• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neck Roll/Back Pucker

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a jacket waisted 2 different times by 2 different tailors following weight loss. It's a Mantoni suit, which I never loved so much than now because of the fit. But there is an outward pucker between my shoulder blades now due to the cinching.

When I fold & pin .25" material up & under the collar, this goes away but then I get the neck roll (obviously). What it the procedure to rid my jacket of this? How is the neck roll normally fixed?

When I pinned vertically between the blades I still get the neck roll.

I'd like to try & do it myself before taking it back to the tailor.

Thanks

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I had a jacket waisted 2 different times by 2 different tailors following weight loss. It's a Mantoni suit, which I never loved so much than now because of the fit. But there is an outward pucker between my shoulder blades now due to the cinching.

When I fold & pin .25" material up & under the collar, this goes away but then I get the neck roll (obviously). What it the procedure to rid my jacket of this? How is the neck roll normally fixed?

When I pinned vertically between the blades I still get the neck roll.

I'd like to try & do it myself before taking it back to the tailor.

Thanks

Fixing neck roll usually requires lowering of the collar.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to have to demonstrate to the tailor exactly what to do as I doubt many folks up where I live know or even care about neck roll.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is a common alteration for a tailor with skill enough to remake the shoulder and do collar work. The cause of the roll could be several things. Tension/tightness over big blades or the jacket shoulder is sloped more than your natural shoulders or you have an erect posture and the back is long.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Mr Despos stated, this is a pretty common alteration.

I've found that I have a horizontal crease below the back of the collar on most of my suits when I first purchase them, and so I need to have some cloth taken up under the collar.

However, on a couple of suits, I've had a vertical fold of cloth under the back of the collar, running down the middle of the back, and so I've needed to have that taken in, too.

I don't know why some suits have one and some have the other, but my tailor deals with it quickly and easily. He doesn't charge very much for the alteration, either.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
It is a common alteration for a tailor with skill enough to remake the shoulder and do collar work. The cause of the roll could be several things. Tension/tightness over big blades or the jacket shoulder is sloped more than your natural shoulders or you have an erect posture and the back is long.

What is actually being done is shortening the back, no?

overdog

Reaction score
What is involved in when a tailor lowers a collar? Does he detach the collar, remove fabric from the neck area, and reattach the collar?

I just took a suit in to get altered and they quoted me $42 to lower the collar. Compared to $30 to take in the sides and $8 to hem the pants. Should lowering the collar cost more than taking in the sides?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
What is actually being done is shortening the back, no?

yes the back is being shortened at the top.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by overdog
What is involved in when a tailor lowers a collar? Does he detach the collar, remove fabric from the neck area, and reattach the collar?

I just took a suit in to get altered and they quoted me $42 to lower the collar. Compared to $30 to take in the sides and $8 to hem the pants. Should lowering the collar cost more than taking in the sides?

no he did not just lower the collar. he shortened the back at the top. this includes opening the shoulder seams, and shortening the back all the way across the top. that is if he did the proper job.
alterations are charged for according to the amount of time it takes to do the job.
the tailor is selling you his "expertise time" that is his only stock in trade.
by the way 8 bucks for a hem is reasonable.

overdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
no he did not just lower the collar. he shortened the back at the top. this includes opening the shoulder seams, and shortening the back all the way across the top. that is if he did the proper job.
alterations are charged for according to the amount of time it takes to do the job.
the tailor is selling you his "expertise time" that is his only stock in trade.
by the way 8 bucks for a hem is reasonable.

Thanks. I am not complaining, since I have gotten good work from them at reasonable prices. I just thought it was strange that the collar work cost more than the sides, but you explained it.

PCyclone

Reaction score
Does anyone know what would be a typical charge for a tailor to lower the collar about 1/4" or 1/2" on a dress shirt? Assuming the rates for suits were roughly the ones in the OP?

Is the general reason you get the horizontal rippling or folding at the top of the back on a shirt because it's made for more sloping shoulders? (If the front fits well, not too tight, etc.)

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Over the years, I have concluded that with the possible exception of the two master tailors posting in this thread, it is absolutely essential for the best result to:

(1) Have the tailor open the collar, detaching it from the top of the back.

(2) Then, have the tailor pin up the collar and back while you are wearing it. Look at it carefully in the three way mirror...do not just look for how the upper back gets smoothed, look also at the fit of the collar around your neck.

You are going to have to compromise between shortening the back and risking the collar pulling away from your neck. Depending on the degree of the problem, this will not be a big issue...just be aware that it could be.

I have found that RTW alterations where the shortening of the back is simply chalked never turn out as well as I like. I like to see it in real time.

- B

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Over the years, I have concluded that with the possible exception of the two master tailors posting in this thread, it is absolutely essential for the best result to: (1) Have the tailor open the collar, detaching it from the top of the back. (2) Then, have the tailor pin up the collar and back while you are wearing it. Look at it carefully in the three way mirror...do not just look for how the upper back gets smoothed, look also at the fit of the collar around your neck. You are going to have to compromise between shortening the back and risking the collar pulling away from your neck. Depending on the degree of the problem, this will not be a big issue...just be aware that it could be. I have found that RTW alterations where the shortening of the back is simply chalked never turn out as well as I like. I like to see it in real time. - B
You're a picky b......, aren't you? Why not go where you belong and help whnay pick a cloth.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
You're a picky b......, aren't you?

But endearing.

Why not go where you belong and help whnay pick a cloth.

Been there, done that.

The one who really needs existential help is Manton: "Should I get a bespoke DJ?"

I mean, come on.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads