1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

i don't want to go through the numbers myself (bleh) but it looks like they broke each player's careers into two phases to show the disparity btwn ft% in the 1st part and the 2nd part. that would seem to cherrypick to show bigger improvements more than consistent gradual improvement. but either way only several players have been shown to be able to increase their % from poor to good, and nobody from even close to the depths of drummond or deandre.

bottom line: i don't think it's fair to say that they could become acceptable (65 and up) shooters if they just worked hard at it. i think w/ hard work it's possible they get good at it, but very unlikely, and you need a lot of luck in addition to that practice.

yea i agree w/ this. intuitively it makes sense to me that bigger guys w/ bigger hands would be worse at it, but that wouldn't explain like a 20-30% decrease in ft performance in games (extrapolating from dwight). i think the avg player drops like 10% or so though; i guess it's just that much in their heads.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Mitch's comments on "buy your tickets now" sound like this contract will be Kobe's last. Can anyone argue with Magic that the Lakers really shouldn't be winning these games such as last night's over the Kings?

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I don't know, what does that even mean? It's not so unusual that a regular season NBA game ends up seeming like episode of Shitty and Shittier. If by they "shouldn't" have won Magic means that the Lakers suck and will lose more games than they'll win playing at that level, then fine. But last time I checked the team with the most points -- or the not-least points -- gets the win. It's as meaningless a statement as saying both teams "should" have won a well-played, hard-fought, double overtime win. Nice sentiment, but that's not how it works. Part of what makes it interesting is that both teams can play wonderfully, or both can play like utter shit, and there's still going to be a winner and a loser.

4. Kid Nickels

I didn't flesh out entirely what I meant but Mitch apparently suggested fans "get their tickets now" to see Kobe play and apparently affirmed or at least strongly suggested that he won't be coming back to the Lakers after next year. So basically, if they keep pulling out wins like this (given we all agree this season is already a loss and ostensibly over before it began) doesn't each win take them one step further from a better draft pick? Why battle to end up in the middle of the pack? idk, just wondering what Mitch's somewhat elliptical statement means and what's in Kobe's future.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Ah, makes sense. I was just interpreting the "shouldn't" comment in the sense of not "deserving" to win.

1 person likes this.
  6. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

The good old days

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i don't know ... i think the whole "tanking" thing is mostly another ginned-up controversy from the fans. granted, when you're having a really shitty season and the other team gets a lead, it's easy to let up. but the idea that teams go out intentionally to lose, i think, is wrong. every good athlete i've ever known has been crazy competitive. Even if winning the game isn't the goal, beating the guy opposite them is. I don't think they can turn that on and off at will.

1 person likes this.
  8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Eh, if Jordan were white he'd be just another player. /Isiah/

1 person likes this.
  9. Kid Nickels

My goodness… the Warriors are 19-2.

3 people like this.
  10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^Curry is on some NBA 2k15 cheat code ish. their offense is so fun to watch and their defense makes me feel bad for the other team. also draymond green should start even with dlee back

one of the biggest reasons drummond doesnt shoot many free throws is because i dont think they use him much in the fourth quarter. josh smith and greg monroe aren't great FT shooters themselves, but they're better than drummond

i dont think its about the number of free throws you shoot, but the quality of free throws. if you have bad mechanics repeating the bad mechanics isnt going to help

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. Brothersport

harden played his ass off in this game and had nothing left at the end. played well but he's playing w/ nick johnson and jason terry and tarik black while the warriors are running out so many good players. apparently harden was even playing really really good D earlier on. probably wanted to prove something against klay.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

harden's improvement on defense is like a big going from 50% to 65% FT shooting

13. Brothersport

that's pretty accurate i'd say. i was just talking about this game though

14. Kid Nickels

Jeanie Buss being a complete idiot on NPR in LA right now. Ugh… Dr. B rolling over in his grave.

15. Neo_Version 7

She still spewing that "Anyone who doesn't want to play with us is a LOSER!" bile? :lol:

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

The sad thing is that she seems to be the smart kid in the family.

1 person likes this.
  17. wojt

wojt Senior member

I agree, however talent wins games. If you significant talent gap you will lose majority of games even if all your players go out there and compete every night. So tanking is more on GM than on the players- example you trade all your valuable players for draft picks and sign 6 rookies.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  18. Neo_Version 7

[​IMG]

Nick Young doing his best Rocket Raccoon impression :happy:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  19. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

exactly.

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Has Mr. Bresnahan not been around basketball courts much in his life? That counts as "epic trash talk"? Somewhere Gary Payton is weeping.