"Necessary" Sport Coats:

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Newcomer, Jun 30, 2009.

1. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

Is foo really going to argue that he doesn't need a navy blazer?

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Is foo really going to argue that he doesn't need a navy blazer?

I have one, but I never wear it. When would I ever need to where something else wouldn't work? I'm not saying it's not a nice thing to have, and easy to wear, I'm just not sure you need one.

3. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

Green Harris tweed - with mid grey flannels, pale blue shirt and solid navy tie, along with tobacco suede half brogues. Wonderful.

that's exactly what I was thinking, and maybe winter white flannel pants from Cucinelli in the spring with chocolate suede shoes just to mix it up with no tie and a sea foam pocket square to make it all pop [​IMG]

4. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I have one, but I never wear it. When would I ever need to where something else wouldn't work? I'm not saying it's not a nice thing to have, and easy to wear, I'm just not sure you need one.

I have three, and wear them often. I cannot imagine NOT having at least one.

5. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

I like them for night events when a suit is a bit too much.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^^ I like the idea of having staples in your wardrobe, but I'm not the biggest fan of prioritzing the staples. A blue blazer is a safe choice, but how many times will you absolutely need to wear it?

You, my friend, just lost any hope you had of becoming a real, true Trad.

You're better off getting basic suits than odd jackets.

Serious. You will look better dressing down a suit than dressing down a jacket.

This is very anti-foo.

And anti-Holliday.

7. mafoofan

I have three, and wear them often. I cannot imagine NOT having at least one.

I definitely can't imagine having more than one.

I like them for night events when a suit is a bit too much.

I just figure if it's night, and a suit is too much, a tweed jacket will be just as suitable as a navy blazer. If only a dark color would look right, I'd just go with the suit.

8. mafoofan

You, my friend, just lost any hope you had of becoming a real, true Trad.

Well, this was never really in the cards, was it?

9. DocHolliday

It isn't for most Trads, but they don't let that stop them.

10. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

I definitely can't imagine having more than one.

I just figure if it's night, and a suit is too much, a tweed jacket will be just as suitable as a navy blazer. If only a dark color would look right, I'd just go with the suit.

You shop at jpress and alden and don't want to look trady? C'mon. You're so fake sometimes. I said when a suit would be too much, tweed and checks look weird for evening events. Unless of course you are like randallr and Ed and wear really loud jackets.

11. mafoofan

It isn't for most Trads, but they don't let that stop them.

If I ever became fully faux-Trad, I'd stop being fully faux-Neapolitan. Unacceptable.

12. DocHolliday

If I ever became fully faux-Trad, I'd stop being fully faux-Neapolitan. Unacceptable.

Who says you can't be both? We're just making it up as we go along, aren't we?

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I went through a long period of contempt for the lowly blazer, and then I started having to travel a lot, and it turns out they are very useful.

14. mafoofan

You shop at jpress and alden and don't want to look trady? C'mon. You're so fake sometimes. I said when a suit would be too much, tweed and checks look weird for evening events. Unless of course you are like randallr and Ed and wear really loud jackets.

I'm fake because I like some things from J. Press and Alden but don't dress completely Trad? Come on, that doesn't follow at all. There are certain Trad/Ivy things I like a lot and freely adopt, but I don't dress strictly in that way.

I have trouble imagining an event to which a suit would be too dressy, but where tweed odd jackets would be wrong. I mean, what are you saying, that only a navy blue blazer would do?

15. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

I'm fake because I like some things from J. Press and Alden but don't dress completely Trad? Come on, that doesn't follow at all. There are certain Trad/Ivy things I like a lot and freely adopt, but I don't dress strictly in that way.

I have trouble imagining an event to which a suit would be too dressy, but where tweed odd jackets would be wrong. I mean, what are you saying, that only a navy blue blazer would do?

Why wear clothes at all? I'm curious to see if you can convince yourself you navy blazer is useless. You look terrible in your tweedy stuff, you should really go back to the basics for more elegance.