1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i've said this before about pau -- he's an immensely talented player who is just to smart to be a truly great basketball player. which is not to say that truly great basketball players cannot be smart, but they have to have a level of single-minded focus that argues against it.

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I take your point, but off the top of my head: Jabbar? Russell has always struck me as really smart. Bill Bradley was a great college player, but probably falls a bit short of that mark as a pro.
    I think Walton's pretty smart, but he's like buddies of mine who are really smart but also dumbshits at the same time.

I've seen Oscar Robertson as the witness in a deposition. Not particularly smart.

1 person likes this.
  3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

I can see Jabbar. But having spent some time with him, there's also a deep core of a kind of very pissed-off needing to prove himself-ness (just made that word up!). And that's kind of my point. At a stage in life where most people are mature and mellowing out, an elite athlete still has to have something that pushes him to spend the crazy gym hours that are necessary. From all accounts, Steve Nash is a smart, very cool, well-rounded guy. But I have a hard time thinking of very many others who fit that bill. Don't know anything about Duncan as a person, but he seems like he could be. I think, just from second hand, that Robinson probably was that way.

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

No argument there. I get the same vibe from Jabbar, although in my case it's all through second-hand accounts and press reports.

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i meant to respond to this earlier. yes, it does. he's clearly Phil's guy. i am very skeptical of this Wizard of OZ thing that Phil is trying to pull, i think it won't work unless Fisher proves to be a good coach in his own right.

one advantage to this arrangement is that Fisher is probably a better player than the Knicks current starting PG, so he can add value in that way as well :laugh:

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

he and i had books come out together and did a couple of signings at the same time (shocker: his lines were longer). He'd get up and walk around with a full line of people and he just signed, never acknowledged anyone or chatted. it was just work.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

At least you didn't try to snake his parking spot at the froyo place.

8. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nope. Violates the salary cap rules. Otherwise, you would be correct.

9. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

rondo's supposed to be very smart. also a weird loner. battier (not a superstar tho by any means), grant hill.

10. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
  11. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

amazing

1 person likes this.
  12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

holy fuck, is that a typo? Spurs shooting 90% from the field???

13. diadem

diadem Senior member

Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green taking turns splitting the Heat defense out the back...

14. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

:bounce2: omgomgomg spurs offense. they could regress to the mean in the 2nd half and still comfortably shoot 60%

1 person likes this.
  15. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Heat are shooting 55% at the half and they're down by 21. Go figure!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

That's an offensive display for the record books. I always judge a winner of a game by how much easier they seem to score. The word seem is irrelevant here.

Van Gundy made a great point, sometimes when its this easy offensively, you start to relax defensively. SA needs to keep the pressure on. They only really need to score 2 for every 3 miami scores in the 2nd to win.

That display was also Miami's failure... hate to hate on them but they don't look hungry for championships anymore.

17. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

Lol Spurs in collapse mode.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  18. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

and the "FANS(boys)" start to leave. what a joke.

lol wtf game are you watching? here's to watching the Spurs "collapse mode" to two more wins.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    3 people like this.
  19. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Come on, they have great fans! Floyd Mayweather and Rick Ross :lol:

1 person likes this.