1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

i think they'll be smart enough not to make him a pivotal part of the offense and keep him as a part time defensive anchor. he'd be a huge upgrade if he could make a Tyson Chandler like contribution for 10 minutes a game. Chris Andersen is huge for the Heat second team and the Portland Oden brought everything he does, plus rebounding. so the two of them rotating in and out would give the Heat excellent depth.

the only question in my mind is the Heat's best offense is with Bosh at the 5 - Lebron plus four shooters. that can be frustrating on the glass and defensively against big teams though, so i think Pat Riley's essentially signing Oden to battle the Knicks and the Pacers, but Spoelstra will still choose to go smallball whenever Hibbert or Chandler are off the floor

2. Gibonius

Gibonius Stylish Dinosaur

I was a little surprised that Andersen resigned with the Heat for as little as he did. 1 year, $1.7mil...seems like he could have gotten a lot more somewhere else. Guess a shot at another ring is really worth that much.

Battier will appreciate not having to get beat to death under the boards quite as much.

3. wojt

wojt Distinguished Member

I share that opinion. Picks are a big gamble. Even if it isn't a dood like Ammo/Kwame then you can always end up with guys who just can't stay healthy like Kwame Brown.
    Makes more sense for small markets though; not many big names wanna play in small town in the middle of cornfield/desert. Worked out for Thunder.

I agree I doubt he will be a big factor because of that. But let's see how he will play this season. And if he can stay healthy..

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013

4. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Distinguished Member

5. AceBoogie

AceBoogie Senior Member

is portland just unlikely with dudes like oden and roy getting injured or is there something else?
    I mean, if both were healthy, Oden/LMA/Roy would be nice to see

And Oden going up against Hibbert/Nets front court is going to end his career

6. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

There was an article written by one of their ex medical consultants that basically said their training and medical staff was shit and too under pressure from management to properly look after the players' long term welfare. Oden, Roy, Przybilla and maybe a couple of other guys suffered multiple serious injuries from not being properly looked after and rushed back

Dunno if it's someone with an ax to grind but it was an interesting read...

7. wojt

wojt Distinguished Member

It's gonna be interesting season for sure
    I'm curious how Nets will play with KG Garnett and Terry

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

8. conradwu

conradwu Affiliate Vendor

I honestly don't see Oden making as big an impact as everyone might suggest. Maybe a minor upgrade over The Warden.

He's good for 10-15 minutes max and I highly doubt that he'll be able to play more than 30-40% of the games. It's been about 4 years since he's last played and I can see him struggling hard against physical teams such as the Pacers/Bulls/Nets, especially in the Playoffs. Don't expect him to see many, if any, minutes against small ball teams who like to push the tempo.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Stylish Dinosaur

It's not like they're going to need him against small ball teams. Nobody is on the level of the Heat in small ball right now. Where they need help is against the physical teams, and they're taking a flier that he can come back. They saw him work out, we didn't. Other teams were pushing hard for him too, so it seems probably that he at least looks good. He got more interest than Bynum, although that probably says more about Bynum than Oden.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

He can just follow Shaq's "play myself into shape for the playoffs" approach. That always worked out well.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

Do they really need anything more than that from him? If they can get a good 10-15 minutes per game from him in those playoff series where they feel they need more of a post presence, I assume they'd be very happy.

12. conradwu

conradwu Affiliate Vendor

Call me a pessimist but I'm being generous with 10-15 min a game, let alone playoffs. I actually expect him to get injured half way through the season and be out for the year.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Stylish Dinosaur

that spallacamiccia quote is a gift that keeps on giving. i read it with fresh eyes every 6 months and i react to it just the same: wtf, lol?

14. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

15. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur