1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

"Necessary" Sport Coats:

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Newcomer, Jun 30, 2009.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

You're better off getting basic suits than odd jackets. Serious. You will look better dressing down a suit than dressing down a jacket. This is very anti-foo. - B
    As posted in a similar thread, I have been doing something like this, as I have started to wear suits casually more often than I did before. Still, for weekends or travel, I wear more sportcoats more than suits. But the trend is shifting in the direction of more suits. Certainly, of the last few suits I have ordered, more than half were what I would consider casual ones.

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Fixed.

No one appreciates a piercing dig than I, so well done.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I laughed out out, too. It was a finely delivered blow.

As posted in a similar thread, I have been doing something like this, as I have started to wear suits casually more often than I did before.

Still, for weekends or travel, I wear more sportcoats more than suits. But the trend is shifting in the direction of more suits. Certainly, of the last few suits I have ordered, more than half were what I would consider casual ones.

I'm in the same groove.

I would consider all four flannels that I in the works more casual than not, even the solid blue DB. The fifth is a seersucker MTM with patch out pockets, and that's about as casual as a suit can get.

- B

3. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I would consider all four flannels that I in the works more casual than not, even the solid blue DB. The fifth is a seersucker MTM with patch out pockets, and that's about as casual as a suit can get. - B
    It's hard to imagine a solid blue DB flannel a casual suit, unless it's 1914. What color and type of stripe is the seersucker? That can always make a nice sports jacket.

4. voxsartoria

It's hard to imagine a solid blue DB flannel a casual suit, unless it's 1914.

When it has dark blue horn buttons, no. But this one is the second and last number with swappable buttons, and one of the other sets is white MoP. When worn as a suit with the MoP buttons and accessorized casually, I see it as a springtime after work or weekend suit.

What color and type of stripe is the seersucker? That can always make a nice sports jacket.

Nothing unusual, like so:

[​IMG]

Again, with white MoP buttons. I'm definitely going to wear the jacket on its own as well. I'm hoping I get this one in about a month so that I can wear it in August.

- B

5. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

It's hard to imagine a solid blue DB flannel a casual suit, unless it's 1914.
    Nah, easy peasy. Esp in a light flannel that has some pattern in the weave.

6. Film Noir Buff

When it has dark blue horn buttons, no. But this one is the second and last number with swappable buttons, and one of the other sets is white MoP. When worn as a suit with the MoP buttons and accessorized casually, I see it as a springtime after work or weekend suit. Nothing unusual, like so: [​IMG] Again, with white MoP buttons. I'm definitely going to wear the jacket on its own as well. I'm hoping I get this one in about a month so that I can wear it in August. - B
    I want to get a pair of really mad buttons to use on a jacket. Maybe I'll design something like the white rabbit in a state of shock or an enameling of the Monty Python foot. I like that seersucker, I think they look best when they are the classic color combinations. Some of the newer color combos can be nice for an occasional jacket and the gingham version of the seersucker can make a nice shirt but I like the standard grey or blue and cream for a suit. It never pays to mess with a classic [​IMG]

7. dopey

. . . The fifth is a seersucker MTM with patch out pockets, and that's about as casual as a suit can get.

- B

That is a sportcoat with matching pants.

8. Film Noir Buff

Nah, easy peasy. Esp in a light flannel that has some pattern in the weave.
    Wait, what do you guys consider a casual suit?

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Flannel, cotton, linen, seersucker, corduroy.

10. voxsartoria

That is a sportcoat with matching pants.

That's accurate.

I almost went for a welted breast pocket to tone it down, but I threw caution to the wind.

Getting this made was the outcome of depressing trips to BB and Press earlier this summer.

- B

11. dopey

That's accurate.

I almost went for a welted breast pocket to tone it down, but I threw caution to the wind.

Getting this made was the outcome of depressing trips to BB and Press earlier this summer.

- B

Please say you got it from Winston. Or Southwick.

You will make my day if you ordered it from the Andover Shop.

12. Film Noir Buff

Flannel, cotton, linen, seersucker, corduroy.
    I see you snuck flannel in there, fair enough. But, Navy fwannel double bweasted?

13. voxsartoria

Please say you got it from Winston. Or Southwick.

You will make my day if you ordered it from the Andover Shop.

Winston would have been dreamy, but I have an inexplicable reluctance to get things made in NYC. I can't explain it, and it forms the root of my shirt problems where the big city would offer definitive relief.

I'll describe from where the seersucker came when I get it. I'm hopeful, but I don't know if I'll really like it yet.

I took in a new Southwick-made Harris tweed jacket from Cable Car into my alterations tailor this morning...I trust his disassembly and reassembly skills more than the MTM process. We almost peeled the thing back to the basting stage. I'm even making him replace all the plastic buttons with Oxxford horn buttons.

- B

14. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

Winston would have been dreamy, but I have an inexplicable reluctance to get things made in NYC. I can't explain it, and it forms the root of my shirt problems where the big city would offer definitive relief.

I'll describe from where the seersucker came when I get it. I'm hopeful, but I don't know if I'll really like it yet.

I took in a new Southwick-made Harris tweed jacket from Cable Car into my alterations tailor this morning...I trust his disassembly and reassembly skills more than the MTM process. We almost peeled the thing back to the basting stage. I'm even making him replace all the plastic buttons with Oxxford horn buttons.

- B

Sounds like an awesome alterations tailor.

It's nice that you guys can get away with wearing casual suits. Of course, it's not strictly germane to the OP. But anyway since suits are more expensive and (typically) more formal, I stick to conservative patterns in wool, and let my freak flag fly in the odd jackets.

15. voxsartoria

Sounds like an awesome alterations tailor.

I have cruelly pushed him to unreasonable lengths, but only because he seems to truly love a challenge.

- B

16. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

This with matching pants: [​IMG]

17. dopey

Something that doesn't look specific for the office. Here are some examples:
    • Summer-color suits in fresco with patch breast pocket and patch and flap hip pockets with top stitching and lapped seams (I have solid tan and solid mid-blue)
    • Glenplaid DB flannel
    • Black and white houndstooth saxony
    • gray and gray nailhead saxony (can also look very business-like; this is a natural switch hitter)
    • DB black and white broken bone saxony
    • Any tweed suit
    Solid gray flannel (can also look very business-like; this is a natural switch hitter)

18. Film Noir Buff

This with matching pants: [​IMG]
    Admit it, you're trying to get me timed out again. [​IMG]

19. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Admit it, you're trying to get me timed out again. [​IMG]
    I won't post a pic of my wearing the whole rig, purely out of consideration.

20. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

Something that doesn't look specific for the office. Here are some examples:
    • Summer-color suits in fresco with patch breast pocket and patch and flap hip pockets with top stitching and lapped seams (I have solid tan and solid mid-blue)
    • Glenplaid DB flannel
    • Black and white houndstooth saxony
    • gray and gray nailhead saxony (can also look very business-like; this is a natural switch hitter)
    • DB black and white broken bone saxony
    • Any tweed suit
    Solid gray flannel (can also look very business-like; this is a natural switch hitter)

Some of these sound like what I've heard called "Friday suits." What is saxony?