• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm hoping Artest makes his way to the Knicks.
I also think that the Howard in Houston thing has a 50/50 chance of working out well or going to ****. Harden is a ball dominator, he does get more assists than I would expect but he requires the ball in his hands on almost every possession and he decides when to distribute or when to go to the rim/take a 3. If Howard actually had the balls/stupidity to expect the Lakers to amnesty Kobe and have the Lakers be his team, what is he expecting in Houston? I have to believe that he expects to be the number 1 option and the number 1 shot taker. he could very well be the 3rd option in that offense after Harden and Parsons, as the Rockettes are a run and gun team. How is he going to handle that? And if the Rockets change their game to accommodate him, what does that do to Chandler and Harden? I would not be surprised to see Houston in the same situation that the Lakers were in this year. Howard could very well marsupial the growth of all that young talent Houston has.

i've heard from a friend who is close to the lakers that the big frustration with howard was that he has the skill sets to be a great p&r big man, but that he refuses to think of himself that way and insists that he's going to be the next kareem/hakeem. which, of course, explains his sky-high TO count.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think everyone is over that whole fiasco. O'neal and Jackson were all involved too and are all in the clear now, granted Artest wasn't the biggest part of that brawl but it wasn't 100% his fault and again, people are over it. Dude did not choke his coach like Sprewell did, or Kobe and Denver. Someone threw a cup at him and Artest overreacted, it wasn't some crap he did for some ***** and giggles.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thats actually a much bigger signing than the media/league will think it is. MWP is not washed up and he brings a lot in intangibles to the game that no one else on the Knicks really has and he solidifies an already solid bench.

+1000
with all the drama on the lakes this year, mwp's season kind of got overshadowed, but he had a really good year. he's still a terrific on-ball defender, though not quite as quick as he used to be (amazing hands, though). his shot was pretty solid most of the year and he actually was moving well, after several years when he ran like a bear on roller skates.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think everyone is over that whole fiasco. O'neal and Jackson were all involved too and are all in the clear now, granted Artest wasn't the biggest part of that brawl but it wasn't 100% his fault and again, people are over it. Dude did not choke his coach like Sprewell did, or Kobe and Denver. Someone threw a cup at him and Artest overreacted, it wasn't some crap he did for some ***** and giggles.

continuing my mwp love-fest (i really will miss the guy): the brawl was almost 10 years ago. and you've got to give mwp props -- he eventually realized he had a problem and got help for it. he's seriously wacky ... don't know if he's actually crazy or just wired different ... but he's a guy who TRIES to do the right thing, even if he short-circuits once in a while.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This has become an Artest love fest suddenly. That the guy is a major dickhead so if he was picked up by a team he didn't want to play for he's **** that locker room up.

I think that explains it better than anything else. Sure, lots of teams have 2m to spend on him but they were all smart enough to stay away.

You really don't know **** about basketball do you?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

continuing my mwp love-fest (i really will miss the guy): the brawl was almost 10 years ago. and you've got to give mwp props -- he eventually realized he had a problem and got help for it. he's seriously wacky ... don't know if he's actually crazy or just wired different ... but he's a guy who TRIES to do the right thing, even if he short-circuits once in a while.

He really does try to be a good man, dude auctioned off his championship ring for charity for gods sake.

Plus the Lakers likely wouldn't win that one chip w/o him.

In Game 5 of the 2010 Western Conference Finals, Artest hit a game-winning shot at the buzzer after grabbing a last second offensive rebound. He scored 25 points against the Phoenix Suns in Game 6 and went to the NBA Finals for the first time in his career. In the finals, the Lakers defeated the Boston Celtics, four games to three. Artest scored 20 points in the clincher and sank the team's last field goal – a three-pointer late in the fourth quarter – to virtually seal the victory. Afterwards, Lakers head coach Phil Jackson called Artest the most valuable player of Game 7 against the Celtics.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Plus the Lakers likely wouldn't win that one chip w/o him.

i was at that game 5. one of the most exciting bball games i've seen in person (and i covered ncstate/houston in the final4)

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You really don't know **** about basketball do you?

Yawn

Edit: I suppose I should give a substantive response even though NorCal is being a dumbass.

MWP is not a guy I'd ever bring in as a GM or coach.

I wouldn't want guys with a history. I wouldn't want JR Smith, Sprewell, D Howard, Kenyon Martin, S Jackson, Rodman, even Rasheed who I actually like. I've had opportunities to personally hire guys that have shown me a glimpse of risk and I pass. I'm risk averse in general. I believe that with this kind of $ at stake you're supposed to keep it clean. Like K Garnett, he gets **** here, but has the guy ever caused a public problem? No. He's a model pro, and the kind of guy I'm willing to pay.

Some may be great players or even all stars, but I wouldn't want to invest salary and that much risk in a ticking time bomb. Let someone else take the risk, I'll keep paying guys like Duncan.

Lastly, since homophobe NorCal triggered the thought, anyone else notice that Jason Collins has not gotten a deal?

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Farewell Mike, we'll always have 2012 Finals Game 5

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads