1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nba conference finals

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gqelements, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

C'Mon, Navy- 4th quarter...Fisher touches a Piston on the hand and there's a whistle.

Kobe drives the lane, gets hacked by three guys and GETS PUSHED to the floor- no call.

Detroit's defense is very, very good. But it's 5 on 8.

And I think that thing Tolbert was wearing was seersucker to boot...

2. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Was it really seesucker?? Maybe one of us should apply to work as his fashion consultant. He must not have one...

Detroit's defense is smothering.  The only game in the entire playoffs where they allowed their opponent to reach the century mark was in the Triple Overtime thriller against New Jersey.  Even then, it took one overtime for the Nets just to get above 90.

Throughout the playoffs, the Pistons are allowing only 80.4 ppg, while the Lakers are allowing 86.6 ppg.

I hope it wasn't too much money.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The problem with the Lakers, as everyone has identified, is that they have no reliable third wheel.  Plus, they're soft.  This series reminds me of the Rams-Patriots Super Bowl a few years back where the Patriots got in the face and into the head of the "unbeatable" Rams.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I am not a happy camper today. My only hope is that the Lakers can extend this series game by game, lose the attitude that they can pull out whatever, whenever (they are good, but obviously not invincible, as the last two years have shown) and not wither under the rather transparently biased officiating. Some of those fouls and non-calls were pretty obvious. It's as if the officials are actively discouraging players from drawing the foul. I mean, if they decide to change the rules (like the goaltending rule put in after Wilkinson just dominated with no challenge) they should at least do it officially.

Also, where are the Lakers on the offensive glass. I saw so many Piston second attempts and hardly any Laker ones. And the way the Lakers are playing, they are going to need those second tries.

5. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

navy, i didn't bet on this series and i suspect few people did.

i agree with steve that the refs are favoring detroit. (did you see that last foul called on luke walton? neither did i.) yes they do have an excellent defense but that is no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt on every play.

one of the things i don't like about basketball is the way referees call the game differently depending on the reputation of the players involved. i remember when jordan used to have the ball stolen from him cleanly and the refs would always call a foul on the guy who stole the ball. the announcer would say "jordan's gonna get that call everytime." ridiculous. when john elway threw an interception it was an interception--they wouldn't wave off the play just because it was elway.

6. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

another problem with the Lakers is that Shaq is no longer MDE, and is merely great. He needs at least 2 days off, and I think there would only be 1 more game with 2 days off for Shaq. He couldn't have played any better in game 5, and still the Lakers lost.

I wonder how dominant the Lakers and Shaq would have been if there had been some other legitimate centers to contend with Shaq- like Ewing, Olajawoan in their prime.

7. HRHAndrew

HRHAndrew Senior member

It is clear that the Lakers are getting fouls called on them that they usually don't. However, it seems to only be the players who are complaining to the refs. Shaq who could be called for a foul every play is staying relatively foul free, and hence not complaining. Rasheed decided not to complain in game 4 and was not hit up with the fouls. Really the bottom line is that the Pistons have clearly outplayed the Lakers. Phil Jackson has been outcoached and they should be thankful that Kobe bailed them out in game two. Because they at least have a chance, albeit long one.

8. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

You said it, man. Remember Games 1-3? Where Rasheed wasn't able to play any minutes in the 2nd Quarter because of foul trouble? 'Sheed shut his mouth and came up big in Game 4. Matador, I doubt anyone is fond of the subjective way refs can officiate a game. No matter how great the officials are, they will inevitably miss fouls and make mistakes on both teams.

9. Mike

Mike Senior member

I want to hear what the ney-sayers have to say now. It was clear from this final game that the Pistons were the better team. 100-87. The media was clearly biased in favor of LA all through the series, up to this game.

Its true, the Pistons play wasn't pretty. That's not the way we play. You want glitz and glamour, go to LA. No, our team played the way Detroiters work - hard. This is also the way we party and celebrate. There ain't no party like a Dertroit party, 'cause a Detroit party don't stop. As of this writing, there has been no violence, unlike Vancouver. Take that, Jimmy Kimmel.

They were focused on playing. Maybe it was because our team isn't dominated by superstars. The players on the Pistons don't have to worry about shoe deals, clothing lines, selling products like Icy-Hot Patches, or court cases. They worried about their play, and only their play.

We were supposed to be scared of the Lakers, all media outlets said it. Yet, in the first game we said, "We are not afraid. We can beat you." We were supposed to be intimidated by Jack Nicholson and the rest of the star power behind the Lakers. Well, we have Kid Rock, Bob Segar, Eminem, Aretha Franklin, and so many others. People raised in, and who started their careers in Detroit. People who throw their support behind a team, not because its fashionable, but because they love them (Not that Jack doesn't love his Lakers. How many other celebs followed the Lakers out here to support them?).

This isn't an attempt at a troll. I just figured after all the Anti-Detroit/Pro-Lakers talk I had to speak up and be heard. The rest of you Pistons fans, speak up and show your love.

10. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

In the NBA, superstars win games. As long as I can remember, a team needed at least 2 superstars. And, the Lakers had the two best players in the game. The reason why the Lakers were the favorites are simply because they were the more talented team in the beginning. But, once they lost Malone at the beginning of the first game, the Lakers lost that talent advantage and needed to play together like a team. Unfortunately, the Lakers have coasted on talent alone for too long. Also, Fisher and Fox were banged up. That's why you saw people like Brian Cook playing, who barely played during the regular season.

I must admit that this is the end of an era, of a dynasty. Next year's Lakers are going to be very different. I don't expect a lot of players to return, nor Coach Jackson either.

11. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

As a Laker fan since the days of Wilt and Jerry West, let me be the first to congratulate the Pistons.

I do think the officiating was biased, but can also admit that it has often been biased in the Lakers' favor in the past.

As a basketball fan, and one who has found it harder and harder to watch the pro game over college because of the lack of teamwork- the Pistons' unselfish team play is very refreshing. And It's great to see Larry Brown win the two championships- class act and a great, albeit conservative, dresser.

It will be interesting to see how Phil handles his only defeat, and the fate of the team. E.g. Kobe may be in jail, rather than Phoenix or New York...

12. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

as a laker fan, since the days of bob macadoo and jamaal wilkes, i'll be the second to congratulate the pistons. they were the better team this year. the loss would have gone over a little smoother over here had the officiating been better. i don't know how it is in the rest of the contry, but on the local stations in l.a., they show a slow motion replay after almost every foul. i can count the number of replays abc showed during the finals on one hand...
    navystyles, as a guy who has played soccer all his life and has had to deal with bad refs who cost my team games and championships with bad calls, i have a very strong opinion about how games should be called. yes, refs make mistakes. they are only human. however, we can see the majority of their mistakes as falling into one of two categories: 1) a player commits a foul and the referee does not call it because he did not see it. 2) a referee calls a foul which did not exist (he therefore could not have seen it). in this case the referee is making the assumption that a foul was commited based on the circumstances (someone's on the ground, someone loses the ball, etc...) mistake number one is simple human error and understandable. the refs don't have eyes in the back of their heads and they can't be expected to keep track of every player at every moment. however, mistake number two is UNACCEPTABLE. i've never taken a course on refereeing, but page one of the manual should read ONLY CALL WHAT YOU ACTUALLY SEE... i see these types of bad calls in almost every sport, but basketball is by far the worst offender. i almost never see a bad call of the type two variety in the nfl. they might miss something now and then, but they never call something that didn't exist.

13. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

There's also a another type of foul in the NBA which is the star system. Superstars get all the calls. I don't think they ever called traveling on Patrick Ewing. And, there's that pushoff Jordan pulled in game 6 against the Jazz.

Although, Shaq is the hardest person to referee. All his moves could be considered offensive fouls. And, people defending him, are usually just hacking away.

14. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Matador, I'm in your same situation (having never undergone any referee training). I also believe that the second case you mentioned should not be allowed. I hope I didn't come off as suggesting it belongs in sports. But you gotta remember, it has a place in sports, and it had a place in sports back when the Lakers won their titles. I know you weren't one of them, but some fans would blame the officiating as the reason why the Lakers lost. Though, it may have been a part of it, we can't point our fingers in that direction and ignore other factors. I was just typing out my exasperation for them on here.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

As a Lakers fan, let me also congratulate the Pistons.  Of any other team in the NBA (other than the Lakers,) I could not hope for better, or more deserving, champions.  Ben Wallace has been a favorite of mine for a long time, and it is very nice to see how Larry Brown has been able to make him an offensive threat in addition to his being a powerful defensive presence.

The Pistons won the right way, the way the Lakers did in their first two trips to the finals in the recent three-peat - with a lot of talent and a lot of heart.  And I hope championship is an indication of a resurgent East.  The league would just be a lot more fun to watch.

Of course, I hope that somehow, a new, revamped Laker team will be able to stomp ass on the way to be championship this time next year.

16. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Formula for the Pistons' success: Great TEAMwork, a great teacher-coach, and great fans. On Thursday, more than one million people attended a rally/parade in downtown Detroit. Great fun was had by all. There were no incidents of unruly behavior. Larry Brown, by the way, wears suits from Freeds, a men's store in Windsor (Ontario, Canada) which is across the river from Detroit. At least so proclaims their newspaper ads.

Money does not buy a championship. We in Michigan know that all too well--the Redwings.

17. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

I agree... and I hope someone told the detested Yankees.

18. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

As a Celtics fan since the days of ML Carr and Cedric Maxwell, both the Lakers and the Pistons can get Deez Nutz. However, it is nice to see teamwork and hard work triumph over flash and attitude.

And while the officiating was spotty, does anyone really believe that it would have changed the outcome?

19. HRHAndrew

HRHAndrew Senior member

If he does, it was a special order and definately not something one could buy from the store. There was a time when Freeds carried some fine suits in there "custom shop," those days are long gone.

20. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Shaq is unhappy and wants to be traded, T-Mac is unhappy and wants to be traded -- does a trade between the Lakers and the Magic for these two players make perfect sense to anyone else (so long as the salary cap issues can be worked out)?  Kobe/T-Mac would make a great combo along the lines of Jordan/Pippen.