• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neapolitan jackets: Full, half or unstructured canvas?

Xcyte

Reaction score
I'm having two sports jackets made in a Neapolitan style. I've read these jackets typically come unstructured, but I also understand that full canvas is usually superior. Will going full canvas increase the formality of the relaxed style of a Neapolitan style jacket to any significant degree?

Also figured I'd toss in this question here too... I wanted to buy this sports jacket for all seasons, but it's a wool/linen blend. I'm not too worried about how cold it'll get because I can pair it with a warm overcoat. My primary concern is, would the hopsack wool/linen look out of place in colder months? Or good to go?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though S&M calls it a Neapolitan style jacket, it's not anywhere near a real Neapolitan jacket.

Unstructured doesn't mean no canvas. A proper tailored jacket should always have full canvas. Having full canvas or not will not increase formality of a jacket. Having no canvas would not make it a real sport jacket.

I have 2 wool/linen blend jackets. They have enough texture to wear it into Fall and with a coat in winter.

Xcyte

Reaction score
Even though S&M calls it a Neapolitan style jacket, it's not anywhere near a real Neapolitan jacket.

Unstructured doesn't mean no canvas. A proper tailored jacket should always have full canvas. Having full canvas or not will not increase formality of a jacket. Having no canvas would not make it a real sport jacket.

I have 2 wool/linen blend jackets. They have enough texture to wear it into Fall and with a coat in winter.

Astute -- yes I'm ordering from S&M. What features would it need to be a real Neapolitan jacket? I'm guessing you're not a fan of their sportscoats?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Astute -- yes I'm ordering from S&M. What features would it need to be a real Neapolitan jacket? I'm guessing you're not a fan of their sportscoats?
For $300 they are perfectly fine. I had them once upon a time 😂
Their lapels are not Neapolitan and the front dart doesn't run all the way down to the bottom of the jacket.

Xcyte

Reaction score
For $300 they are perfectly fine. I had them once upon a time 😂
Their lapels are not Neapolitan and the front dart doesn't run all the way down to the bottom of the jacket.

Ah lol. Besides bespoke, what would you consider a step up? I was planning on getting a bunch of stuff from them (made to order, full canvas, etc) you may have changed my mind hahaha.

also re:the lapels…since you mentioned Having them once upon a time, I think they’ve since upgraded the lapels.You’re probably aware but figured I’d mention anyway

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry too much about the details of whether a jacket is more Neapolitan or Florentine or whatever. These are details that almost nobody knows or cares about. The real question is whether the jacket fits you and flatters your body type.
Unstructured jackets, because they have so little structure, tend to be more rumpled and casual-looking as a result.

I think until you nail down your jacket fit and style, if you have a choice between half and full-canvas, I wouldn’t spend extra on full canvas. Even though half canvassed jackets have fusing, modern fusibles are quite good. I think most people would not be able to tell the difference between a good half canvassed jacket and a fully canvassed jacket just by sight and how the jacket feels when worn.

I personally think the Spier and Mackay jackets are a tremendous value for the money if they fit you well. Cavour’s jackets look quite nice and have a lot of fans here, but I haven’t seen them in person.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
S&M at $300 is good. A step up would be Cavour in house tailoring, they go on sale from time to time.

Next would be Drop93 for Armoury's Ring Jacket. If the jacket is labeled AMJ03, then it's Armoury's RJ.

Ring Jacket's own line of tailoring are sized differently. So size up one size from your normal jacket size.
RJ are very soft and full canvassed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads