• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nba draftee style

shoreman80

Reaction score
Anyone care to comment on what the latest multimillionaires were wearing to their induction into the billionaire boys club? Personally, I think it's a little toned down this year, but we'll see... I always say, if you're a first round pick, couldn't you go to any tailor in the country and say, make me a suit that fits, and I'll wear it to the draft?

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can be certain that 95% of them will look absolutely AWFUL.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can be certain that 95% of them will look absolutely AWFUL.
What, you don't like 8-button suits?
tounge.gif

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I was wondering this (seriously I was): Does the 18 year old high school kid who shows up wearing a yellow 5 button suit that is about 40" from the top of the collar have his suit bespoken or is it RTW? If the former, who the hell tells them where to go? Because certainly some 18 year old high school kid without a lot of money CAN'T know the best tailor to go to to get a 5 button suit.

shoreman80

Reaction score
I'm sure most kids don't know where to go, but most have parents and managers that seem perfectly ready to spend the expected cash, and usually look like they've already begun. I guess it's silly to think they would try to dress to our definitions of "nicely fitting, tailored clothes." Mostly they want to stand out, and also apply bball style rules to the suits they have to wear. I can forgive them if they'd rather be wearing sweats. I did think Emeka Okafor (from UConn to the Charlotte Bobcats at No. 2) looked quite put-together, relatively. I haven't mastered image posting yet, so check out this pic.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did think Emeka Okafor (from UConn to the Charlotte Bobcats at No. 2) looked quite put-together, relatively. I haven't mastered image posting yet, so check out this pic.
Wow, grey, pinstripe, SB peaked lapels. Plus a pocket square. You sure he's an NBA player, not a member of this forum.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not really an expert when it comes to style or anything, but I think I'd be intensely and irrationally frightened by the sight of a seven foot tall man wearing a perfectly tailored suit.

"Good lord... look. A scarecrow dressed completely in Versace... Oh... Hi...Sorry about that..."

nuff said.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that Okafor was clearly the best-dressed of the group.  His jacket was even the right length, in contrast to the way-too-long jackets that most of the draftees were wearing.  I give second place to Okafor's teammate, Ben Gordon, who was sporting a light gray, double-vented, three-button jacket, pink shirt, and pink and lilac striped tie.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Troy McSwain is a designer for a number of athletes. He has a web site...though I don't remember the URL. The company name is McSwain Enterprises.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These guys are so tall and their shoulders are too wide.  I do not think any tailored clothing would make them look 'SUPERB'.  I say Michael Jordan was the only bballer really took care of his image (in the latter yrs of his career), but even then, his did not look so great in suits due to his size.

Kobe apparently wears very very expensive tailored clothings, especially when he goes to the court.  But, again, due to his size, he just looks average too me.

Guys like that should just stick with shorts jerseys IMHO, they look better on it.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
I did think Emeka Okafor (from UConn to the Charlotte Bobcats at No. 2) looked quite put-together, relatively. I haven't mastered image posting yet, so check out this pic.
Maybe that should be another incentive for those early-entry prospects to go to college. UCONN Basketball: Gain experience; learn how to dress.

bryce330

Reaction score
I watch the draft every year primarily for the clothing. Â I particularly love it when they show fashion footage from past drafts, such as Karl Malone in his powder-blue sportcoat and too-short white knit tie. Â ESPN.com has not one, but two articles today about the draftees' clothing choices last night: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page3...shanoff/040625 http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page3...garrity/040625 I don't agree with the second article about Okafor; I thought he looked fine, even though he broke the "don't mix stripes" rule. Â I thought Devin Harris also looked good with the simple red tie and pocket square.

discostu004

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
worst draft ever if you enjoy the hideous get-ups. these guys use tailors who cater to NBA players. a guy, if he's fairly good and can get word out, can make a living just off of NBA players, so they're MTM but i doubt they are any good and most of them look horrible. instead of going to Korshak and ordering a MTM Isaia for $3K or a MTM Kiton for $5K they save by buying a MTM POS for $1,500 and spend the savings ona $40,000 pinky wring

shoreman80

Reaction score
From the Ellen McGarrity article:
. Emeka Okafor: ...Too bad he had to ruin it with his lack of fashion sense. There were horizontal stripes on his suit, diagonal stripes on his tie and boxes on his shirt -- way too many patterns.
Anyone see any horizontal stripes on the suit? Marc37 could write a better article: "Devin Harris looked dapper, but could benefit from a coffee enema and listening to Napalm Death."
I hope she's an intern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads