1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Melo goes to Chicago: he's just a mercenary looking for a ring! He should have stayed with his home town team! No loyalty!

Melo stays in NY: he has no drive to win! He should have went to Chicago where he could have a chance at winning!

Give me a break... 99.9% of sports "journalism" is pure gasbaggery and nonsense. Just enjoy the goddamn game.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

In an alternate universe somewhere, edmorel is shitting on the Knicks something fierce for the past 30 years. Would be a treat to see

2 people like this.
  3. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, the Knicks have as much money as anyone for the 2015-16 free agents and a Durant/Gasol paired with Melo and whatever other changes Jackson makes will most likely be at least as good as whatever the Bulls put on the floor in '15-16. If he goes to the Bulls on a 4 year contract and Rose can never really get back to form or gets reinjured, then what? The only guarantee is that there wil be 1 team out of the 30 next year that will be a champ. The other guarantee is that Melo will never get the option for a 5 year $100+ milion contract ever again and he would have left about $40mln on the table with Chicago. But yeah, I'm sure Bill Simmons and everyone else saying that he only cares about the money would not have resigned with the Knicks.

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

You know your team hasn't won anything in a while when "Yeah, but at least the owners are making shittons of money!" counts as some sort of selling point.

1 person likes this.
  5. diadem

diadem Senior member

Quote:Obviously there's a way to spin everything he does in a negative light, but the end result is all that matters. I personally want to see him win a ring as I enjoy watching him play and I don't want his legacy to be akin to Reggie Miller's or Charles Barkley's (Barkley is actually ahead of Melo in terms of legacy right now...Barkley was an MVP). I also respect his choice to sign that 9-figure contract if that's what he thinks is best for him and his family. I just don't understand how people can say he did what was best for his career if what he wants is to win championships. On the bright side, if Melo is saddled with a shit supporting cast for the rest of his time in NY, he has a legitimate chance to break Kareem's scoring record. That can be his legacy right there.

6. edmorel

I stopped watching them after JVG quit on them and I missed (or at least did not actively follow) the Starbury years and I picked up again once Stats came on (but only passively). The Riley years, I was a nut case. I had season tickets and not sure how I did not suffer a heart attack during the Bulls and Pacers playoff series. I really got on the bandwagon again with JLin. Outside of NY, people don't realize what he did and what he meant to the city, when he went batshit crazy on the league. I think he still has that in him and I hope he is given a chance in LA, he can be a 18-20ppg and 5-6 apg guy.

3 people like this.
  7. edmorel

well, in the last 15 years there have only been 6 different champs so that leaves 24 teams with nothing else to sell. And if you go back 20 years, only 8 different teams have won and in that 20 year period, Knicks made it to the Finals twice.

8. diadem

diadem Senior member

Quote:Those weren't the only 2 options (signing with CHI for 4 years or signing with NY for 5) at his disposal. The smart thing would have been signing a LeBron-style 2-year contract with Chicago with a player option after the first year. That way he can opt out and come to the Knicks if Phil Jackson's master plan pans out, but he's not wasting a year of his career in his chase for a ring. He's also maintaining the prospect of making even more money because the TV deal will come into play and the salary cap will be adjusted much higher. With this 5-year deal, he's locked into a big contract that will not be so big in a couple seasons. Whatever happens, I just hope Melo can live with the choice he's made, money aside.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

He says bulls could only offer him $15 mill a season four four years which is half of what the knicks could offer him over 5 and I think player option last year

I think pretty much most people would take $125 million over $60 million tho

Melo did make a pretty shit decision asking to be traded last year of his contract which depleted New York of all assets when he could've signed the year after for more money and came to a decent New York team

1 person likes this.
  10. edmorel

yeah you are right, he could have taken shorter deals, even with the Knicks (jackson mentioned him considering a 1 year deal). But he signs a 2 year deal with Bulls, opts out and comes to the Knicks because they are good (assuming there is space and they take him back) then everyone would give him shit for that. Only time will tell whether this was a good or bad decision but I just get this feeling of righteousness/smugness from the writers that are accusing him of simply being about the money when you don't really know what is going to happen with any team. I am not a Melo apologist, I've skewered his ISO game and his selfishness on here before but I think alot of that was because of his enabler, Woodson and his lack of offensive sets. I think Melo is looking at the bigger picture now, in terms of being a more well rounded player, and I think he will take the Knicks to at least the ECF, not next year, but shortly. time will tell though.

11. Neo_Version 7

2 people like this.
  12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I totally agree with this. I was thinking melo could sign a 1 2 year contract with the bulls if he really wanted a championship and then get more monies cuz his max would go up.

I think too many people shit on him tho (and if you read the Simmons article he talks about how melo is one of the best small forwards power forwards of all time). Woodsons sets were terrible and melo had nobody to pass too like kobe and smush Parker era and was still efficient.

13. diadem

diadem Senior member

14. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Eh, I just read it and I don't really agree with him. His whole argument is premised on all teams being equal. The Knicks have advantages that other teams simply do not. They can choose to go way over the cap, pay the tax, and still turn a profit. Other teams cannot operate this way. The Knicks have, in fact, done this for about the past 15 years, but have just been really bad about selecting the players to do it with. Hopefully Phish (Phil and Fisher, not my creation, BTW) can do better in selecting players over the next five seasons.

I should point out that I'm not a Knicks fan, but I think the NBA is more exciting when they're good.

Did you guys know that Simmons and Michael Rapaport are working on 30 or 30 about the 70's Knicks and all the disappointment since? Sounds intriguing.

15. Neo_Version 7

We'll all be eating crow when the Knicks get the 5th seed next season

1 person likes this.
  16. wojt

wojt Senior member

4 people like this.
  17. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

when the linsanity craze hit, every variation of the Knicks Lin jersey and tshirt was sold out and my neighbor in brooklyn at the time promised his kid a tshirt or jersey and was bummed out about not being able to see one and have to time to buy one in time for his birthday that night. I was in New Jersey at that day and saw a Lin knicks shirt and jersey at a sports authority and bought both for the neighbor to give to his son. The look of gratitude and happiness on my neighbor when I gave him the shirt and jersey was priceless.

the best part was that my neighbor was a Puerto rican guy and super knicks fan. thats how big the Linsanity craze was... every damn person no matter what race or religion was captivated and enthralled by it.

1 person likes this.
  18. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

I think Nate is ignoring the projected increase in the salary cap when the NBA signs the new TV deal in 2 years. He's projecting melo to be overpaid at the end of his contract but the league-wide economics will have changed by then so while not a bargain, if melo keeps plugging along he could very well earn his salary for the knicks.

19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Read the article. He includes salary cap projections in his war salary value (11th paragraph)

The Karl Malone war values tho. Holy shit

20. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Anytime I hear Karl Malone I only think of the Man Show sketches.