NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    personally, i'd be happier right now trading artest and gasol ... i still think bynum is going to be the "carrier" that drives the team into the next decade. i think artest is just too unpredictable about whether he's going to show up to play or not. and i'm afraid gasol, whom i dearly love, is probably too smart to play this much basketball and just doesn't have the heart for the long run.

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Nah, that's crazy. Pau is still one of the most skilled big man out there, if not the best. You'd be loko to let go of him. He's had his dry spells this season but it hasn't been the most terrible. He was playing much better before Bynum returned but come playoff time, Pau will be more reliable than Bynum. Bynums injury just irritates me and the fact that he postponed his operation this past summer for 3-4 weeks was just frustrating. I mean wouldn't he want to get it done as soon as possible to leave him more time to recover before the season started?

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

as i understand it, he delayed with the approval of the laker staff, then when they got in to correct, they found it was different than what had been diagnosed and would require a longer heal-time.
    i love pau and his game ... but i've just got this feeling that he's lost the fire. i should also say, that i think there is probably something a little odd about anyone in their 30s who still is consumed by the game the way the kobes, magics, jordans and birds are/were.

4. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

no one has lost the finals , no one has lost the first round yet. whirlwind of comments, criticisms, and trade speculations. i want to keep pau, bynum and artest. even AS IS, we still have the most potential to win the finals . artest and jackson will sort it out.

5. 13k

13k Senior member

no one has lost the finals , no one has lost the first round yet. whirlwind of comments, criticisms, and trade speculations. i want to keep pau, bynum and artest. even AS IS, we still have the most potential to win the finals . artest and jackson will sort it out.

Truth.

Pau is kinda soft again this year. There's just no passion in his play. He still with his girl Silvia... makes me wonder if trouble at home carried into his game.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

Truth.

Pau is kinda soft again this year. There's just no passion in his play. He still with his girl Silvia... makes me wonder if trouble at home carried into his game.

Honestly, I think he's probably too smart and too well-adjusted to be a basketball player for this long. that's not necessarily a knock against the kobes of the world, but you have to admit that their worldview is fairly limited. to get to that level and stay at that level as long as they have takes a dedication and concentration (to what is, after all, a child's game) that is abnormal. Rather than his girlfriend distracting him, I'd probably put it down more to his visits to childrens hospitals.

7. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

No way you trade Pau. You don't even think about it. He's lost the "fire" the way any other player not named Kobe or MJ lost the fire...by winning two in a row. You almost have to be not human (see: KB24 or MJ23) to maintain that elite/redline level of intensity or "fire" for 82 regular season games + 3 full playoff runs + olympics + euro basketball.

He'll be fine for the playoffs.

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i hope you're right. i really do like the guy.

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

kobe on conan:

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i like these nba headlines from sites like espn, AP, realGM, etc these days:

"Artest looking to be traded!"

"Artest says he never said he wanted to be traded!"

"carmelo will not sign extension and wants to go to NJ!"

"carmelo said he never wanted to be traded"

"CP wants out of new orleans!"

"CP said he never wanted out of New orleans"

shees

11. 13k

13k Senior member

These reporters are the TMZ of the sports world. Drama. I hope Pau shows up tonight vs. TD.

12. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

again.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

These reporters are the TMZ of the sports world. Drama. I hope Pau shows up tonight vs. TD.

Shaq used to own Duncan.

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

shaq used to own everybody. now he looks like a bus driver in a ymca game.

15. sexandcandy

sexandcandy Senior member

i have respect for tim duncan and his body of work, but he has no business being an all-star this year, even out of respect. lamarcus aldridge, kevin love, zach randolph and even lamar odom deserve it more than he does. what a joke

also i find it crazy that four celtics made it to the all-star team, but they're certainly deserving. all avering career highs in fg% and they're clearly the team to beat in the east.