1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Neckties: A Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Sep 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

2. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

That Manton fit is great. The tie is OK on its own but the navy, browns, and gold play so well with the grey suit and blue shirt, and the gold and cream in the square complement the colors without being matchy and while the soft silk rounds out the texture spectrum. I admit to having somewhat DTO'ed that fit.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I liked the Viola Milano block stripe cashmeres (sold out, I think)

4. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

Manton's tie is linen? I suppose linen plaid prints are ok, having being depicted in AA and the like. However, i still don't like it; especially in a conservative environment.

I think we've over-talked the striped ties and i don't like most of the Viola Milano offerings above; especially the shiny twill(s).

5. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I don't like that Manton fit at all. The tie is too casual for the business suit and the colours don't go together too well either: an unbalanced mix of cool and warm. And the PS is too light, drawing too much attention.
    I find it ironic that in the OP of the good taste thread as well as his square fail thread, Manton posted two of his least convincing outfits. I wonder if he did it on purpose. You know, just taking the piss. Of course in both threads he later follows up with some exemplary stuff.

Didn't we just have a discussion about block stripe ties? So much talk about ties lately, I can't remember [​IMG]
    Anyway, don't like any of those. Sorry jrd.

@TweedyProf I'll give it another go with the brown plaid tie. If it doesn't work, consider it yours.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  6. Guitarscars93

Guitarscars93 New Member

Not sure if this is on topic 100% but it is about ties.
    I'm a uni student from Australia and I want to start a tie company, so I wanted to ask serious tie fans what they value in a tie.
    My vision is to make some ties that stretch the boundaries in terms of fabric used and patterns, while staying appropriate for work.
    Can I ask some questions?

7. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Is that what that was? :embar:
    :D

8. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

On knots and 100% cotton ties the ties above knot beautifully. More to do with the lining I suspect though it holds its shape. A subtle nap and thicker fabric.

[​IMG]

9. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ironic since he was, IRC, dead set on patterned linens. Perhaps only for jackets/suits

10. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Yes, it was a very specific rule against patterned linen jackets, which sadly he never explained.

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

NWT, old stock, BB printed linen:

[​IMG]

12. dimitrioup

dimitrioup Well-Known Member

Black / white and maybe navy / white POW is actually pretty wearable. I actualy have a Hober one which goes well with navy suits for a look that different than standard corp drone

Herringbone again in wool not bad especially if its discreet

Hounds/puppy touth again i find it rather versatile

So all in all cant say i agree with you

13. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

I think i need some linen ties in my life - particularly printed linen. In my 50-odd meagre tie wardrobe, i count only two linen (and blends for that matter).

I think the putative rule against patterned linen jacketing- if it exists at all- is esentially a silly one.

14. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Stay away from the west side :)

[​IMG]

Seriously though it's one of those things that if you have to ask you may well struggle with it. That and you need about 30 grand in the bank to get started properly with websites, stock, packaging etc etc. But feel free to ask any questions as long as they aren't "who are your suppliers".

@Claghorn sorry for my late entry to this thread I saw you tagged me in it just haven't been on the forum much the last 2 weeks (getting reading for the trout season to open here you see).