• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neapolitan Shirtmaker Suggestions

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I'm going back to Naples next week and would like to visit a shirtmaker or two. I'm already a Matuozzo client, but I'm curious as to what else is out there. I've heard of Piccolo, Merolla, and L'ero, though I don't know much about them. I'd like to avoid shops that cater to tourists and outsiders and I'm willing to pay for quality.

Thanks!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you're happy with Rubi's product and service, why not give their shirts a go as well?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
If you're happy with Rubi's product and service, why not give their shirts a go as well?

They don't put nearly as much hand-sewing into their shirts.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had limited intereaction with Picolo (this one:http://www.camiceriapiccolo.com/). They appeal to me because my email exchanges with them have been clear (they appear to speak english fairly well), the prices seem reasonable, and I like the ability to order shirts over the web. I plan on visiting them next time I'm in Naples.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that my $60 Peter Lee shirts made in Hong Kong are not good enough for da' Foo?

But seriously, on a more serious note what about Finamore or are they more touristy? It might not hurt to PM T4phage as I wouldn't be surprised if he has some good suggestions from his travels throughout the city.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in Naples at the end of may and plan to order few shirts from an unknown (to iGent) shirtmaker that came to me highly recommended (aside of De L'Ero from whom I may also order) and having shared the info with a forum member I believe was also found to be that good. If you are interested let me know. After receiving the shirts I plan to do a proper write up

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just came back from Naples. The Finamore shop is very cozy and offers a nice selection of MTM shirts. Prices start at 240 Euro for MTM.

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one bespoke shirt still in the making from salvatore piccolo, the one that travels with Scafora, he says his shirts are 100% handmade, but I've yet to examine the final product, price for the shirt was $350, wouldn't hurt to check out his establishment in Naples and do some investigating for yourself

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the risk of shortening this thread drastically, let me ask some more pointed questions.

1. What Neapolitan tailors make their shirts to the greatest possible extent (if not entirely) by hand?
2. Which of these is ready to work with a client who has a clear vision of what he wants from a piece of clothing?
3. Of this smaller set, which is the most expensive?
4. Where is this tailor located?

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slickman
I have one shirt still in the making from salvatore piccolo, the one that travels with Scafora, he says his shirts are 100% handmade, but I've yet to examine the final product, price for the shirt was $350, wouldn't hurt to check out his establishment in Naples and do some investigating for yourself

Ambrosi recommended to me Salvatore Piccolo. And I saw him wearing Piccolo's shirt when I saw Ambrosi. It looked good on him. Previous time Ambrosi was wearing Matuozzo shirt, which I liked more.

As for 100% handmade - I think he was lying. Side seams are definetely machine made and then double with hand seams. It would be more precise.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Why do you want to do this?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
As for 100% handmade - I think he was lying. Side seams are definetely machine made and then double with hand seams. It would be more precise.

That's how Matuozzo does the seams on her fully-handmade shirts as well. That's the only way you want it, as you need the underlying machine sewing for strength.

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
That's how Matuozzo does the seams on her fully-handmade shirts as well. That's the only way you want it, as you need the underlying machine sewing for strength.
How does she attach collar? Fully hand made or also machine with hand finishing?

Do you know what are her prices at the moment?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
How does she attach collar? Fully hand made or also machine with hand finishing?

Do you know what are her prices at the moment?

On the fully-handmade shirts, the collars are attached by hand. I assume Piccolos are as well?

I'm not familiar with the current prices, but I *think* they are around 500 euros. Not cheap.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm not familiar with the current prices, but I *think* they are around 500 euros. Not cheap.

wow.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads