• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neapolitan 3-piece Suits

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the "neapolitan standard" for 3-piece suits, I know you rarely see them wear one, but i've seen trousers with belt loops rather than side tabs? Doesn't a belt with a 3-piece just look at little off?

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Ideally the vest should be long enough to cover the belt.

I've talked to Mina about side adjusters and she didn't seem a huge fan -- claimed they were very British (though she could, of course, do them if you truly wanted)

kcc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
Ideally the vest should be long enough to cover the belt.

I've talked to Mina about side adjusters and she didn't seem a huge fan -- claimed they were very British (though she could, of course, do them if you truly wanted)

Interesting view. Adjusters are more of a practical feature of trousers to me. Did Mina suggest an alternate method of preventing pants from sliding off one's waist?

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcc
Interesting view. Adjusters are more of a practical feature of trousers to me. Did Mina suggest an alternate method of preventing pants from sliding off one's waist?

surely he & she were talking about side adjusters on the waistcoat?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The British seem to know how to tailor vests. I can't ever recall seeing an Italian vest that looks right. I would only go for 2 piece suits in Italy.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
surely he & she were talking about side adjusters on the waistcoat?

To the contrary. We were speaking of pants. She was commenting on how side adjusters on them was much more British, and for Neapolitan pants, belts were almost always used. However this was in reference to pant for a two piece suit/

Manton actually brought up a similar thought earlier on, which was how Neapolitan formal (black/white tie) pants are held up.

I will ask Mina about it when I visit Naples in June and report back.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
The British seem to know how to tailor vests. I can't ever recall seeing an Italian vest that looks right. I would only go for 2 piece suits in Italy.

+1

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Medtechexpat had a 3 piece made up by Mina. I am confident he could comment further, but it looked quite fantastic from what I saw.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score

I disagree. For everything, the Milanese (especially Augusto Caraceni Milano and Ferdinando Caraceni Milano) and the Romans (especially Sartoria Aloisio Gaetano and Domenico Caraceni Roma) do just as excellent a job of making vests as the British.

Outside of formal wear, the Florentines (who do just as excellent a job of making vests for formal wear as the British, Milanese and Romans do for everything) do a merely adequate job of making vests.

As for the Neapolitans, they also do just as excellent a job of making vests for formal wear as the British, Milanese and Romans do for everything. However, outside of formal wear, the Neapolitans are the worst at making vests, unfortunately.
frown.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It is true ....

I have seen a few Cifonelli and Rubinacci 3 piece suits and I do prefer the English way to cut it..

Anderson &Sheppard are particularly fond of vests..

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
To the contrary. We were speaking of pants. She was commenting on how side adjusters on them was much more British, and for Neapolitan pants, belts were almost always used. However this was in reference to pant for a two piece suit/

Manton actually brought up a similar thought earlier on, which was how Neapolitan formal (black/white tie) pants are held up.

I will ask Mina about it when I visit Naples in June and report back.

I suspect Mina is fairly young and as we all know she is more of a stylist/ personal shopper then a trained tailor, but she offer a great service according to the feedback on this forum. However both my grandfathers used to wear no belt and had trouser with not belt holders but suspenders/braces. I have also seen pictures of my great-grandfather in group pictures, a notable Neapolitan lawyer of end of '800 early '900 wearing tailcoat, waistcoat and trousers with no belts. True Neapolitan tailoring, pre USA explosion of the Kiton/Borrelli phenomenon, was a different beast alltogether.

I have seen back in Naples tuxedo trousers always made with side adjusters

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The Italian way to cut vests seems to be to cut them very long, which makes sense since Italians cut low trouers, with a very low V at the top and quite tight across the chest so that you leave the top button open. I am not really a fran. I much prefer the English way of cutting three piece: high brace trousers, short, high vest.

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So essentially pants with button tabs or buckle tabs have been made by Neapolitan tailors for 3 pieces. I just saw pants with loops so I was a bit confused, I guess 2 pairs could always be made so you have the option

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads