NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Except it was the Knicks that initiated the trade talks with the Clips according to that article, not the other way around. It even stated there that the Knicks targetted the Clips specifically because Melo and CP3 have been wanting to play together for years now so that was their selling point.

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

:lol: They're not even going to make the playoffs if they keep up this play.

And even if they make the playoffs, they'll be in the bottom and bound to face Indiana or Miami anyways unless they can make it in the top 4 of the East, which is not going to happen this year.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  3. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Really? Becuase according to ESPN that was not the case:

"ESPN reported Friday night that both the Knicks and Clippers have had internal discussions about an Anthony-for-Griffin swap, but neither has proposed the deal to the other. One source close to the situation said the Clippers' latest internal discussion ended in favor of keeping Griffin."

Anyway, the only way Dolan trades Melo is if Melo comes to him and tells him that he is not resigning and I just don't see how Melo gives up $30mln to sign somewhere else.

4. edmorel

If they win the east they are automatically the 4th seed. Indiana they can handle in a playoff series, Miami they have not figured out yet.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

What do you mean if they wint he east they are automatic 4th seed? They are even last in their division. :lol:

And at NY handling Indiana. :crackup:

Also from an ESPN article: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...griffin-proposal-mulled?ex_cid=espnapi_public

6. edmorel

Yeah, it doesn't say that they have approached the Clippers. I would hope that they are considering the possibilty that Melo does not resign and are thinking of all available options but that is a bit of forward thinking that Knicks management does not typically partake in.

Why do you think NY would not present a challange to the Pacers? The only game they have played this season, the Knicks won it but for that "foul" on Paul at the end of the game. The Knicks were also playing without Chandler, Felton, Stat. I am obviously a Knicks fanboy so I always look at the glass half full but I don't know if any other team in the league has lost more time to player injuries than the Knicks. They still have not played one game with their original starting five since maybe the second or third game of the season. I'm no Woodson fan and I'll be the first to point out Melo's weaknesses but I think the real Knicks are the team that played the last three games in Texas, not the team that played the prior 30 or whatever games. And they are still not 100% but when they do (assuming they get 100%) and Woodson figures out a rotation that involves less Smith and more Shumpert/Hardaway, I don't see why the Knicks beating the Pacers is such a stretch.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Because the Pacers are a much, much better team this year and the Knicks sucks extra badly. Without a sober JR Smith who is trying to get a big contract, he just isn't motivated to play well. I mean their record speaks for themselves.

At least the Nets has an excuse with all their injuries, the Knicks is just plain terrible. Have you seen those last second shots that they shouldn't have taken? I mean come on, there is no excuse for it. And it happened twice now.

A loss is a loss no matter how you look at it, that's like saying "the Spurs beat the Heat in the Finals outside of the terrible rebounding in the final second and Ray Allens 3." The Pacers has taken their team to a whole another level this year, they are simply much better, they know each other more, they added Scola and Granger is back. This team is good and probably second best in the whole league right now with Westbrook being out.

And I get it that they haven't played with their starting 5 for majority of the year but that doesn't change that they are a bad team right now. Hell the Lakers, who is depleted a hell has a better record in a much loaded conference than the Knicks, it's not even a comparison on which team has more injured players. Nets has bigger stars out but they manage to win games here and there and still slightly better than the Knicks.

Face it, the Knicks are terrible. I'm a huge Laker fan as everyone knows but I know when the team sucks and the current roster are the worst Lakers I have ever seen in my entire life.

The way you are talking, it isn't even as if the Knicks might beat the Pacers, it's almost you are sure they can beat them in a 7 game series which I do not even know how one can fathom it at this point.

8. edmorel

Well, all our questions will be answered over the next 50 games, I just like putting my money where my mouth is rather than coming on here later on and jumping on any bandwagons. I think the Knicks will surprise a lot of people who have not been following them, their record is not a good indication of this team so far but again, the proof will be in the next 50 game pudding.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I think most here know you're a Knicks fan by now.

I just do not see them getting any better and with Melo not saying if he will resign or not, that just puts doubts in his teammates. I'd be very surprised if they make a good run that will get them in the top 4 in the East, I really am. The East is terrible so I can give them a pass for making the playoffs but to be in the top 4, I just don't see it.

They need another Linsanity or JR Smith going off to really get them going and good to great teams just doesn't need that to win. Look at the Spurs, Miami and OKC, they win because they are good teams and when someone is hurt, they still find ways to win.

That is my main concern with the Clips, great team on paper but they are just too young and immature and once their star is down they have a hard time finding ways to score, especially if it's CP3.

10. edmorel

I don't follow the Clips or the west teams that much so I don't really have strong opinions on any team but I do think they would benefit from having a bonafide go to scorer that Paul can play with. I haven't see a lot of Griffin but I do like his game, I just don't think he is at the point in his offensive skillset yet where he can carry a team through a playoff series.

And since everyone loves hearing about the Knicks..................... Two last points. Bargnani, whom most people have labeled as a huge flop, is actually playing very well for the Knicks. He (and Woodson) have still not figured out correctly his place in the offense (too many 3's, not enough mid range shots and drives to the basket) and he still occasionally gets lost in the defense but 1 on 1, he plays terrific defense against bigs (outplayed Drummond, Howard etc) and he has a great mid range game. Second, contrary to popular belief, Stats is not dead. He may be one injury away from career death but right now, he is a very solid 6/7th man giving them like 15+ PPG recently and very active inside. Thats obviously not worth 25mln a year but that is a great weapon to have coming off the bench. If Woodson can ever get these guys to play together.....................

Anyway, enough from me on this threak, I'l hibernate now for the next 25 games.

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Griffin can't carry a team by himself but he has improved. He is sinking jumpshots with consistency this year, I believe he has jumped from low 30s %wise to mid 40s and he is making more and more of his free throws. He was shooting about 50%-60% in the line to begin the season but the last month or so, I think he might be in the mid to high 70s?

He just needs more finesse on the post and maybe a bit more defensive smarts, which he'll learn and get from Rivers.

Despite all that, it's difficult to see him carrying the team to the Finals by himself. The next 6 weeks will be a huge test as CP3 is expected to miss that much time so we'll see.

As for Amare, he is still averaging 9/4 for the season, I mean he's always been notorious for being a big athletic man that can't rebound and I have seen a handful of Knicks games and dude hasn't done much. He's had a few 20pt games lately but it still ends in a loss and he is still a big deficiency on defense.

12. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Nah, I meant Gasol. Obviously he is still a good player, that is not what I meant. He and MD have seemed to have a ton of problems and he is in the last year of his contract on a team that has zero hope of making the playoffs. I just was saying from a cost saving/tanking perspective, cutting bait with Gasol makes sense.

A trade for Bynum would be strictly for cutting bait, not to upgrade talent.

13. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

I'll AV bet that if the Pacers play the Knicks in the playoffs, the Pacers will win.

14. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO] what? lol

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Luol Deng to Cavs for lazy ass Bynum.

Fuck... I have Deng in fantasty. Hope this doesn't fuck his value up.