1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. diadem

diadem Senior member

Still pulled out the 21-point win. Turkey's P&R offense was pretty potent through the first half and halfway through the 3rd. Once Team USA started clogging the passing lanes, it was over for Turkey. Say what you want about Harden's defense, but he's been doing pretty well generating steals so far this tournament. Anthony Davis just went off in the 2nd half and Kenneth Faried played well throughout. That steal on Omer Asik and subsequent dunk was laughably bad on Asik's part.

2. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

Anthony Davis is a ridiculous monster. He's insane. Seriously, just throw it up anywhere and he'll complete the alley oop.

There's a vine of Harden tooooootally falling asleep on D for an open corner 3, which is really embarrassing, but I don't think it's representative of his D as a whole. It's not great by any means, or even good, but @diadem I agree w/ you that he's at least making an effort to steal the ball a bunch.

A lot of Turkey's crazy offense was FTs (USA reaches and grabs way too much) and 3s (they hit tons and tons of open 3s in the 2nd q and early 3rd), which were bound to regress.

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The US drew a sweetheart of a bracket, they shouldn't be tested until the knockout rounds. If they don't take care of business here, well...

No fun surprises in the group stages so far, unless you count Croatia nearly losing to the Philippines in OT

4. diadem

diadem Senior member

Well, Andray Blatche plays for the Philippines [​IMG]

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

That was an entertaining story of how he got there, if you haven't read it

Anyway, I'm watching the rerun of the Turkey game. As many of us said here, if AD is a beast then we're just fine. If he plays poorly or if they forget about him, this is a deficient team. Also interesting to see Mike K get out coached for almost three whole quarters

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

If they are relying on Faried and Davis to win, they will be screwed once they face Spain with the Gasol Bros and Ibaka.

7. wojt

wojt Senior member

8. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

screwed is a bit much. it will be a tough matchup, sure. but spain for some reason doesn't play ibaka that much, and anthony davis is just as good as marc is in fiba ball i think. ridiculous at blocks, improved at overall defense, and really smooth on offense. marc doesn't really have the power game to take full advantage of davis' small frame anyway. pau will be able to score easily on faried, but faried can blow by pau 24/7 and is a much better rebounder now too.

i think the matchup would be a toss-up or so.

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

That dribble pull up game ain't gonna get it done against the zone, that's for sure. What's so suprising is that we all know Kryziewski knows better, and the players know better...but they couldn't help themselves.

10. diadem

diadem Senior member

Not sure why everyone is on Spain's jock this tournament (not even talking about the people in this thread, just in general from what I'm reading from various sportswriters online and shit)...their one strength is their frontcourt and they can only play 2 of their 3 best players at any one time (Ibaka and the Gasol brothers). Their backcourt is trash (except for maybe Rudy Fernandez) and will not be able to stay in front of any of Team USA's guards on defense. Spain's supposed saving grace, the 2-3 zone, only works if the opposing team is missing outside shots. Steph Curry is only shooting about 30% from 3 so far in group play, but there's no way he stays that cold over the whole tournament. Harden, Thompson, and Curry are basically textbook zone busters with their perimeter shooting. Also, offensive rebounding plays a big role in beating the zone since the zone defenders don't have clear-cut box-out assignments (this is where Faried, Davis, and Plumlee excel).

Bottom line is Team USA's roster as a whole is much deeper than Spain's roster and the Americans are still the favorites to win gold. Only Spain's top 4 or 5 players can hang with the Team USA for any prolonged stretch of game-time. I wouldn't be surprised if Coach K sends Boogie Cousins in early and they get him the ball down on the block for a bunch of possessions. Get him going in the post and maybe get one of the Gasols in foul trouble early. Spain's gameplan kind of unravels a bit if one of their quality bigs is stuck on the bench for any extended amount of time.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

durrr

12. diadem

diadem Senior member

So you're agreeing with me even though you think Team USA relies way too much on Faried and Davis...that makes no sense. How are they screwed if Davis and Faried don't produce when they have the deepest roster in the tournament? This was the whole point of Coach K bringing 5 bigs to the tournament this time around.

EDIT: never mind, you said if. It was HRoi who said that. Carry on. Still, though, I see a lot of people saying Spain are the favorites and it amuses me.

13. wojt

wojt Senior member

Their backcourt is not trash. Rubio, Navarro and Calderon Fernandez are NBA caliber players, though only Rubio is on par with team USA players. BUt this backcourt is really enough to beat USA. Not saying Spain are favorites but it wouldn't be surprising if Spain wins this. I'd give it 50-50. Sure USA has overall better talent, but this is not the first time Spain team has played together and they have veteran players which evens up the chances.

14. diadem

diadem Senior member

Rubio doesn't even start for Spain and the scouting report on him is simple -- he can't shoot (never cracked 40% in the NBA or the Euroleague), lacks quickness, and is a one-trick pony with his passing. Navarro is a dinosaur at 34 and will get burned one-on-one against any of Team USA's guards, allowing easy dribble penetration and drive-and-kick opportunities. I know he and Fernandez are technically NBA-caliber, but the last time Navarro and Fernandez played in the NBA was 2008 and 2012, respectively. Euroleague competition just doesn't compare. I don't think these guys are bad at basketball, but everything is relative, and in comparison to Team USA's backcourt, yes, I'm sticking with trash, at least when talking about Navarro (Fernandez I already conceded is a good player, although not an All-Star, and he's facing 4 in Irving, Rose, Curry, and Harden...5 if you count DeMar DeRozan, although not sure how much playing time he'll get). I think Spain does have the ability to keep things close like they did in 2012 because of their continuity and their chemistry, but against guys who are used to playing 48-minute games and who can shoot from 3 or 4 feet behind the FIBA 3-point line, I'm not putting money on Spain any time soon (assuming Spain makes it to the gold medal game...they still have a much tougher road to the final than USA does).

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

to be clear, I'm not saying Spain are the favorites either. the US still has the most talent, but then again, they always have. but yes, I am saying that they will have problems if Davis doesn't play well or can't stay on the floor. the Turkey game is a perfect example. the US can't rely on pass-dribble-jack contested shot offense. with Davis in the late game, and also Faried, they had a paint presence. ideally they have that paint presence plus a pick/roll and drive and kick game (Rose, Harden, Curry, this is why you're on the team) - that US team will be unstoppable.

I do agree that they should see if they can establish Boogie down low though. ideally he can fill the Marc Gasol role on Spain/the Grizzlies, but I don't know if he's a good enough passer

16. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

17. wojt

wojt Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

it all points towards a usa spain finals, it don't seem like a challenge for either team to go by other teams so far

18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

17 yo, 7' 0". Coming to an NBA near you.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  19. jet

jet Senior member

yawn inducing

20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Asshole inducing.

1 person likes this.