• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neck hair

d.h.

Reaction score
How do you guys go about keeping the back of your neck shaved and trim with a nice hairline?

I'm getting sick of having to find somebody else (girlfriend, etc.) to do it for me between haircuts. Can you go to a barber for such a thing and not get charged for a full haircut? You think it's possible for somebody to learn how to do it himself with a bunch of mirrors or something?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I posted on this but it got lost when I reimported the database. Anyway, take a razor like a Sensor and hold it horizontally with your finger and thumb up by the head of it. Put it up to your neck (blade pointing down) and draw it up under your hairline. Then lightly shave downward. (Do all this in the shower with your neck wet). Repeat until all neck hair is gone. Check in the mirror for missed spots.

If you want to trim the hairline, use a pair of scissors made for bandages that have a blunt tip and a sharp tip. The main problem is getting your head to figure out how to make your hand hold the scissors right when you're looking in two mirrors to see the back of your head. Go very slowly trimming across the bottom of the back. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. I cut all my own hair and it usually looks better than any stylist ever did it.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never really thought about it, but I use the pop-out sideburn trimmer on the side of my electric razor - this, I have found, is the only useful part of an electric razor.

justbrowsing

Reaction score
I like j's method. I would be very careful if using an electric trimmer. It takes some practice to get good at working with two mirrors and you are likely to put some gashes in your hairline if you use an electric trimmer. I use the Mach 3 without shaving cream (it obscures your view) and don't have much problem with irritation.

gege21290

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

gege21290

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by d.h.
Can you go to a barber for such a thing and not get charged for a full haircut?

Yes. Just call and ask how much for a neck clean-up. Should be super cheap unless you have him start doing other stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads