• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

near perfect $30 haircut - how much would you tip?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to go to a decent place (lets rate them 8 out of 10) which was $25. This made tipping rather easy, I would leave a $5 tip every time. I found a place which does a slightly better job, exactly like I want it and they got massv skillz, but the price is $30. I left $40 total last time, but that seems excessive in some ways. Is $5 being a cheap bastard? Also feel cheap giving them something like a fiver and 2 singles. cry me a river
musicboohoo[1].gif
how much would you tip?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tip 5 bucks one time, then 10 the next. They'll even out..

Isaac Mickle

Reaction score
five bucks every time on twenty to twenty-five dollar haircuts. i might tip more on a $30 haircut. i would want to know more about the environment. if the cutters are young people who are not getting much per cut from the house, then i would tip more. if the cutters own the business, then i would be comfortable tipping five dollars.

vanity

Reaction score
I tip my girl $10 b/c the haircut is only $22 and she does an AMAZING job. I can also trust her advice becomes sometimes I go in and say "I want a new haircut. Something cool but I don't know what." Then she'll do her own thing and I like the results.

Once I went to this trendy salon on a recommendation of a gf of mine. Her cut was only $50 for a girl and it was a high end salon. She highly recommended it. So I go there and they have me change into this weird one-piece haircut cloak (so my clothes dont get hairy). The place is crazy with modern decorations and they massage my head while I got washed. I ended up getting some former-teacher from Vidal Sassoon to cut me. The place was like a ******* cartoon, the girls were SOOPER hot with ********* and tiny outfits, badass makeup and lips, all the guys were mega flamboyant and gay, everyone was ultra fashionable.

I go to pay and cost me $110. I couldn't ******* believe it. A guy's haircut with scissors and no color or anything. I got hammered immediately afterward and never went back. So now, anything under $50 is a steal

For those in chicago this was Salon Liv which used to be on Wells in Old Town. Right down from the street from Kamehachi.

Buddy Love

Reaction score
I truly don't understand tipping? Don't they get paid for their jobs?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buddy Love
I truly don't understand tipping? Don't they get paid for their jobs?

They get paid less because of the expectation of tipping.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buddy Love
That sucks.
Yes and no. One intention is that it incentivizes the stylist to be more friendly towards the customer which improves customer service. I think in general the stylists would get paid more in a tip environment than in one where tipping was not really done, as long as they're friendly and get repeat business. There's also the tax reporting element of it, since most tips are cash. I suppose the downside is that 1) they have to be friendly, and 2) some people are assholes.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I thought stylists worked on commission? My old stylist did anyways. She mentioned that she would bring in $300-$400 a day quite regularly.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
I thought stylists worked on commission? My old stylist did anyways. She mentioned that she would bring in $300-$400 a day quite regularly.

It depends on the shop, I'm sure.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick correction; hairstylists are not like bartenders that work for below minimum wage. They could be paid by commission, hourly or if it is a situation where they "rent" their chair in the salon all the money goes to them and from that they pay the salon.

For hairstylists, the tip is indeed a tip technically; appreciation for a job well done. However it is sort of expected in the USA regardless.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
still, I would think the average stylist has a fairly low salary before tips. By average stylist i mean the type who charges $30 for a haircut. I'm guessing 30k a year? How could they be paid more than that. If anyone knows any hard numbers, please specify.

If someone cuts my hair for almost an hour (she really does) and makes 30k a year, I think a tip is appropriate. Do you think she makes $60k salary or more? If that is really true then I would rethink my tip philosophy altogether.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
It depends on the shop, I'm sure.
Yes. Some are employees and some are independent contractors. It just depends.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I used to go to a decent place (lets rate them 8 out of 10) which was $25. This made tipping rather easy, I would leave a $5 tip every time.

I found a place which does a slightly better job, exactly like I want it and they got massv skillz, but the price is $30. I left $40 total last time, but that seems excessive in some ways. Is $5 being a cheap bastard? Also feel cheap giving them something like a fiver and 2 singles.

cry me a river
musicboohoo[1].gif
how much would you tip?

As someone else suggested, you might alternate between $5 and $10. I pay $50 where I get my haircut. The woman who cuts it is terrific - one of the few people who has ever been able to consistently cut my hair in a way that I didn't hate. Plus she's a great person, and I know enough about her life to know that while she's not starving, she's not exactly on the brink of early retirement, either. So I often tip $20, although if I have a $10 I'll sometimes drop down to $10. I don't know if that helps or not, but just for whatever the perspective is worth.
On a $30 haircut that you're really happy with, I think $10 is appropriate. But if you're more comfortable with $5 I think that's also appropriate, and you're not being a cheap bastard.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think $5 is an adequate tip on a $30 haircut... (it's slightly more than 16% - 16 and two-thirds to be exact) and I think what's more important to them than the size of your tip is whether or not you keep coming back!

Personally, I would leave $10... I like to make people happy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads