NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

To idfnl's point, I think hand size and ability to comfortably palm the ball is a factor as well. As a baby lawyer I could dunk a tennis ball or sometimes a volleyball, but couldn't get the same extension with a basketball.

2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The answer is to develop enough vertical to dunk two handed :teach:

3. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

when i was a kid i sent away for these special shoes that were supposed to increase your vertical. bobby hurley endorsed them. i think only gullible white kids from canada bought them. they looked ridiculous and gave me shin splints. but i wanted to dunk like shawn kemp. i would practice on a little grade school basket by my house until my fingers bled. tomahawks and windmills. lots of windmills.

funny how things work out. hurley got in a car accident and never became what he was at duke. kemp turned into a drug addict. i still can’t jump for shit.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  4. wojt

wojt Senior member

true story bro

my first dunk was two-handed off one foot,

Quote:
    I have small hands but I found the way to do it with one-hand
    emulating brent barry see here; some of those dunks from 1;02 (the one on rodman esp)
    after the dribble he doesn't catch the ball in two hands, he just takes it up with the right hand . If you learn to do it
    with comfort it's a great way to dunk on a fastbreak. I really dunked with a lot of power like that(you can cock it back slightly,
    and dunking like this you don't even need to palm it). Just gotta learn the moves. Imo it's best way to utilize all of your jumping ability
    jumping off one leg.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Especially now with those grippy balls I can actually palm a ball pretty easily, but I'm just not tall enough. I can't palm with enough force to do those fast 1 handed fake pass moves, but I can do a slow version of it. Man, back in the late 90's/2000 Brent Barry was a fantasy monster.

6. wojt

wojt Senior member

Yea he had some good years in Seattle, plus he was creative, good to watch. Btw how tall is not tall enough :p ?

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

5' 10"

8. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I dunked once in high school, side of the rim, which I found easier to do and was on a break and was able to palm the ball, I think it was slightly smaller ball. Other than that, I could never get the ball over the rim (or palm it), any dunk attempts were "blocked" by the rim (which actually hurt a bit). After a while though, I stopped caring and would just do the two hands slapping the backboard layup thing.

9. wojt

wojt Senior member

well if you have short arms it could be a problem :p , but tbh some people just have hoops and its easier for them, my 6'0 friend could do a full windmill in his 'prime'
    dunking is overrated anyways

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm proportional, no alligator appendages here. My hands and feet are slightly bigger than averages for my size. I'm pretty athletic but not athletic enough. Strange, I was always a solid shot blocker for my size, even rebounder, but dunking is more pure athleticism whereas blocks and rebounds are effort.

To your point, those 2" to 6' are big. It would have given me an extra 4" of reach and that would have been enough. No question if I was 6' I would have been able to bring it home.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

12. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i dunked 4 days ago and can't walk on either ankle since. in fairness while i am 6'2, i have a 6'9.5 wingspan so no major feat

13. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Great article on Grantland, about the old Stokes Game which was set up to raise money for injured players. Really moving stuff.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Love me some grantland. Thanks for posting

15. wojt

wojt Senior member

Quote:not fair , i'm 6'2 by 6'2 lol