• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA Offseason Thread - Update: Rasheed Wallace to Boston

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
picks 2-4 are epic fails. sam bowie level not so much, but pretty awful

Not a fan of Harden and I am not sure about Thabeet, but I really like Evans. Reminds me a lot of Manu the way he gets to the basket.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta

i ask because kobe bryant is getting old, and i think his performance this year showed that he peaked as a player last year or the year before that. i'd like to see the lakers move for lebron james but i haven't seen or heard anyone discuss this. is there anything keeping them from going after lebron?

Money and the fact that they have Kobe. Kobe's still Kobe and a declining Kobe is still one of the best players in the league. The Lakers aren't going to say goodbye to Kobe anytime soon and those two contracts aren't going to be on the same team, especially if you factor in Bynum, Pau, etc. They're not the Yankees.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
slightly off-topic but i'll ask anyway.

what are the rules governing lebron james' leaving cleveland? from what i gather his contract is over after next season and then he can go wherever he wants? people seem to be talking as though he will end up in new york, but do they have some sort of inside track to sign him or can any team offer him a contract?

i ask because kobe bryant is getting old, and i think his performance this year showed that he peaked as a player last year or the year before that. i'd like to see the lakers move for lebron james but i haven't seen or heard anyone discuss this. is there anything keeping them from going after lebron?

double-facepalm.jpg

F*cking ungrateful soccer fan, you. In American sports it's common for teams/players to get a 2, 3 year grace period after winning a championship. Not everyone is as spineless as Sir Alex Ferguson who sells out the best players at the very peak of their careers.

Anyway I strongly disagree that Kobe is already in the declining phase of his career. Just that he doesn't have to play 1 on 5 basketball every night now that we have Gasol, Odom, Ariza..

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by track309
How did you guys like that counter? Orlando countered the Cavs by trading for half -man half- amazing, Vince Carter.

My Hornets really need to get in the mix. They re just too soft. CP3 cant do it alone.
frown.gif

Ha, good luck with george shinn.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
Oh my god. The Wizard's trade just got worse. Ricky Rubio went 5th. Seriously Washington is cursed.
True, although Washington may have have anticipated Rubio would be gone by then and that they'd be stuck with James Harden.

DDSJohnny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
because rubio is going to the knicks via trade for david lee (who hill will replace) and some other junk and 2010 #1 pick

that makes a lot of sense for both teams.

also heard that curry might be going to the suns alongside bellineli, wright, and someone else for amare.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
double-facepalm.jpg

F*cking ungrateful soccer fan, you. In American sports it's common for teams/players to get a 2, 3 year grace period after winning a championship. Not everyone is as spineless as Sir Alex Ferguson who sells out the best players at the very peak of their careers.

Anyway I strongly disagree that Kobe is already in the declining phase of his career. Just that he doesn't have to play 1 on 5 basketball every night now that we have Gasol, Odom, Ariza..

who do you like more, the lakers, or kobe? i like him as much as the next guy but the team comes first. if they wait until he's old they won't get anything for him. if they move for lebron as a free-agent, kobe will still be young enough to get a couple of decent players for him in a trade.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who do you like more, the lakers, or kobe? i like him as much as the next guy but the team comes first. if they wait until he's old they won't get anything for him. if they move for lebron as a free-agent, kobe will still be young enough to get a couple of decent players for him in a trade.

Post like this shows you know next to nothing about the NBA. A couple of things:

1. Because of the salary cap, restriction it's almost impossible for the Lakers to go after LeBron while still have Kobe on the roster. If they trade Kobe first, then they risk losing out on the LeBron sweepstakes and end up with nothing. Not to mention LeBron's outsized ego would prevent him from joining a team w/ Kobe or even joining the Lakers, which would make it look like he's following Kobe's footstep/

2. Kobe has a no-trade clause on his contract. He can veto any moves, and DID just that when Mitch Kupchak agreed on a deal with the Bulls.

3. Teams "get next to nothing" for players with expiring contract all the time. Again, it's not ******* soccer where there's a huge incentive to get rid of expiring contracts by selling them for massive monetary sum.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Post like this shows you know next to nothing about the NBA. A couple of things:

1. Because of the salary cap, restriction it's almost impossible for the Lakers to go after LeBron while still have Kobe on the roster. If they trade Kobe first, then they risk losing out on the LeBron sweepstakes and end up with nothing. Not to mention LeBron's outsized ego would prevent him from joining a team w/ Kobe or even joining the Lakers, which would make it look like he's following Kobe's footstep/

2. Kobe has a no-trade clause on his contract. He can veto any moves, and DID just that when Mitch Kupchak agreed on a deal with the Bulls.

3. Teams "get next to nothing" for players with expiring contract all the time. Again, it's not ******* soccer where there's a huge incentive to get rid of expiring contracts by selling them for massive monetary sum.

i said in my initial post that i don't know the rules, that's why i'm asking. the salary cap, as far as i know, only causes a luxury tax for the owner, it would not keep him from spending gross amounts of money if he wanted to. so i think they could bid for lebron, sign him, then dump kobe. and i don't think kobe would object to a trade if lebron showed up and the lakers made a big thing in the media about the lakers wanting kobe gone.

and i don't see why lebron would not want to join the lakers. kobe and shaq followed kareem and magic who followed wilt and west. players come and go and lebron is a professional. he's going to go to whoever offers the best $$$ contract and chance of success.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's a soft salary cap in which if a team goes over they get hit with a luxury tax dollar for dollar. Having Kobe and Lebron on the same team would mean there would be 2 max contracts which would probably eat up about 75% of the salary cap. Because of this and roster limits, it's hard to trade players since the roster limit and cap both have to be considered.

The reason why everyone is speculating Lebron going to NY is because they're one of the few teams with the cap room to sign him to a max contract and NY>>>>>>Cleveland.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL. Whacked always says someone doesn't know anything about a sport when they disagree with him.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
LOL. Whacked always says someone doesn't know anything about a sport when they disagree with him.

bigstar[1].gif

Maybe. But I've argued with matadorpoeta on other things and knew he's more of a soccer person.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads