1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Lol I don't even know who Quincy Acy is

2. wojt

wojt Senior member

I thought it was Acie Law but apparently it is someone else :rotflmao:
    Quincy Acy sounds cool though I like his name, it's very soft and melodic

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  3. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

they needed to move a guard (ellington) and a big (tyler), as they have too many players there. I doubt Outlaw stays with the team, if he does he'll be so deep in the bench that you'll never really see him on camera. Acy wil provide some hustle/defense for the second unit, something we don't have. So not a earth shattering trade but it addressed a need the Knicks had. As someone else said. "this was an odorless fart of a trade". Although, I did like Tyler. He has a nice offensive game in the paint area, but he is a hot head, picks up fouls like they are 80% off and needs to be within 10ft to shoot so not really a triangle player. On the right team that can keep his head in the right place (and get him to lose some weight), he would be a good off the bench big for some offense. He's also still young (23 I think).

4. edmorel

look up a video of Acy rejecting a Dwight Howard dunk, that alone should keep him in the NBA.

5. wojt

wojt Senior member

I don't know just looked up the guy and looks like 6'7 guy with not enough ball skills to play SF and no post skills to be a PF, not very impressed

6. edmorel

Think Reggie Evans. Not going to take you over the hump, but definitely a useful bench piece. Plus he brings the beard.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Golden state should do it. Iguodala as a 2, green as a 3, love at 4, Bogut at 5. Festus as back up 5 (and love can play a 5 in smaller lineups). Speights as back up 4 and 5. Brandon rush back up 2 and 3. Livingston as backup 1. Curry can also play off ball as a 2. Their defense is pretty good and it's not like David lee and klay are defensive monsters. Really average at best, klay a little above average. Love is definitely a better shooter than klay on and off the ball

Assuming Barnes is in the deal

1 person likes this.
  9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Cleveland projects to have a nice starting 5 with Kyrie, Waiters, James, Lovr and Varejao. I couldn't name a single bench player for them after Tristan Thompson, though. Did they sign Mike Miller?

10. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

Yea they did. James Jones too haha. LBJ might be exec of the year if he didn't have such a mancrush on James Jones. I have no idea who else is on that team...is Alonzo Gee still there? Jamario Moon! (lol)

This is honestly a really good get for the Wolves. I think CLE had to make that trade in the end, but I find it odd that they gave up so much, considering they had most of the leverage.

Btw Woj reported that CLE wouldn't have enough cap room to sign Love outright next offseason, which pretty much jives w/ what I tried to amateurly calculate.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

How does that work? They have cap room to trade but not enough to sign him? They couldn't trade away Bennett and varejao and Thompson or something for draft picks and still get love?

12. wojt

wojt Senior member

He's getting "only" 15m this season but he would only extend/sign for max next season. Cavs won't have cap room for that coz you cannot sign player over the salary cap unless you own his bird rights which Cleveland would obtain by this trade.

1 person likes this.
  13. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Klay is a pretty good defensive player and has to spend a lot of energy chasing around the other team's best guard or wing player to save Curry from having to do so. I like Iggy but he's not getting any younger and hasn't been bulletproof healthwise to date. Klay is worth a max deal at current levels particularly given the expected changes in the cap which won't come into play until after he's re-signed. Livingston obviously has had health problems as well. Dramond Green is better than people realize - the Twolves should take him, Lee and Barnes and call it a day. I think the Warriors give up too much perimeter defense if we give up Klay.

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Lots of veterans are now showing interest in joining the Cavs as usual, there's still Ray Allen, Marion is still "deciding" and Billups said he'd love to play in Cleveland.

The Cavs won't have a hard time getting veterans that can still produce or defend off the bench.

15. Brothersport

it's mainly cuz kyrie's contract is going up to 15M after next season. so if you look here: http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/cavaliers.jsp
    in 2015-16, lbj is getting 21.6M, kyrie is getting 14.7M, wiggins is getting 5.7M. That's already 42, and Love will make around 20M in his 1st year. That's 62, and you need roster space for like 7 other guys and still need to get under the cap. Minimum salary is around 900K or so, for 2nd rders and undrafted FAs. The cap next year is supposed to be ~63M, and nobody knows how much it's going to jump after that.

I'm probably missing something but I don't really think it's possible.

I like Klay on D and Iggy/Livingston have certainly had health issues, but they're still two great PG defending options, I think that's more than enough to make up for Curry. Draymond is pretty great too. But are you saying that Minny should take the Draymond/Lee/Barnes package over Wiggins?

16. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

but then how can they afford love at all? $15 m for kyrie, $20 mil for bron, $20 mill for love is already $55. need 12 other players at $800k or so and that puts you at $64.6 mil. can't afford varejao, can't afford waiters, can't afford thompson

livingston played almost all the games in brooklyn last year. no health problems at all.

klay's defense is overrated. he's a little above average. 38th in defensive win shares, but 300th something in defensive rating. he's good at mirroring the other guy and his wingspan and size is a big advantage when guarding point guards but he tends to run smack dab into the screen and doesn't have a great feel yet for ICE. he also gets caught reaching a lot, but he's going to get there. he's a max player only because there's a dearth of young 2 way 2 guards. too many young 2 guards that are below average in defense. just being a little bit better than average defense gets you max as a 2 guard

[​IMG]

warriors defense actually slightly better with him off court

this is kevin love

[​IMG]

wolves about the same on defense on or off court

warriors have enough perimeter defense without klay. their defense was really good last year but offense was pretty stagnant. it would more often than not end up in a curry, klay, or barnes iso. think of all the open shots love and curry would generate just by being on the floor

no way wolves only take green, lee, and barnes when cavs are offering wiggins, bennett, and a future pick.

the thing is i feel like warriors front office really overestimates the value of their own players that other teams give them. they think lee and green and barnes and klay are a lot better than what other teams give them credit for

17. Brothersport

do you mean this coming year, or the year after that? this coming year (14-15) kyrie's only making 7, and love is making 15. The year after that, who knows what's going to happen. Hopefully for the Cavs they can get rid of Tristan Thompson, who's making 7. But overall, they would be going over the cap and potentially paying luxury tax. That's allowed, since you're allowed to go over the tax to resign your own guys.

That's the essence of what wojt was saying: you can't go over the cap to sign a FA like love. But if you trade for him, you can then go over the cap as much as you want to resign him to a new contract.

is that what you're asking?

18. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i meant 2015-2016 when kyrie's contract comes in place especially but also the years after. yes that's what i was asking. i thought the cap jump takes place in 2016? is that the 2015-2016 season or the 2016-2017 season?

but i see what you're saying

I thought this was really fun. tells you where the rebounds are taken given the position of a shot. looks like generally you want to stay on the other side of the basket and further away depending on how far the shot is taken

http://courtvisionanalytics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/rebounds1.swf

the thing is i highly doubt lacob wants to go over the luxury tax limit.

1 person likes this.
  19. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

SF: Grantland Edition

2 people like this.
  20. wojt

wojt Senior member

well it's hard to stay in front of players these days and guards get exposed the most
    I like Klay especially that tandem with Curry, not sure I'd want to give him up. Not because Love isn't better but if you flip them your team don't get that much better. If they want to be in contention they would have to keep Klay and get Love imo, so maybe that move makes more sense for Cavs since it could get warriors not much closer than they already are.