1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

As breathtakingly bad as the Lakers look most nights, they would still be in contention for a playoff spot in the East. 4-0 against the East, 1-13 against the West. Looking forward to the post-game handshake between Kobe and Derek Fisher.

Really loving the Warriors ability to win when they play poorly. As for the question earlier, maybe he thought Curry would cross him over.

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

:lol:

[​IMG]

LA BABY LA!!!!

1 person likes this.
  3. jet

jet Senior member

4. diadem

diadem Senior member

He basically nailed it except he probably could've shoehorned a shoutout to idfnl in there somewhere and how Neo is the first person to shit on him and then the rest of us follow suit.

On a side note, I never thought I'd see Mirza Teletovic put up a 26-15 line against Tim Duncan.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

NBA player's heights are wonky:

Dwight howard is 6'9" without shoes..... but he has a 7'4.5" wingspan: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dwight-Howard-2888/

[​IMG]

chanlder parson's is basically as tall as dwight howard.... http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chandler-Parsons-5050/

you'd think that wingspan and vertical leap are better indicators of actual height and play in regards to bigger front line players, but then you have blake griffin who has somewhat pedestrian stats in regards to wingspan/height w/o shoes/vertical leap but he's a human highlight show.... and miles plumlee is can still be an awkward mess out there...he's 6'10.5"/7'1" wingspan/40.5" vertical leap.. damn a 40.5 vertical leap?!

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Miles-Plumlee-5261/

1 person likes this.
  6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

:embar:

7. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

there's a really contrarian espn columnist, i think ethan strauss? who always talks about wingspan and how it's going to eternally limit blake from being a great defensive player. i don't know if i'd go that far but i probably buy that length has a bigger impact on defense than on offense.

i watched 4 years of miles plumlee at duke lol. he's just not great at basketball. really quick, fluid, super (vertically) explosive athlete though. there's videos of him doing dunks in practice that are pretty top-tier for big guys. mason plumlee is also really athletic but very robotic at doing it...he's similarly athletic but in a totally different way. really weird. they also look nothing alike. their younger brother (still at duke) isn't good, and he looks even weirder.

lol remember shelden williams??? guy was undersized at 6'8.5" in shoes enough, but then it was actually part of his scouting report somewhere that that was inflated because...of his GIANT head. seriously that guy's head is like 2 feet big and weighed 50 pounds. his shoulders are probably at the height of the average point guard's.

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Why are you guys so fascinated with Plumlee? He has to be one of the most discussed players on this thread :confused:

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

But is Kawhi worth a max contract?

10. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I'm more interested in proper shooting form. And the 3-point % of Kevin Durant in 2008-2011

11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

LOLOLOLOLOLOL:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm personally enamored by him because last year I picked Miles Plumlee in my fantasy team on a whim. I then looked him up on draft kings and saw his amazing raw athletic numbers [7footer with 40.5" vertical leap?! ] and two months later finally watched a Phoenix Suns game on cable and was confused to where he was ....only to realize, "what the fuck? this awkward white guy is Miles Plumlee?!" Yup I thought he was black for two months because of his draft express stats...

which then lead to me researching other players only to realize that players like Blake Griffen have somewhat average numbers (short arms, only above average max vertical leap height, ect) when you'd think they'd have like 40+" vertical leaps...

there's that story about boris diaw they were telling in the finals last year about how he did the vertical leap tests for fun and had a higher vertical leap than prime sean marion and even Amare... he did the vertical leap tests after practice and barefoot too... :laugh:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11084748/boris-diaw-dishes-san-antonio-spurs

2 people like this.
  12. Brothersport

i really don't know how those vertical leap tests correlate with actual in-game athleticism. some of em have super weird results. like marion makes a bit of sense cuz he was always a quick leaper, rather than a high leaper, but i'd expect griffin to have a huge vertical. maybe his running one is just a lot higher.

btw the knicks play cleveland today so i'm excited for an ny win and for ed to come in here and talk up the triangle ;)

13. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I always thought the Plumlee brothers were black also until I saw them on TV so LMD isn't the only one.

14. StyleforumRobot

StyleforumRobot Senior member Moderator

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

miles and mason plumlee also sound like african american names so they join Khalil Greene in the "wait he's white?" all stars.

16. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Closer and closer every day.

17. Brothersport

watched about a half of nyk-cle today, lebron doesn't look close to the same. looks super slow on defense, people blowing by him and not even contesting shots. still having tremendous trouble on O around the rim, probably from not being able to deal w/ all the lost weight. even turned the ball over from indecision on a 4 on 2 where calderon and melo were the defenders, what in the world. i'd chalk it up to being early in the season, but a lot of smart analysts say his D slipped a lottt 2nd half of last season. we'll see, but he might just have too many miles to be the same player he once was. maybe he just has to figure out how to play while slimmed down. disclaimer: i haven't watched nearly as much lbj this year as in the past.

18. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

And does Kyrie look like the oldest 22 year old in the league or is it just me? I swear, dude looks older than Paul Pierce

19. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Why don't the Pelicans feed Davis the ball more?

20. Brothersport

pierce gonna have the last laugh when his puberty finally finishes and he can fill in those spots on his beard

you can't feed somebody the ball when tyreke evans is dribbling it for 20 seconds each possession