• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA Offseason Thread - Update: Rasheed Wallace to Boston

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not a big surprise but...

Pistons fire Curry after one season on job

Posted Jun 30 2009 2:41PM

DETROIT (AP) -- The Detroit Pistons fired Michael Curry on Tuesday after finishing under .500 in his first year as coach and was swept in the first round of the playoffs.

The Pistons began the season with big hopes but couldn't recover from the loss of All-Star point guard Chauncey Billups in a November trade to Denver for Allen Iverson.

The Pistons went 39-43 and exited the postseason in four lopsided losses to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Joe Dumars, the team's president for basketball operations, said after that series that Curry would return.

"This was a difficult decision to make," Dumars said in a statement Tuesday. "I want to thank Michael for his hard work and dedication to the organization. However, at this time, I have decided to make a change."

Immediately after the season, Dumars defended Curry in the face of Detroit's demise.

"It was an up-and-down season for him," Dumars said. "And, an up-and down-season for us. ... The fact that we made so many changes for a first-year coach, I had to step back and be a little more patient than I have been."

"During the season I said to myself, 'What effect is this having on him as a first-year coach.' I tried to put myself in his shoes."

A message was left on Curry's cell phone Tuesday seeking comment. In January, he said he expected to be held responsible for the team's fortunes.

"It's part of the job," he said. "When you lose, it's the coach's fault. When you win, the players get the praise."

Dumars fired coach Flip Saunders last year after he led the team to the Eastern Conference finals in each of his three seasons. Curry was an assistant under Saunders for one season.

The Pistons parted ways with Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown in 2005 after he helped them win a title and almost repeat during his two years with the team.

Rick Carlisle was fired after two years with the Pistons following an Eastern Conference finals appearance in his second season and NBA Coach of the Year honors in his first.

Curry is a former president of the NBA Players Association. He played for the Pistons in 1995-1997 and 1999-2003.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sources: Gordon, Villanueva to Pistons

The Detroit Pistons made the biggest early splash in free agency on Wednesday, agreeing to terms with Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva.

Former Bulls guard Gordon will receive a five-year, $55 million deal, while former Bucks forward Villanueva gets a five-year deal for $35 million, sources told ESPN.com's Chris Broussard.

Gordon rejected deals from Chicago in excess of $50 million each of the past two seasons.

The Associated Press first reported the Villanueva signing.

Free agents can't officially sign with new teams until July 8.

Gordon, who was taken third in the 2004 draft by Chicago, led the Bulls in scoring each of the past four seasons. He averaged 20.4 points per game on 45.5 percent shooting last year. For his career, he has a 21.3 points per game average.

Villanueva, the seventh overall pick by Toronto in 2006 who has played the past three seasons with the Bucks, averaged 16.2 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season.
It'll be interesting to see if Gordon comes off the bench once again this time around, I guess they can sit Stucky and have Gordon be a PG with Hamilton on the court. Villanueva is a good addition but that means they'll have to sit Prince and/or move Wallace to the C spot.

Good move by Detroit though. Gordon & Charlie V > Iverson at this point.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In other news:

Portland is trying to get Hedo.
Rudy Fernandez is not happy about it and might go back to Europe.
Gortat being pursued Mavs and Rockets.
Mavs ready to offer Kidd a 3 year deal, there's a chance he might go to NY.
Dumars might be Pistons coach next year.
Kobe is staying, decides against opt-out.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ben Gordon is not a point guard, he makes awful decisions. He'll sit behind Rip and Tayshaun unless he still content with being a 6th man - then he's a good pickup. Rip doesnt log huge minutes either.

Charlie V - cant say I know much. He was stuck in the outpost of milwaukee. In fact, I cant recallever actually watching him in a bucks uniform. Quick, name 3 Bucks players....

I love portland, they need to keep Rudy though. I LOVE that dudes game, but you cant argue with Hedo and winning now.

Suddenly this Gortat clown is being sought after? Did I miss something?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...0,238192.story

Zach Randolph's short career with the Clippers is over. Clippers to trade Randolph for Quentin Richardson

Clearing the way for No. 1 pick Blake Griffin, the Clippers have agreed to trade power forward Zach Randolph to Memphis for former Clipper Quentin Richardson, The Times learned today.

Because of salary-cap rules, the deal can't be completed until next week.
I think they have gotten someone better for ZBo but I guess another no hesitation 3-point chucking player couldn't hurt to stretch the court for Blake. Now just keep Kaman in the starting line-up and have Camby come off the bench and if Davis stays healthy and Thronton plays consitently, they might actually make the 8th seed in the next years playoff.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trevor Ariza leaning toward leaving the Lakers, possibly to Cavs

The 24-year-old swingman, who played a key role in the Lakers' run to their 15th NBA championship, is on the verge of leaving the club, sources close to the situation said on Wednesday.

With at least five teams pursuing Ariza, the Lakers are currently unwilling to pay him more than the $5.6 million mid-level exception.

"They're letting him go," one of the sources said.

