NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    he runs like a bear on ice skates. and both he and fish finish at the basket with a prayer. but boy does he play defense.

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Is it me or does Artest seem awkward/robotic simply running down the court - and train wreck when handling the ball when being guarded by anybody? I mean sh!t, he looks just as uncoordinated as I do when there is a defender on me, but my excuse is I suck.
    i'm inclined to believe that ron's play may be due to medication he's taking prescribed by his psychiatrist. it looks about right, he's sluggish, robotic movements, even his reactions seem out of sync. plus he has that "glassy" look in his eyes that i've seen with the heavily medicated in the psych wards.

3. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

i'm inclined to believe that ron's play may be due to medication he's taking prescribed by his psychiatrist. it looks about right, he's sluggish, even his reactions seem out of sync. plus he has that "glassy" look in his eyes that i've seen with the heavily medicated in the psych wards.

Seroquel!!

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

[​IMG]
    come on now... rondo is into all the super kewl things: roller skate dancing: [​IMG] being driven around in nascar cars: [​IMG] Levitation: [​IMG]

5. guster

guster Senior member

ok maybe "huge" is an exaggeration, but he's definitely a liability offensively much of the time - you wouldn't dare say that about any star PG in the league. Do you see how far off Kobe plays him when on D? It's like Rondo's not even there sometimes! I've never seen a defender sag off a guard that much in the NBA - and it presents a problem bc Kobe can just roam around getting blocks and steals, which seem to go up when he plays the celtics. I haven't even touched on his free throw shooting, which is horrendous, like it boggles my mind how a guard can be THAT bad. No way in hell would I ever say Nate > Rondo in any situation, but Nate isn't a PG. He's a ball hog shooting guard in a little man's body...the celtics don't really have a backup pg with the exception of delonte who's hurt.

I would like to see Rondo play w/o the big 3 - I'm inclined to think his all-world assist/rebounding numbers take a significant hit, as does his overall reputation as an elite PG.

I see your point. It depends on what you consider elite as well. Paul, Williams and Rose are outstanding scorers. I would think they have to be considered elite. Is elite only top couple of guys? I would say Rondo is one of the "top 5" pt guards in the league.

Again, there is so much more to the game of BB & winning championships than just scoring. Point guards need to run an offense, position guys on the floor, make passes to where guys are best positioned to shoot (They talked about that last year, - that Rondo has vastly improved in that aspect this year, a reason Allen's shooting % has gone up. Rondo used to get a lot of this criticism a few years ago.) and help dictate the flow of the offense, depending on what the defense is doing. At times Rondo is brilliant at all of these phases - even when it may not show up in the assist column. I think Doc Rivers actually worries more about this critical part of the NBA game more than his shooting.

Also watch defenses when it counts (playoffs). Rondos abilty to blow by anyone and his passing vision changes defenses. Sure Kobe will still play off Rondo the same in the playoffs. But watch the other defensive players, they have to play differently. Come on, the Celtics are not that great on offense. Perkins doesn't do much. Garnett has lost almost all his inside game. Allen can still occasionally create but we all know where his game is at. That leaves Pierce. And Pierce get's one on one defense way more than he should. NBA coaches are not stupid (well most anyway). Pierce gets that type of room because of things that happen before he ever even touches the ball. Not saying Rondo can change a game like Kobe can. The point is that there there are more subtle things that often go completely unnoticed - but they make a big difference in winning games games.

Also remember, great scoring point guards don't often add up to championships. Iverson is too easy of an example because he could never figure it out. Look at Isiah Thomas. Incredibly talented and was on some really good Detroit teams that could not win Thomas himself talked about how it took him a number of years to figure out that it wasn't just about scoring. he had to figure out the game and that education was the reason Detroit was able to finally break through. Take Wall - he is a great offensive talent. And Washington has more talent than they have shown. But that offense is one of the worst run in the league. A big reason their record is worse than it should be.

I have not seen a lot of the Bulls this year. The team had some talent last year. I do wonder if there chances of going further in playoffs are a big result of Rose maturing as a point guard?

6. guster

guster Senior member

i'm inclined to believe that ron's play may be due to medication he's taking prescribed by his psychiatrist. it looks about right, he's sluggish, robotic movements, even his reactions seem out of sync. plus he has that "glassy" look in his eyes that i've seen with the heavily medicated in the psych wards.

It could be that or it could be crack.

Seriously, could it be that he is incredibly selfish and self centered (even for a NBA player) and things are not going they way he has to have them? Like most of his career.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

come on now... rondo is into all the super kewl things:

roller skate dancing:

[​IMG]

being driven around in nascar cars:

[​IMG]

Levitation:

[​IMG]

You forgot this one, where he was a member of the R&B group Danity Kane.
    [​IMG]

8. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Which was one was a sucka for love?

9. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

You forgot this one, where he was a member of the R&B group Danity Kane.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 2nd from right?

didn't Rondo also come on last season's Real World? Has anyone ever seen "Preston" and Rajon Rondo in a room at the same time?

[​IMG]

10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

thats actually a great fit pic for an NBA player in a suit:

[​IMG]

11. guster

guster Senior member

didn't Rondo also come on last season's Real World? Has anyone ever seen "Preston" and Rajon Rondo in a room at the same time?

[​IMG][/quote]

That is great. But I think Preston shoots the 15 foot jumper better than Rondo. We Know he has to be a better free throw shooter.

12. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Shannon Brown just threw down a NAAASTY alley oop dunk.

13. venessian

venessian Senior member

Shannon Brown just threw down a NAAASTY alley oop dunk.

All in a regular half's work for ShannOn. Guy is just insane up there.

14. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Proud of the Suns pulling out a win in Utah last night, with all the high emotions going on in the Jazz organization.

Suns finally having a winning record since... well all season.

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

fucking Heat cannot beat the Celtics this season [​IMG]