1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Neckties: A Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Sep 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. raindog

raindog Well-Known Member

How do you find this one (I mean both the tie and the knot)? IT's my first six-fold.

[​IMG]

2. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

3. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Do you like Drake's knitted ties or the softer Italian kind? List pros/cons.

4. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Well-Known Member

It would be presumptuous of me to say my Italian knit ties ($55) are better than Drake's knit ties. There are many things in our "clothing" world that are personal preference. This is one of them.
    Paul Winston
    Winston Tailors/www.chippneckwear.com

5. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

That is neither a pro nor a con

1 person likes this.
  6. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Two months since a post here?

Question: how much do ties such as wool and shantung stretch?

In measuring some of my ties for sale recently I was surprised to find their lengths longer than expected. E.g. a bespoke challis tie I had made comes out at 61 inches in length but I'm pretty sure I asked for about 59 perhaps 59.5. In general, my wool ties tend to measure longer than expected, 60-62 inches. Is this stretch or are sellers inaccurate in measurement.

We know the lore is that grenadines and knits will tend to stretch, but other fabrics?

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Depends on the wool. I was curious about it too a few months ago. This wool tie

[​IMG]

has stretched some. It's fuzzier and maybe more loosely woven. Whereas this denser wool tie from Calabrese hasn't stretched at all despite being worn more frequently

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. TweedyProf

@Claghorn how about that tan Conrad Wu tie you wear. I'm curious about how shantung holds up.

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

What are the original measurements? I'll measure it when I get home; it definitely gets enough wear so that if shantung does stretch, this'll show it. Assuming the listed measurements are dead on (unlikely)

10. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

Should do not stretch it handled with care, specially do not pull agressively when untie the knot.

Shangtung should do not stretch by any reason.

11. Gavinband

Gavinband Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Number 2 too bright a purple? Looking for an 'eggplant' colour neat... missed out on a nice Shibumi one which is now out of stock. :( I tend to go more for the style of number 1.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  12. TweedyProf

I'm finding a lot of variability in tie measurements from Drake's, I mean all over the place. Yes, if you have a chance, I'd be curious about the length. I suspect Sartodi is right about shantungs and stretching but would be good to hear other people's experiences.

13. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

IMHO number two is the winner here, it's all subjective of course. I have a couple of purple knits though and yet to add to that. I do have a lovely EG Cappelli PS though :)

1 person likes this.
  14. Cleav

Very interesting TP, my shantung's measure as new

Without measuring I know my Drakes grenadines have stretched, I accept Sartodi is likely right that it is my fault. Nevertheless, my EGC grenadine (of a similar construction) have not and are treated in the same casual manner.

15. Gavinband

Gavinband Senior member

Ty sir. I am only after one purple neat as it won't be a staple.... But still nice to have and wear on occasion! I have to occasionally move away from navy, burgundy and some shade of green!

16. Cleav

This A&S (charcoal) arrived the other day in readiness for cooler times ahead, liked it so much I ordered the blue one too. Really impressed.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the cross post

17. TweedyProf

Thanks Cleav. Good to know that your shantungs are stable. My newest tie (Drake's) measures at least two inches longer than the listed measurement on the seller's site. Puzzled by the variance I'm seeing.

18. Gavinband

Gavinband Senior member

Going through ties to weed out some I rarely wear. This is one I picked up in berg and berg sale a year or so ago. Wool/silk grenadine mix I think, at the time I thought I would wear but have perhaps once? Thoughts on it? Also how to wear? It's thicker than my other olive grenadine tie and doesn't tie as sleek a knot, not particularly wild about it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  19. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Ugly colors. Throw it to the wolves

4 people like this.
  20. TweedyProf

matka versus linen...comment and contrasting pictures please. Both have the advantage of not being a slubby as shantung, but there's often a subtle streakiness that I like.

Please post if you have ties in both fabrics, and note maker too.