Cleveland is making a hard push for Ariza, and the Cavaliers' coaching staff was speaking with him on Wednesday. While Cleveland can only offer the mid-level as well, Ariza's disappointment with the Lakers' stance has moved other suitors ahead of his current team.

The Rockets, Clippers, Raptors and Blazers are also showing interest in Ariza. Portland and Toronto could each offer more than the mid-level exception.

If the Lakers refuse to increase their offer, it's a clear indication that they are choosing their other big free agent forward, Lamar Odom, over the younger Ariza.

Ariza averaged 8.9 points and 4.3 rebounds in the regular season for the Lakers last season. He increased his scoring to 11.3 points and had 4.2 rebounds per game in the playoffs. He had 16 points and 15 points in the last two Lakers victories in the Finals.

Those numbers were a jump over his career averages of 6.9 points and 3.8 rebounds per game. Ariza has played for three teams in his five-year career.
Sad to see him go but I'll be damned is he goes to the Cavs. He will be a good role player but I don't think he will shine as much as he does with the Lakers. He definitely helped the Lakers win the championship but with Shaq, Lebron and Williams, I doubt he would get much ball touches as he did with the Lakers.

69monaro

Reaction score
News in Portland is that the Blazers are showing Hedo around town in an effort to convince him to sign. I'm unsure if Hedo will fit with the Blazers current squad. We should know in the next few days. Blazers don't want to drag this thing out any longer than they have to.

Rip City!

69Monaro

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, the Lakers should keep Ariza and let Odom walk, if necessary. Ariza could really help the Cavs with his 3-point shooting and defense. Who wouldn't rather have Ariza on the floor instead of Szczerbiak (however his name is spelled).

Ben Gordon is a good 6th man for the Pistons (obviously), but I've never been a big fan of Villanueva. As much as I like Joe Dumars, I think the Pistons' failure this past year rests squarely on him. Billups for "The Answer"?? You've got to be kidding me! Iverson has (had?) a terrific game, but he's aging and his effect on team chemistry is always questionable.

Gortat has a lot going for him...he's a big man who is only 25 and can walk and chew gum at the same time. So he can "clog the lane", i.e. he's a big lump who takes up a lot of space, so he'll get paid.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Right now, there is a possibility of Rasheed Wallace going to the Spurs.
Yeah I know, it's a rumor but it is a possibility and imagine that line-up?
Parker, Mason, Richardson, Duncan and Wallace with Ginobili coming off the bench.

The Spurs will be back in contention next year if it happens.

The Celtics is also trying to get Wallace. Ainge, Rivers, Allen, Garnett and Pierce were reported to have visited Wallace in Detroit this week. I guess they are really serious in getting him.

Yeah, the two majors teams going for Hedo right now are Toronto and Portland and whoever doesn't get Hedo will go for Ariza and he will get paid. Rockets are trying to get their hands on him but I see no incentive for him to go there.

I wouldn't be surprised if Iverson retires if he isn't willing to get a pay cut.

Gordon might workout well for Pistons if they can get a decent PG. Stuckey is good but he is a scorer and they don't need anymore scorer. The same with their back-up PG Will Bynum (I think thats his name). If Detroit lets Wallce go, get Gortat and a decent PG like Andre Miller and they would be a very solid team.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Big news for the Lakers fans.

http://twitter.com/KBerg_CBS

Breaking News. Ron Artest tells CBSSports.com he is signing with the Lakers.
Ron Artest has told Ken Berger of CBSSports.com that he will sign with the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I'm definitely going to L.A. -- to sign, yeah," Artest said in a phone interview. "Lakers, Lakers, Lakers. I'm in L.A. right now."

Artest said he met with Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss Thursday and previously had spoken with Lakers coach Phil Jackson. He was en route to his financial manager's office, where he planned to huddle on the phone with his agent, David Bauman, to finalize details.

The parameters of the deal still need to be agreed upon, however.

"I don't really care about the money," Artest said. "I'll play there for nothing. ... L.A. was very interested in me, and they got me."
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...38893/15861966

What I say to that is... GOODBYE ARIZA!

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
Ben Gordon is not a point guard, he makes awful decisions. He'll sit behind Rip and Tayshaun unless he still content with being a 6th man - then he's a good pickup. Rip doesnt log huge minutes either.

Charlie V - cant say I know much. He was stuck in the outpost of milwaukee. In fact, I cant recallever actually watching him in a bucks uniform. Quick, name 3 Bucks players....

I love portland, they need to keep Rudy though. I LOVE that dudes game, but you cant argue with Hedo and winning now.

Suddenly this Gortat clown is being sought after? Did I miss something?

Ben Gordon is a 6th man. He's always coming off the bench for Chi
confused.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nice coup. Now we have someone physical enough to help Kobe bump LeBron and 'Melo type around on defense. Artest is no slouch on offense either, and assuming he comes cheap(er than Ariza), LA should now have the dough to resign Candy Man. Ariza was absolutely fantastic, and he might as well take the next step and become an All Star, but as is, it'll be hard for him to replicate the lights out shooting performance in the postseason.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads