• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Necessary items for the modern Dandy?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I saw the name Chester Jefferies of England on one of the descriptions from the Jay Kos glove auctions. Damn, those are nice (and a good price). Nah, I'm hoping someone else buys them all up so I don't spend $$ on something else I can't justify at the moment (besides, thinking about rewarding myself for the job offer letter I'm supposed to receive in the next week....not gloves!)

Damn, I guess no Dandy is complete without a proper umbrella-- several brought that subject up. I'd guess the Whangee handle umbrella is the pinnacle for the modern Dandy-- but certainly whatever the choice, it comes from Swaine, Fox, or a special italian company.

Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
who makes Jay Kos Made in England gloves?

@The Foxx - did you buy your gloves?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
304990350_o.jpg

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Another useful way to think about difference is in the combat techniques. A gentleman will form his hands into fists and engage in fisticuffs. In contrast, a dandy will fight using an open hand, and a downward, slapping motion.

Both have aggression in common, however, and are to be feared.

- B

Not to be confused with a pimp slap
smack.gif

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you know, if that jacket had narrow lapels it might be pretty cool. Reminds me of Etro.

Originally Posted by bigbris1
304990350_o.jpg

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Foxxxxxy:

My guess is that thing is in the V&A Museum in London as a Tommy Nutter period piece or something. The inimitable Oscar Udeshi does similar stuff in contemporary styles -- check him in Harrods or at his boutique on Davies St if you get to London.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Narrow lapels and collar stays seem very un-Dandy to me. A Dandy isn't afraid to flap.

Hotchpotch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
The inimitable Oscar Udeshi .

If you put his name into Google images you get a picture of little foof having a fitting for a Rubinacci sportsjacket.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A waxed moustache (and accessories to make & maintain one) and a monacle.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
A waxed moustache (and accessories to make & maintain one) and a monacle.

Damn, some of you guys are pretty old fashioned in your ideas of the Dandy! I figured the Modern Dandy would have somewhat modern adaptations of style, not quite crossing the line into "period costume" from the early part of the century. I think more along the looks of Hamish Bowles than the monacle-sporting/ cigarette holder forumite I spotted here once or twice.

OK, fess up-- who bought a pair of Jay Kos gloves from the auctions, and where are the pics?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads