• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Necktie lengths

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I find a decent number of neckties to be a bit long for me.  I'm 5'8", so many Brioni, Italo Ferretti and other neckties are long for me.  Maybe 80% of us can wear standard-length neckties, but then 20% of us need longer or shorter ties.  My guess is that a 54" tie might be best for me. Just wondered what length is right for the rest of you.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What's standard length?

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
What's standard length?
j:

There is no standard length for ties. Most "regular" ties are 52 to 58 inches long and "Long or Tall" sizes exceed that length.

Ties should end within the area of the belt buckle (not above and not below).

Andy

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I guess standard(maybe more appropriately "average" may be around 56."

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I don't know my "size" but "regular" ties fit me. Some I have to tie differently but the most they ever do is have both ends even. Never had a problem with one being too long.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most ties aren't long enough. Can you guys even get a full Windsor with most of your ties?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ties are nearly ALWAYS long enough -- the problem is that the fastening loop isn't always placed in the correct spot to MAKE the tie long enough while ensuring that the small end is fastened. I recently corrected this flaw by stitching myself a new tie loop a couple inches up from where the original one resided. This demands a very delicate touch, but with a little practice, it's possible. With this particular tie, I couldn't tie a windsor and have the little end of the tie go into the fastening loop. Now, it works perfectly.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't use the full Windsor. A half- is big enough for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads