NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Looking at how much weight Jordan has put on, it is somewhat of a small deal. I would think that his (and Dr.J's) verticals have lost quite a few inches, but Jordan is still 6'5"-6'6" (?) and his arms should reach up to 9ft+ without him leaving the ground so if he can jump up 12 inches or so, there is your dunk. Dr. J was taller and his arms seemed a lot longer than Jordan's (and he seems to still be in great shape), so I would be surprised if Dr J can dunk from a running start well into his 70's.

2. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]
    Hard to say how big he has gotten from this, but he looks like he is getting way more than 12" off the ground.

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Not a big deal but he seems to do it with ease, I think that is more surprising.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I don't think its a surprise at all. The dude was playing in the league just a handful of years ago.

I play with guys shorter than 6'6" and about his age that dunk no problem.

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I think it's actually one of the toughest things to keep as you get older. Your fast twitch fibers deteriorate, ligaments not as elastic, more weight to push off the ground.

In my personal experience, I played in HS and college (organized HS, rec and school leagues in college) and specifically trained my vertical. I could dunk during those days but once I stopped emphasizing basketball in my fitness program, my hops left me almost immediately. And then I got older and fatter, and that was it.

But even if you're a pro athlete with the best training and physiology help in the world, and devote an insane amount of time to keeping in shape, things still go south as you age. Kobe and Wade in particular are still very athletic, but as far as raw jumping ability is concerned it's clearly not all there anymore. Looking at Vince Carter today you'd never know he revolutionized dunking when he was younger

6. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

+1 on verticals leaving you quick. I played varsity in HS and could dunk off 1 foot with a running start at 5'11, dunk with two feet with a step. After 2 years of boozing it and never jumping I couldn't dunk at all. Imagine adding aging along with being sedentary.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

I agree with this. Fast-twitch muscles are the first to go. I lost my jumping ability at about 35 y.o., even though I hadn't added any weight. And regular (2x per week) martial arts training didn't bring it all the way back. So I'm impressed with Dr. J and MJ (though MJ's feat seems more like a cry for attention: "Me too. Look at MEEEEEE.").

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  8. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

:lol: Cry for attention? Dude was on his camp and likely had no clue a fan was even filming him, he was just schooling the lil kid. It looks like it is towards the end also since most were clearing out. If he wanted to show off his leaping ability, he could have done it while everyone is watching or just record for the sake of proving it like Dr J did.

10. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

yeah, but he does look small there :confused: He is supposed to be 6'6" and you figure his arms are at least 2 feet long so another 18 inches and his hand as at the rim but in the pic if I had to guess I'd say he is at least 24-30 inches off the ground. Anyway, 50 is not old at all, particularly for someone who was a professional athlete. Dopey, are you falling into the SF-think that anyone above 25 is old (the same SF-think that says someone over 120 lbs is obese, anyone making less than 250k a year is poor etc)

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

He probably had money on it.

12. thinman

thinman Senior member

Zing! (I prefer RFX45's take on it).

13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

black don't crack? :uhoh:

i remember when charles barkley raced that referee some years back.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

this was when barkley was super fat too. looks like barkley can still could run fast. I bet he could dunk even that fat. some guys are just super athletic even after killing their body with bad food, hard partying, alcohol, and illicit drugs (maybe).

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

This. Its true a lot of guys loose their hops with some age but other age much much better. In particular 2 guys I mentioned that I play with are older than me in their late 40's, both are about 6' 5" and they dunk fucking around before the game warming up. Now they can't really dunk in a game situation but they're able to. One dude really has to stretch, the other does it easier.

I could almost dunk around age 19 but just couldnt wrap the ball over the rim. I needed either another 2 inches of extension or hops I didn't have. I can barely touch a rim today, so I've lost about 5 or 6" of vertical which is a lot.

15. wojt

wojt Senior member

Why James crying? This should be in the arenas in 2014 xD

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013