Neckties: A Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Sep 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

I do miss the contributions of the posters listed above, particularly the Scandinavian exponents of cold-weather looks. A lot of my wardrobe was inspired by their fits.

Urban's fits are top-notch, too, and he seems to like a lot of what I like (tweed, flannel, neats with more casual fabrics).

2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

I find myself not just thinking "well done" which is something many of the participants in this thread achieve (you too). Rather, "huh, I didn't think that would work or I never really even thought to do that." That tends to happen more often with UC's posts than others and that's all I meant. Not that I don't learn from others too.

3. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

I've never owned any ties from Henry Carter or Conrad Wu, but am interested in purchasing a tie from each. Can you guys share your thoughts on both brands? Any downsides from either? Also, HC's pricing is in AUD, correct?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

4. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Never owned a Wu (yet), but I have three grenadines from Henry Carter and have found them to be excellent--they tie great knots and none has a pull despite being worn regularly. Yes, his prices are in AUD and he offers a Styleforum discount as well.

5. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

Have a couple Wus. Excellent customer service, super-fast shipping and beautiful knots and ties.

HC is in my future, the ties i had my eye on were sold out before i could say hello. But he is highly regarded here.

6. white collar

white collar Senior member

OK, Iv'e read the entire thread which I believe fulfills the unspoken rule to do so before posting (at least on smaller threads). I would like to ask every ones thoughts on skinny ties. Do you like them? Why or why not, etc. As one of the younger fellas on SF I can tell you my generation loves skinny ties, I however wear a mix of skinny and regular. I've never seen some of the big contributors to the forum with a skinny tie and I'm wondering what every ones logic behind that is.

7. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

Define skinny? One man's skinny is another man's normal. Whilst i have a few sub 9cm ties (not including knits ); anything less than 9cm is skinny for me.

8. TweedyProf

Mostly it's an issue of "balance and coherence" I suspect. For example, a person who is large on top, whether athletic or portly, would likely look off in a suit with a skinny tie (though again, we have to be clear on what you mean by "skinny").

One bit of advice is to keep the blade width proportional with lapel width, but that's only one of many factors (no hard and fast rules). So, four inch lapels with 2.5 inches ties would likely look odd, IMO. It could work better for someone who is genuinely skinny, but as TRC notes, "skinny" is relative.

There are other issues, such as knot size wrt collar, to name one that might become salient if the tie is very skinny.

But perhaps you can post some pictures and people can weigh in on why the skinny tie might work or not. Maybe there's a CM and SW&D divide here?

9. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

In this context, I believe "skinny" ties means ties from Alexander Olch and etc.

10. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

11. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

I have one WU and I am very happy with it. It is a polka dot Shantung in Navy and is one of my favorite ties. Knots and dimples really well, and on a side note, WU is one of the few makers offering a 9cm tie width, which is the narrowest tie I mess with personally.

DL-

12. white collar

white collar Senior member

Skinny to me is 2.5in or smaller. I typically match the width of my tie to my lapel thus it's no surprise I wear smaller lapels. I also prefer smaller collars (no spreads or cutaways). It's also a good point that bigger people look better with bigger ties. Something interesting to me is that on my most recent trip to Thomas Pink I couldn't locate a tie wider than 2.5in but in Brooks Brothers there was nothing smaller than 2.75in.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I'm not sure what kind of weave this is. But it looks like an embroidered neat flower on a standard weave silk. I like it.

[​IMG]

14. TweedyProf

Well, I did a cursory search and pulled two that don't offend my taste's (that's a joke):

Mr. Craig:

[​IMG]

Mr. Mad Men

[​IMG]

Both men (that actors) are not skinny minis. It isn't terrible though I prefer something else. Notice that shirt collar styles and lapels help to balance here.

SB, I like that tie too.

15. sydneycentric

sydneycentric Senior member

Can anyone comment on the quality of Anderson & Sheppard ties? Looking at purchasing a few as they look nice and their standard 9cm blades suit my proportions....
    [​IMG]

I'm also looking for this tie by Drakes below. Does anyone know if they still do it or do they tend to only do it seasonally and never bring them back?
    [​IMG]