ever wearing a suit anymore except for weddings and maybe the prom is that nobody knows how to wear a suit. It's not hard, but if you've never done it it becomes a costume, like a masquerade party or Halloween, where you sort of dress up as the stereotype of a man in a suit, rather than actually being an elegant man in nice clothing. And when some overzealous bridesmaid gets involved, everyone gets dressed up as her Ken doll. It will only get worse from here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, though I've never had a mullet, I've never had a good haircut in my entire life.

I have avoided the embarrassment of ridiculous-trends-dating-me issue by refusing to allow my picture to be taken. It is best to leave my lack of photogenic qualities untested, as I have a face for radio. I politely decline and exit any of those ridiculous group shots at work events or family affairs, and specifically ask photographers taking candids at events to not take my photograph, so there are very few portraits of me the last 3 decades or so. But the horribly tailored brown corduroy jacket my mother insisted I wear in my high school yearbook photo is out there, somewhere, just waiting for me to reach fame or infamy so someone can dig it up.

The problem with nobody ever wearing a suit anymore except for weddings and maybe the prom is that nobody knows how to wear a suit. It's not hard, but if you've never done it it becomes a costume, like a masquerade party or Halloween, where you sort of dress up as the stereotype of a man in a suit, rather than actually being an elegant man in nice clothing. And when some overzealous bridesmaid gets involved, everyone gets dressed up as her Ken doll. It will only get worse from here.
That sounds like an exponentially sadder way to approach life than catching the occasional bit of (hopefully good natured) mockery over looking silly in a picture decades down the line. Who cares if you look silly? That makes for some of the best memories.

Moose22

Reaction score
That sounds like an exponentially sadder way to approach life than catching the occasional bit of (hopefully good natured) mockery over looking silly in a picture decades down the line. Who cares if you look silly? That makes for some of the best memories.
Someone doesn't get the joke.

Moose22

Reaction score
Without wanting to sound snarky, it really doesn’t convey at all via text :fistbump:
Did you just fist bump yourself? Probably not the best thing to do if you're trying not to sound snarky. Let me make it simple for the short attention span people.

The whole point is, no matter how hard you work, someone is going to be able to find a picture of you looking dated and ridiculous.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you just fist bump yourself? Probably not the best thing to do if you're trying not to sound snarky. Let me make it simple for the short attention span people.

The whole point is, no matter how hard you work, someone is going to be able to find a picture of you looking dated and ridiculous.
Well, somebody woke up on the twatty side of the bed this morning. Christ, what a needless escalation lol. Just do a better job conveying sarcasm. It ain't easy via text...as we've seen here.

shabbaranks

Reaction score

DCTieGuy

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Navy tie.
Which is better quality? https://luxurymenswear.com/isaia-silk-tie-blue-solid-06ti0269/ or

Thanks.

I haven’t tried either of these brands but suggest you look into Sam Hober ties. For the same price you can get a custom Hober where you can select the width, length, size of knot, etc. and way more fabrics and color shades to choose from.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Would anyone have any suggestions as to good ties to pair with a black suit? I realize black suits are controversial to say the least, but I’d appreciate if anyone has any helpful advice. I already have a black/white PoW check which looks pretty good, but I’m wondering how I can inject a bit more colour. The context would be weddings and events so pretty formal.

winghus

Reaction score
Would anyone have any suggestions as to good ties to pair with a black suit? I realize black suits are controversial to say the least, but I’d appreciate if anyone has any helpful advice. I already have a black/white PoW check which looks pretty good, but I’m wondering how I can inject a bit more colour. The context would be weddings and events so pretty formal.
Look at the various wedding ties at the Sam Hober site along with a silver grenadine in one of the finer weaves. Black is considered a normal color for suits in Asia IIRC and I'm sure you could get suggestions from the Asia-based members here that are something besides "don't wear black suits except at funerals".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads