1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Robinson went out with a season ending injury that year before Duncan

2. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

David Robinson got injured the year SA went 21-61 and didn't play most of the year. Rumor was that SA kept him on the IR even though he was healthy the last month of the season to improve their odds of getting Tim since they weren't making the playoffs that year. SA didn't tank like Philly is doing right now which is pretty blatant by trading away all of their NBA caliber players. They more just realized that the season was lost and decided against putting the best team on the court once they were unlikely to make the playoffs.

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

It is really simple why the Sixers is getting the bad rep of tanking, they practically gave away all their good players and practically all within one season. It looked like they were collecting picks there for a second, I don't recall but didn't they have a stack of like 7-9 draft picks there for a second? It also coincided with what many dubbed one of the deepest draft years there is. Many probably disagrees with that now (the draft year being deep and really talented) but I can't blame people for seeing all those things and putting it all together as suspicious.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I said prove it and I get rumor.

5. diadem

diadem Senior member

That's not the point I'm trying to make. Maybe my post wasn't worded well. I'm saying SA is a dynasty now because they got 2 first-overall draft picks within the span of a decade. Whether they got those picks through tanking or legitimately sucking makes no difference now. The point is they got the picks and used them well. Obviously high draft picks are valuable and are key to improving your team. How a front office goes about acquiring those draft picks is really just splitting hairs, but legitimately sucking takes longer than tanking. Might as well speed up the process if you have to be bad to get good. That's what I meant when I said the Spurs are the blueprint for tanking.

Anyway, it's impossible to prove some motive from 1989.

Yeah, but once he went down, it's not implausible to think that the team just decided to mail it in for the rest of that season. Obviously I'm just guessing, but that's what makes sense to me.

That can still be considered tanking if The Admiral was 100% healthy and was held out of games. Obviously a lesser form of tanking than what Philly is doing now, but still.

Nothing is suspicious about that. They didn't try to hide it. The Philly front office just thinks this is the easiest way to build a good team (and it basically is since high-profile free agents don't give a shit about coming to Philly). Until the system is changed, tanking is a legitimate strategy and, honestly, I prefer it to a team being mediocre (too good to get a high draft pick and too bad to make the playoffs) for a prolonged stretch of time.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  6. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Pau : Mirotic :: Rose : Brooks

:slayer: :slayer:

Now, let's see if Kobe gon go HAM to get those 30 points....actually, you know he ain't passing that ball until he passes MJ

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I used the word suspicious to describe why others would think that way to avoid implying that I am 100% sure (with evidence) that they are indeed tanking. I have not stated which side of the argument I am on (at least i don't think so?) despite my countless jokes and jabs at the Sixers.

8. diadem

diadem Senior member

Yeah, I wasn't trying to shove TANKING IS GOOD in your face or anything. Just found your use of the word 'suspicious' interesting. Like, they're not working any loopholes or stuff along those lines, which is what I thought you were getting at with 'suspicious'.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Kobe talking shit must have worked. :lol:

*knocks on wood*

10. Neo_Version 7

11. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Unfortunately.

Who the hell is Swaggy P?

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I think tonight was the first time I legitimately felt bad for Lin.

Gets put in the game in the last possession, you get the ball and a few second left, great defense so you can't shoot and pass to Swaggy P and make an impossible 3.

What does Kobe do? Get on Lins face, yell at him with ferocity and then smack you upside your head while the rest of the team celebrates and congratulates Swaggy P on the side. :lol:

13. Neo_Version 7

14. jet

jet Senior member

swaggy baby swaggy

15. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

nick young gonna start taking all of kobe's missed crunchtime shots now?

lakers honestly have no reason not to tank to a top-5 pick. any lower and they lose it to phoenix. they're tied for the 7th-worst record now. they have plenty of time to make it up, but none of the teams worse than them are gonna make that easy.

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

NBA needs a relegation system. All this talk about tanking is so very douche.

17. diadem

diadem Senior member

[​IMG]

Anyway, good luck with that. Neither the players nor the owners would want relegation. The owners hate it because of the potential of decreased revenue if their team is relegated to some B division and the players don't like it because nobody wants to start their career in some minor league (that's basically the purpose that college ball serves now) or have the prospect of being relegated hanging over their heads. Adam Silver can't just say they're implementing a relegation system. It has to be worked into the next CBA, which has to be agreed upon by all parties. Mark Cuban's comments about developing the D-League were pretty interesting, but we're still a long way from seeing something like that come to fruition.

I'm sure the draft system will be re-worked at some point, but relegation will never see the light of day in the NBA (or any of the other big 4 American professional sports leagues).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Bullshit... players getting paid in a 2nd division trumps college ball.

This is all about owners.

19. diadem

diadem Senior member

I think you misunderstood me, but essentially we're on the same page. Players would be ok with either 1 year in college OR a 2nd division, but not both. Relegation can't simply be introduced on top of the current system of players having to play one year in college at minimum before they can enter the draft. They lose too much earnings potential in that situation.

But either way, you're not getting your wish of relegation because it'll never make it into a CBA with all the resistance it faces. Keep white-knighting, though.

20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Correct, I never made mention of college. A system akin to European football (even basketball) with academy systems are what I mean.

Funny how much American's love to talk capitalism, but European leagues are the ones that resemble it much more. You can't suck your way to success in the Premier League. You'll get handed your ass.