• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neck Beards: Yay or Nay?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
civil.jpg

Thoreau.jpg

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Neck beard combined with face beard is underappreciated, I think. See LeBron in the 2006 playoffs for what I'm talking about.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
Neck beard combined with face beard is underappreciated, I think. See LeBron in the 2006 playoffs for what I'm talking about.

The neck+face beard combo is just called a beard isn't it? In any case, I think the neck beard tops all forms of facial hair in terms of ghastliness.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the neck beard tops all forms of facial hair in terms of ghastliness.
Hahaha I think you're right

fatty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
If you are an ironic scenester, civil war re-enactor, or mid-pubescent student, sure. Otherwise, no.

don't be any of the above.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been my life-long dream to grow a neck-beard or at least something resembling a damn five-o-clock shadow, but my prepubescent asian testosterone tells me otherwise.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the ability to grow those badass eyebrows when you get older should more than make up for that

DeSica

Reaction score
Neck beard isn't always easy to pull off. You really have to trim it right, so people know you haven't merely given up shaving. If it reaches your chest hair without any natural depilatorized zone, it can be downright scary.

When your facial hair extends to the neck area it can connote some sort of sequestration where shaving tools are not readily available (like an avalanche survivor exiting a mountain cave after a thaw), or laziness. I should know, because I don't shave often, and it's mostly due to laziness. That, and my father's advice.

When I was young, he told me not to do like other kids and start shaving just to look older and more mature. He warned that it would grow in faster and thicker as time went on, and that eventually they'd have 5 o'clock shadow by 4:30. The point stuck with me due to the fact that he imparted this wisdom while shaving for the second time that day just as he got home from work.

To this day, I don't shave with any regularity, so my facial hair isn't overly thick and dense. I have never shaved my upper lip, but I do trim it. This is probably why people usually think I am 5 years younger than I really am, despite 2 weeks of growth.

Carpet beard can really age a man.

savage

Reaction score
I knew a guy that a small neck beard in order for his face to look rounder.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy in my post office, Al, has a neck beard. He also has three fingers on one hand (cut the other two off). His clip-on tie is also brown with crusty dirt. Oh, and his neck beard is stained with tobacco smoke. It's probably the most disgusting neck beard ever. Still, you have to be nice to him or he'll probably decapitate you and send all your parcels to New Zealand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads