Nearly 40 and my body is falling apart - what to do???

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by jeff in vancouver, Jan 2, 2012.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Wow, you really are a child.

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

This or other stretching on a regular basis is a huge help. I've struggled like you to be able to keep in shape and to keep weight off, because of joint wear, and because it seems like I've always got some nagging ache or small injury. A few things:
    1. As you've already realized, damage we've done in the past is not going away. You have to be realistic about what your body can and can't do, and you have to really manage your diet and your physical activity.
    2. Realize that your body needs a lot more rest now. Slow, steady, and patient is better - i.e.: you likely need to take days off to let your body recover. It's OK and can be managed.
    3. Diet is much more important. You can't overcome eating crappy food by working harder. Especially on off days, you have to be vigilant with what you eat.
    4. Stretching for me is huge. It doesn't do anything for the joint pain, but it keeps me from running in unnatural positions that might put pressure on my joints. I've read various things about whether it's better to stretch before or after working out. I always stretch after; I've found that it's better for me to do a light warmup before running, and to ease into it, rather than trying to stretch heavily and jump in with the intensity.
    5. Weights is a problem with working out the lower body, because of the knees. I've just had to give up some exercises that put stress on them. Maybe settling for things like the horizontal squat machine is the best you can do.

Unfortunately, we all find out that this is just a fact of life as get older - even though we don't believe it when we're younger!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. VonLehndorff

VonLehndorff Senior member

I didn't place specific recc. of free weights to anyone claiming joint pain or needing surgery. Just a general recc. for those claiming they are out-of-shape, gaining weight and feeling like crap. As to <10 for guys over 40, I didn't say NEEDS but it is both possible and would certainly benefit sports performance.

4. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

Why not just set realistic goals and actually meet them? If your going to make recommendations you should tailor them to the person asking and their goals, not some general recommendation that isn't relevant to the person asking. Having a body fat of < 10% is beneficial to sports performance (in some sports) and would be a good recommendation for someone that is currently a competitive athlete looking for help, which the OP clearly is not.

5. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I was amazed a few years ago at how much better I felt after dropping about 20 lbs. It really makes a huge difference in everything you do.

Good luck! I'm 42, so sort of in the same boat you are (although I feel great and didn't pound my body into oblivion when I was younger).

6. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I'm 36, turning 37 in July.

Is this what I have to look forward to?

Fuck.

7. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

32 these threads are very inspirational

8. jeff in vancouver

jeff in vancouver Well-Known Member

Solid advice. I NEVER stretched was I was young. But come to think of it, when Yoga has been main work out or when I have had a solid stretching routine I felt much better. I am going to have to see how I can intigrate that.

For the younger guys reading this thread, have fun when your young, but don't abuse your body it will catch up with you unless you have amazing genes. Not I admit I shit kicked my body when I was young and did very dumb things like play football on a fractured leg which cause ligament damage. By the time i actually went to the doc and they took x-rays - he pointed out the fracture and all the damage and basically told me I screwed up my leg so bad that it was too late to do anything and mise well limp out the rest of the season.

9. VonLehndorff

OK, I stand corrected, but intended it as a general comment. Would you agree that one should not have BF>20% ? Achieving a "cut" of let's say, 5% is difficult and demands an ascetic diet but one in the "teens" is certainly achievable. As to how it benefits, realize that when your body fat is low, it is indicative of low intra-organ fat and certainly a benefit to long-term health.

If one is a runner, and puts on 5-10 lbs of body weight, whether fat or muscle, it is felt, and affects performance. It is proven that high body weight affects joints (long term) esp. if one runs, plays tennis, other "weight bearing" sports.

10. VonLehndorff

Quote:
    If you stay in shape from your 30s into your 40s and 50s you will hear your friends complain: "feeling my age" and will realise you are ahead of the game. . Recovery time is the big annoyance, as your ability to dump lactic acid is diminished. If you do stay in shape your testosterone levels may not decline as it does in most. That, and a healthly circulatory system will prevent the fearful ED.

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

Yeah i'd say in the teens is acceptable. 15%ish would be easy to maintain and improve his health. He may very well be in that bf% range already, he didn't specify.

12. VonLehndorff

BTW. If you feel like crap, ("chronic fatigue syndrome") or slow-to-recover, try B12 Vit. Pills or get a shot. works.

13. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

I would aggree with this, certainly less then 20% BF would be a good and achievable goal to someone in the OP's situation.

14. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I agree with this. I was always middle of the pack athletically compared to my friends, but have shot past them now. Just doing any physical activity into your 40s and 50s is worthwhile.

And recovery time is a big factor. You always want to recreate what you could do when you were younger; but you need to change your mindset to realize that rest is constructive, too.

15. Jabal-Tariq

Jabal-Tariq Active Member

Instead of lifting heavy weights, you should do alot of stretching and calisthenics. Also VITAMINS would probably help