1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the times Tony goes hero-ball and isn't pulled by coach Pop it seems like its by design: where Pop says "fuck it... take over!" and lets parker run 5 pick and rolls in 24 second sets just to get free to slash to the hole for a floater/pull up jumper.

then the defense gets tired keeping up with parker and then they go back to slash and kick to mix it up.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  2. wojt

wojt Senior member

Also until game 3 of thunder series Parker was by far the best player on the floor, including Portland series where he flat out destroyed Lilard and the whole Blazers team(who is supposedly better than Parker :S). After he got hurt he was less aggressive and less plays were run for him, but luckily other spurs played awesome after that.

also this garbage argument parker is a system pg is so damn stupid and gets really old. In 2005/2006 he puts up 19/6 shooting 55% from the floor playing 2nd gun to Duncan playing diff basketball than spurs now, not to mention he is solid in all his years after that season. Or dominates FIBA Eurobasket but apparently his current success is the result of spurs system...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Seems we are stuck in the same obsession that all league GM's are: youth trumps all and it clouds the conversation. The reasons a GM may rate a guy are much different than his effective value. Yeah, a GM may wish for Thomas as "piece" but it stops there, he is nowhere close to the same player.

4. wojt

wojt Senior member

Also if you watch spurs games the most points/assists Parker gets playing pick and roll with Duncan, then there are some drives to the basket after the switch or w/e, transition baskets and points scored of this double low screen that they play for him.

watch these two videos, most of the points here he can score playing with any team really.
    many of these plays would work if he played with Gortat or Amir fucking Johnson
    not now nor in the past his success was determined by him being a 'system player'...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  5. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

ESPN is silly with its NBA FA news/hoopla, but there are a few interesting threads. There's a part of me that could see Carmelo coming to LA. If he wants a winning NBA culture, they have mucho titles, teaming up with Gasol would be ideal for him, and let's face it, LA is awesome and his wife has good connections there.

I find it shocking that an NBA player, however, would leave that much money on the table. This will be Melo's last max deal, so in terms of dollars he should stay in NYC.

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

if Melo wants to win, he should go to the Bulls. he's leaving money in the table anyway with every team but the Knicks

7. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

*coughTimDuncancough*

*coughDirkNowitzkicough*

8. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Did they do it around age 29-30, as well as 35ish+?

9. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

With a healthy Rose, they don't need Melo. Chemistry wise, that don't seem like a good fit.

Melo would win a ring in Houston. Harden isn't enough.

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Disagree. A healthy Rose couldn't get them out of the East, and now their do everything guy Deng is gone and Boozer is now completely useless.

Melo is too much of an overlap with Harden, especially because both play horrid defense and acquiring Melo means they have to lose a good defender in Asik. Houston isn't a better fit than Chicago.

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Asik is already gone to NO.

12. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

A healthy Rose prior to the Heat championships was still pretty young. 22, 23? A more healthy, and mature Rose would do a lot better now. Bulls, and Melo do not need each other.

13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

22, I think. But you think he'd be able to top an MVP season coming off multiple major knee surgeries? Because he'd have to play even better than that to get to the Finals without his best perimeter help from that year. That and the Miami 3 would have to break up.

Melo takes the scoring burden partially and he can also hide on defense because everyone else is so good at it. Even though it will give Thibs an aneurysm.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  14. wojt

wojt Senior member

But Melo can stay in NYK and be a part of a winning culture. if Phil Jackson gets Pau Gasol and they keep Melo they are a playoff team again. Swapping Felton for Calderon will help that, both can't defend good but Calderon is not a headcase and a guy that can be part of winning culture and a functional team. Then just slowly add to that. I think most players look at many things no0t just winning or money alone but a combination of both. Lakers don't look much better than Knicks atm. Bulls winning wise
    would be a better but then again there's money and there's the city- living in NY seems a bit more appealing to most players.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

OrganIzation run by James Dolan < > winning culture

But you are right about NY being where the money is, as well as one of the best places to live for him

1 person likes this.
  16. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I admit I'm a fan of the LeBron drama. Every day there is a new front runner to compete with the Heat for his services. Today, Cleveland is a legit contender.

• Best young nucleus -- Irving and Wiggins locked up for 5-year contracts, Bennett is more of a flyer, but I think has four years left. There's also that Tristan guy
    • Can offer a max deal -- Just need to unload one salary, such as Jack, otherwise would be close to max
    • Future flexibility
    • Good vibes

I realize Cleveland isn't the best market, and obviously there are hard feelings between Dolan and LeBron, but from a pure future projection standpoint Cleveland does make sense. LeBron and Irving would be a fantastic pairing, and Wiggins playing some spot-on defense would be the perfect core. Bennett is more like gravy if he comes on, but I have my doubts having seen rather reckless play and behavior.

17. diadem

diadem Senior member

Quote:That ESPN article about the Knicks eyeing Pau Gasol is a load of crap. NY's salary cap situation is fucked and the only way they can sign both Gasol and Melo (if they keep their current roster intact) is if they offer Pau less than $4 million for next season. That's laughable. He's easily worth $10+ for at least the next 2 or 3 seasons. The Knicks also have no trade assets to offload in order to clear cap space for him.

18. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Word rn is that LeBron is considering "retiring" ala MJ for a year. :confused:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  19. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Lol I just read that he's probably going to sign with the Cavaliers.

This is the worst part of the nba season, nothing else going on, all the bullshit gets printed. Although it's admittedly somewhat exciting.

20. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I've decided just to stop reading these rumor stories/posts. I'll read about where all these cabrons sign when they actually do sign