Neckties: A Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Sep 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Exactly. (Except, perhaps, for the 'knowing it when you see it' part.)

Cheers,

Ac

2. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Yes, the terminology surrounding neats is a mess. Let’s not forget the term ‘Macclesfield’, which became popular in the US starting in the 1920s I believe.

These days ‘Macclesfield’ can be a synonym for ‘neat’, which is awkward since not every fabric from the town is a neat and not every neat comes from Macclesfield. And does anyone remember poor Spitalfield, the other town famously settled by Huguenot silk weavers and printers?

Cheers,

Ac

3. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

It seems, though, that the earlier points capture neats very well, though the boundaries might be malleable and porous. But the idea of a small scale, repeating pattern seems to capture the essence. I was thinking of medallions as large repeating patterns. I'm less sure about the usefulness of spacing but, at this point, we're legislating SF usage, and really usage among the subscribers of this thread.

We hashed out neats and odd jackets in the Lounge thread, so I wouldn't suggest having that conversation again (I remain oddly opposed to neats and tweed though I'm sure I'll get push back on that one).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015

4. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

True, but the conclusions reached may well prove useful beyond the confines of the thread. Those who buy custom ties, for example, will want to know the correct terminology when communicating with their tie maker.

It's even more complicated when dealing with folks in other countries where the language is different. I don't know, for instance, if Cappelli has a word for what we call a 'neat' or even, for that matter, if it's actually a category in Italy.

Cheers,

Ac

5. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is from Conrad Wu and I really like the colour and pattern. I intend to buy it quite soon, but do you know any other maker that would sell something similar ?
    What pattern is used on that tie ?

6. TweedyProf

I'd call that a neat as defined above. It's a nice pattern, I'm attracted to it (the brown is nice too). I'll probably try Wu ties again. I wasn't so happy with Conrads first tie maker but as he wasn't either and found what I take to be a better maker, will look to get one in the future. I certainly wear my Wu tan striped shantung regularly.

7. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Try a green neat with tweed.

Often referred to as a "foulard" tie, although there is another term that escapes me at the moment.

8. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

9. TweedyProf

I'd consider a medallion with tweed. Capelli used to have a very nice one, though now only in a purple ground.. The Wu neat is perhaps just still too small patternwise. But anyway, we've covered this ground before, a matter of preference.

10. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I wish I coud remember the other term in Italian, though it's seldom used.

11. turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains Senior member

Is your neat-with-tweed opposition just to standard smooth-finish printed silk neats, or does it extend to all neat-type patterned ties?
    Would you be opposed to a neat-print madder (or madderlike) tie with tweed?
    What about a neat-patterned wool challis?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

12. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

Thanks. There is a blue which is nice as well

13. TweedyProf

It's the pattern more than the material. I would consider neat patterns with a navy flannel SC. Urban has a nice post

[​IMG]

He is, I think, consistently the best and most informative poster these days who posts fit pics. I always learn something. Colors are great here. You'll notice the neat. The colors are well chosen but I think with a herringbone, I would prefer a medallion or paisley.

Of course, this is a personal preference on my part (no neats with tweed, even madder and challis). I don't suggest it as a rule though I might offer it as advice.

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

^^ Dunno about "the best" - I hesitate ever to award that accolade when the field is so subjective - but UC is definitely one of the best.

I lament the fact that we have recently lost so many very strong posters. Butler - TTO - Tirailleur - TimoTune - Pingson - Stitchy - Anden - tchoy...

SpooPoker and EliodA contribute daily but hardly ever post fits.

Of course I've overlooked a few, and I haven't even started to list any of the SF legends of yore.

Fortunately we still have many strong players, and the occasional return of a great from the past.

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, tchoy, Tira, and Butler posted at most a few times a month; TTO a bit more.