• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The ESPN 30 for 30 called "Broke" details this all out perfectly. Chris Rock's point is well taken, but my point was both parties are 99.9% richer than everyone watching. You've got a talent, you're getting exorbitantly paid for it, and you squander the money from it. Lots of people draw racist inferences from this dynamic. There's a reason owners are wealthy and players are rich. If you gave me Kenny Walker money, I'd be wealthy with it, no problem. It wouldn't involve gold earrings either.
Kevin Johnson on the radio this morning sounding every bit of a well oiled politician. If you think this situation isn't fantastic for his political ambitions, you're fooling yourself. KJ has now established closer ties to the new commissioner and lots of well liked players and then comes out a hero for making a few phone calls. Tell me he's not lapping this up:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10860848

Changing your points :rolleyes: And Gibonius' point still stands. He asked how random NBA players are gonna benefit from this and you responded w/ someone who retired 14 years ago. Leave your cynicism at the door.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Changing your points :rolleyes: And Gibonius' point still stands. He asked how random NBA players are gonna benefit from this and you responded w/ someone who retired 14 years ago. Leave your cynicism at the door.

They still get to **** lots of women and fly in private jets and I don't. They should consider themselves lucky!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

What I really want to know, are the measurements of the inside locker room and also if it's not too difficult, could silver put the sale on hold until my next paycheck

You would want measurements from inside the locker room. :rimshot:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How am I changing my point? I don't get it.

And I responded with KJ intentionally. I can post the tweets of 100 active players to satisfy you, but I thought KJ's interview elaborated my point much better. Spike Lee might just top it, though.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's a grantland podcast interview with Baron Davis.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=10856622

- interesting stuff:

- Baron has been really good friends with Kate Hudson since middle school
- He's from one of the worst parts of south central LA, but commuted everyday to his exclusive/progressive middle school/highschool
- he goes into depth about what happened during his tremulous stint with the LA Clippers (his hate for Mike Dunlevy and getting real about chris kaman)
- at the 46:30 mark he mentions how Donald Sterling would taunt his own players on court during games - calling him "bastard" or "the devil" - and how it actually affected him for the first time in his life playing basketball.
- His take on being there firsthand on the Knicks during Linsanity - (even refers to him as fast/athletic/and SNEAKY ) and why there was a backlash from even his own team.

Last edited:

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And I responded with KJ intentionally. I can post the tweets of 100 active players to satisfy you, but I thought KJ's interview elaborated my point much better. Spike Lee might just top it, though.

Uh because you went from "it's much more a socioeconomic disparity btwn the players and 99.99% of fans than between the owners and players," which I don't agree w/, to "players and owners are both richer than 99.9% of fans," which is totally different.

I don't know what the hell tweets of approval of Silver's decision have to do with profiting from this whole scenario, and neither do you. And if you responded w/ KJ intentionally that hardly qualifies as a response as it didn't have anything to do w/ his question. Done talking about this with you though.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Kevin Johnson on the radio this morning sounding every bit of a well oiled politician. If you think this situation isn't fantastic for his political ambitions, you're fooling yourself. KJ has now established closer ties to the new commissioner and lots of well liked players and then comes out a hero for making a few phone calls. Tell me he's not lapping this up:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10860848

So all the players who were pissed off (and ready to strike during the playoffs) have a political motivation or equivalent. Come on.

Some small number of current or former players might be making some hay here, but most are just legit upset.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Uh because you went from "it's much more a socioeconomic disparity btwn the players and 99.99% of fans than between the owners and players," which I don't agree w/, to "players and owners are both richer than 99.9% of fans," which is totally different.

I don't know what the hell tweets of approval of Silver's decision have to do with profiting from this whole scenario, and neither do you. And if you responded w/ KJ intentionally that hardly qualifies as a response as it didn't have anything to do w/ his question. Done talking about this with you though.

Good, because you make absolutely no sense.

So all the players who were pissed off (and ready to strike during the playoffs) have a political motivation or equivalent.

Come on.

I'm sure there was much less upset than there was "my fans are expecting me to say something" which ya, is politics.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is interesting.
Apparently Silver was considering a lesser penalty, but there was a very real threat of a player strike ... and then all the sponsors started coming in, too.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is interesting.
Apparently Silver was considering a lesser penalty, but there was a very real threat of a player strike ... and then all the sponsors started coming in, too.

Silver has said that he consulted with Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson (a former player), Union president Chris Pauls, rapper (and potential buyer) Rick Ross and L.A. Clippers coach Doc Rivers.

M-MM-MM Maybach Music to Silver's ears

http://www.complex.com/music/2011/06/rick-ross-soundboard

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
No way someone like Rick Ross has enough money.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So he consulted with "potential buyer" Rick Ross.

That's nice, but did he consult with the voice and conscience of Black America, Al Sharpton.

PS: No worries teger. Ross fronts for a huge consortium of international drug dealers, so money is no problem. AAMOF, they are interested in buying all 30 teams and making it a true hip hop league.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads