• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Necklace to put wear when taking off wedding ring...

Jay687

Reaction score
So, I'll be getting married soon and was wondering what you guys do about taking your wedding ring off when doing something that might be harsh on ring (i.e. lifting weights, certain sports, some yardwork, etc.). I don't mind my ring taking a beating, but in some cases, I know I will prefer to take it off.

However, I'd rather leave it on a necklace in those circumstances... but have worn a necklace before.

Upon some research, it seems like around collarbone length is recommended, does it change when you have something hanging from it (in the case, my ring). My neck is just under 15" so it seems like 18" might be at or slightly above collarbone while 20" would be a bit below. What length do you guys recommend?

Additionally, what type of necklace is recommended for this? I want something strong that I don't need to worry about breaking. I was thinking something in solid stainless steel? Preferrably thin, not really looking to wear a thick/heavy chain here. Are there any chain styles that are simple/classic that you guys could recommend? I also thought about going with some sort of leather/rope necklace, as that could be pretty strong too and definitely light.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
You never take your ring off.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You consider your pocket??

schrag

Reaction score
I'm thinking a metal chain might scratch up the wedding band, even though your finger tends to polish the inside. Leather cord would be preferable. I'm seeing your question as more of utilitarian issue than trying to make jewelry, right?

Also, do you want to fiddle with a clasp, or get something bigger that you can just slip over your head? Of course, you don't want it bouncing off your chest when running or dangling in the way when working, but might be another point to consider.

I usually pocket my ring when not wearing, haven't lost it yet.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What sort of metal is your ring?

Having one made of Tungsten Carbide, haven't found an activity yet where I would be required to take it off. In the event of doing deadlifts or something like that, I'll slip it in my pocket for the sets, and then it goes right back on again. Necklace seems to be too much work and worry. Keep it on.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if I take mine off, I usually put it on my keyring (a caribiner like clip), or around my neck on the necklace I wear.

I also bought a beater ring. well, its really the original ring I got married with (titanium), but it got trashed really quick and I wound up going back and buying the white gold one I always wanted. I wear the titanium one on the weekends when working around the house, etc... we just hit one year, I suspect I will stop wearing it alltoghter here shortly.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine never left my finger for 19 years. Whatever wear and tear it got became patina.

I nearly had to have it sawn off after we split up.

Eventually a couple months of dieting along with lots of soapy water did the trick.

It took about 5 yeas for the indented flesh on my finger to completely disappear. (I however, rebounded more quickly! :nodding: )

Jay687

Reaction score

You never take your ring off.

I would like to have that be the case, but it's platinum which is a fairly soft metal and when performing certain activities, i.e. weightlifting, specifically heavy deadlifts, I fear not just scratches, but even dents in the ring.

You consider your pocket??

I really just don't trust it in my pocket. Especially when I would be taking off during activities that I do a lot of moving around.

I'm thinking a metal chain might scratch up the wedding band, even though your finger tends to polish the inside. Leather cord would be preferable. I'm seeing your question as more of utilitarian issue than trying to make jewelry, right?
Also, do you want to fiddle with a clasp, or get something bigger that you can just slip over your head? Of course, you don't want it bouncing off your chest when running or dangling in the way when working, but might be another point to consider.
I usually pocket my ring when not wearing, haven't lost it yet.

I did think of that. It's why I offered the leather / rope idea. I don't want to mess with the inside engraving either, so perhaps something like leather is indeed the way to go. Also, as you said, it's more utilitarian and not trying to make this jewlery at all. I'd consider something I could slip over but not sure if being so long will be comfortable (i.e. swinging like you mentioned). I'd get used to a clasp, so it probably would be a big deal?

Do you think leather cord would be the best/strongest solution? I have pretty sensitive skin too, so I would think leather, being as it is fairly smooth and can be oiled, mightr be the best solution. Any specific ideas?

What sort of metal is your ring?
Having one made of Tungsten Carbide, haven't found an activity yet where I would be required to take it off. In the event of doing deadlifts or something like that, I'll slip it in my pocket for the sets, and then it goes right back on again. Necklace seems to be too much work and worry. Keep it on.

As I mentioned above, it's platinum, so it's not really the strongest of metals. What you said is a good point. I could just put it in my pocket for sets of deadlifts and stuff like that and then take it off, but I feel like it could be easier to slip it on my necklace and then forget about it vs. taking it on and off repeatedly.

if I take mine off, I usually put it on my keyring (a caribiner like clip), or around my neck on the necklace I wear.
I also bought a beater ring. well, its really the original ring I got married with (titanium), but it got trashed really quick and I wound up going back and buying the white gold one I always wanted. I wear the titanium one on the weekends when working around the house, etc... we just hit one year, I suspect I will stop wearing it alltoghter here shortly.

I would trust just slipping it around the necklace itself more than the carabiner. Also, I just don't know what type of necklace to get at all. I'm now leaning towards the leather cord just because I'm not looking for something flashy.

Mine never left my finger for 19 years. Whatever wear and tear it got became patina.
I nearly had to have it sawn off after we split up.
Eventually a couple months of dieting along with lots of soapy water did the trick.
It took about 5 yeas for the indented flesh on my finger to completely disappear. (I however, rebounded more quickly! :nodding: )

Just because of the type of metal and the activities I perform, I don't think it could handle everything. I don't mind scratches and patina, but dents and the like I do mind... which I think could occur with the stuff I do.

Anyways... looks like leather cord of some sort might be the way to go for me... anyone have suggestions on clasp type? Just because that would seem to be the area of weakness for any necklace and don't want it breaking or coming undone.

viator

Reaction score
I have a platinum wedding band. I never take it off. It looks the same today as it did after the first month. Frankly, taking the ring on and off, putting it in your pocket, putting in on a chain, etc. all seem to increase your chances of losing the ring, a much worse fate than a few scratches.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
When I lift I wear fingerless weightlifting gloves which still cover my ring.

When I work in the yard, I often wear work gloves.

However, the key thing to remember is that you are not a women who is just donning a ring for decoration. Your wedding ring is a symbol of your commitment.

And if you're worried about your ring getting dented, then I'd say you are getting the wrong ring.

Joe Rodgers

Reaction score
This is more along the lines of what I am preventing. Like you said, it's easy to say to people that don't work in industrial settings. I work near heavy machinery, and I routinely work in vicinity of High voltage electricity. Additionally, I am a weight lifter and I ride my bicycle on a regular basis. So for me going through this thread, I was hoping to see constructive feedback, not just a bunch of guys saying "don't take off your ring."

The only thing I have come up with so far are silicon rings. There is a company that will replace your silicon ring if it is broken in a situation that would have resulted in losing your finger. I can't find that website ATM, but here are a couple sites to look at:

http://www.saferingz.com/
http://qalo.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads